1/48 spitfire vb...Malta

Hello!

I have redone this post as i am having a tech nightmare!

So the aim is to build the old tooling airfix spitfire VB which is actually from the 2010 vc boxing . The easy option may have been to build a vc with the newer parts as they are more detailed..... but i'm not..... I really love squadron leader johnny lynch's AC from his time on malta.

http://agapemodels.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/lynch-spitfire.jpg

1/48 is not my thing I am a 1/72 kinda chap, but this is for my kids ceiling (their request!) Which is about 11 ft high and I want them to see it. It needs to be blue as that's what they and the wife want.... I did offer a big lancaster but after it was described as a "big black angel of death" ( there must be nose art for that??) I thought I won't push it.

Having looked at the kit and considered my experience I feel out of my comfort zone..... but what the hey let's give it a go.

I am in no way a good modeller so please lower your expectations as this will be more for support than showing anyone How it's done!

So here's where I am at.

Wings assembled

http://rs76.pbsrc.com/albums/j34/robertmulvey1985/Mobile%20Uploads/20150405_075551_zpsyjnrnlca.jpg~320x480?t=1428177410

http://rs76.pbsrc.com/albums/j34/robertmulvey1985/Mobile%20Uploads/20150405_075604_zpseshforo3.jpg~320x480?t=1428177362

I have chopped off the wing tips of the vb and added the clipped wing inserts, these are not made for this version and need more attention to get them right.... fill sand fill sand and hope I don't have to put detail back in!

Internals have been given a lock of paint and need detailing and weathering

http://rs76.pbsrc.com/albums/j34/robertmulvey1985/Mobile%20Uploads/20150405_075509_zpssaxebr6t.jpg~320x480?t=1428175749
So just a basic start more to come! And hopefully I will fine a way of embedding the pics as it's really not working out for me!

Cheers

Rob

Edited by rob85
  • Like 2

Sorry Tony no offence ment, I had referenced you in the original post however I re wrote it due to not being able to get the pic's of my work done and have managed to omit that.

It was used as reference for the blue I feel is correct and would like to achieve.

Again no offence meant and PIC is removed

Rob

So not the most glorious start to my first wip but hey we live and learn?

Anyway I have decided I want to have this depicting one of the two load outs described in the below website, the site also give a great insight into the chap that flew this AC.

So that's either with a set of 250 lb bombs or a slipper tank, both of which I think are on their way! So will decide when they arrive.....

So progess!

Cockpit has been detailed, again this is the first time I have done this I normally just dry brush it to bring in some detail. I still want to add the oxygen bottle and Sutton harness which will hopefully be tomorrow. All detailing is tamiya acrylic paint, high lighted first with pencil then aluminium flat Then finished with a home made enamel wash to dull it down and add depth if that makes sense.

image_zps62kmbqcr.jpg

image_zpsaxklwuu9.jpg

image_zps2orjrv1p.jpg

image_zpsabnqqg6o.jpg

The seat was painted with enamel mix of Hu 60 and 33, first painted with 60, washed with black then painted with the mix to get the colour depth and variation, and what hopefully comes across as worn, high lighting on the edges was a bit of enamel Hu 90.

The bottles behind the seat were scratch made from milliput and detail with pencil, again I want to scratch build the other bottle. I did think of doing wiring but didn't feel confident and dont have any wire! Seat belts will be masking tape.

All brush painted, any pointers on improvements of tips one how I can move forward here then please as this is the aim of the wip. I know I need to make my painting cleaner.

Wings have been sanded with 650 wet and dry after being filled with milliput,cannons added and given a tidy.

image_zps5k5tevfd.jpg

image_zpsru3zftmj.jpg

So that's where we are. Next up finishing off cockpit and closing her up!

Again comment and critique aways welcome as it can only help me move forward

Cheers all

Rob

P.s. sorry about the links. I have done anything I am supposed to but it's keeps saying that the extention is not allowed on this community? I'm using photobucket. Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by rob85
  • Like 2

When you are using photobucket, just left click the IMG link from the links menu and then paste that immediately into your post where you want your pic.

Alternatively, you can use the image button to paste the "Copy Image URL" content after right clicking your picture. It makes it a heck of a lot easier on the viewer to have all the photos in the post, as then we don't have to click back and forth.

Nice job so far, the photos are really nice and of good quality. :)

• Like 1

Cheers MG, helpful as ever! I had been copying the url link but need the direct link to post here.... how frustrating but at least I know how to do it now.

If there are any more issues viewing please let me know!

Rob

Cheers for the comment, its appreciated.

Not going to lie if I had the money I would have got the new tool as it has everything I need. But this is not a bad kit considering and deserves a build. Also I picked it up with a hase hurri mk iic for just over the price of the new tool which helped.

ginger step child..... I won't show the wife that comment, she still has hang ups from school! Lol but I know what you mean.

However I have now noticed that this kit has the wrong prop so I'm off to find one some how.

Cheers all

Rob

Edited by rob85

Rob,

1:72 Is THE scale but I am pleased to see you building this Spitfire in 1:48...it will be great to follow your build..

I like seeing any scale of build as any scale still uses techniques and ideas to create lovely models...so GO FOR IT :thumbsup:

Nice start ..keep it up... :yahoo:

• Like 1

Cheers Houston, the comments are appreciated.

Agree with you on scale, I feel more comfortable with 1/72 but hopefully working in a bigger scale will give me some experience I can take back to my smaller kits! Let's see how it goes, it could be a car crash (I suppose plane crash would be more accurate)

Rob

• Like 1

So I got some time to myself! Kids at school/preschool and the wife had two interviews so basically the whole day... even went to the library and robbed them of all the aircraft ref and BofB related books to help with my GB choice.... very excited.

So I have made a little harness out of masking tape added a bit of detail and a brown wash to add colour

20150416_190152_RichtoneHDR_zpsdz7tg42a.

Last of the detail added apart from the oxygen bottle I tried to add.... It didn't work out. Have to say I was rather happy with it till I took a picture.

20150416_190131_RichtoneHDR_zpssjbdgtmb.

All glued in and the fit of the pedals and control column was appalling and completely off centre it was beyond me to fix so I am living with it!

Dry fitted the fuselage and found that the locator pins were off so I have removed them so it could be lined up and this is the best I got

20150416_100311_RichtoneHDR_zpsrc1vph2l.

Again this will need a good amount of filler me thinks.

I now have the right prop! After some confusion from myself troy came to my rescue to tell me I was mixed up for one, that he knew which prop I needed depending on the work I wanted to do for two and for three sent me the flipping thing in the post! Then sent me tonnes of links for spitfire info and info on early cannon hurricane's of 151 sqn.... again massive thank you troy! Below is your prop assembled and painted.

20150416_201315_RichtoneHDR_zpsrcmgk432.

Also what do people think of the blue? it's the colour I am using for the upper surface and it will also be weathered and faded in patches (I hope!)

And here is the prop finished

20150416_215130_RichtoneHDR_zpst5fzm7vu.

What do we think? Is it correct? It's my first try with chipping.

So while all that was left and setting I did some work on the wings and wheels. Added the wheels up ( gap, looks to big where the wheel spar attaches to the airframe!?) And I practiced some pre shading. I still need to prime but this was to see what it was like as i have not done this bit before....It may come to nothing!

20150416_194955_RichtoneHDR_zps71r5ut1f.

I also painted the exhausts they will need weathering but should they be redder? Hmmmm

20150416_195140_RichtoneHDR_zpsjxeoljpy.

So that's really everything for today... Next step is finish the gun sight and button her up, fill sand and prime (I missed out a few steps of filling and sanding I should imagine)

Would love to hear what you guys think and what I have done wrong/could do better. Most of this is a first for me so look at this to improve.

Cheers all!

Rob

• Like 2

Looking great Rob, what will you use for primer? Another thing I am wondering, are you using acrylic or alkyd based paints for the finish?

Looking forward to seeing more, keep at it when you get the chance! :)

• Like 1

Cheers MG its appreciated!

For primer I have halfords spray grey primer for plastics. I will confess that I never use primer but feel this has held me back on the finish of my brush painting.

Paint wise its mainly tamiya and humbrol acrylic paints thinned with flow improver. I have used rubber black, flat aluminium and the nose cone has been painted flat blue this will be the same for the airframe but will be weathered with many colours underneath and on top hopefully, I have my post its ready for this point as I want to create the panal variation through your method MG. Hu 78 was used for internals and 24 for the tips of the prop all acrylic but the washes are hu enamel as well as the exhaust and seat. Underside will be mixed from hu enamels, I will be trying to make azure blue, I'll post some of the samples to get peoples opinions on the best look.

Not to sure about chipping method yet so any pointer please do say!

Never used an alkyd based paint, is there a benefit?

Cheers

Rob

Edited by rob85
  • Like 1

Looks great Rob. I wouldn't make the exhausts any redder as they didn't rust as much as some think. They were more of a burnt iron dort of colour.

Cheers, I have been looking at pictures other models and the real AC's and all seam to vray. I was going to run some dry brushed steel over, then weather with pastals once I have finished the main AC.

Is the props weathering correct? I have done it before on two other ac's but that was applied on top of the black, this is the first time I have chipped the black off the flat aluminium.

Also I am trying to decide how to load this one. I have received a slipper tank and two 250 lb bombs. ... but not sure which Two go with, if you read the above link for more info on the pilot it would appear he had sorties with both (obviously he could have used a different ac for these different sorties but then he could have use the same as we know vb could have bombs retro fitted using racks it been put on here a number of times)

Anyway if you have a preference please let me know.

Cheers

Rob

Edited by rob85

So I added the sight and buttoned her up.... well it's a bit ummmmm. ... naff. The fit is poor as the photos will show, this is the best I could get as if you line up one area on the another is misaligned. Slightly disappointed as it ill need alot of work to clear up (Yes some of this could have been avoided by me being a little more meticulous)

Oh well, it's looking like a spitfire at least. I will lose most of the detail in the sanding, anyone have a way of avoiding this?

20150418_080928_RichtoneHDR_zpswtyhozyz.

20150418_081000_RichtoneHDR_zpszdagjplt.

20150418_081015_RichtoneHDR_zpsyuz2ohwi.

20150418_080916_RichtoneHDR_zpsraedzjra.

20150418_080904_RichtoneHDR_zpslnfpalzn.

I will pluck up the courage to start filling and sanding.... oh hum

Cheers

Rob

Why didn't I just get the new tool.....

• Like 2

I certainly wouldn't buy another of these kits now Rob, new tool all the way.

But you're making a good job of this, your belts look great too. Looking forward to see your progress.

• Like 1

I certainly wouldn't buy another of these kits now Rob, new tool all the way.

But you're making a good job of this, your belts look great too. Looking forward to see your progress.

Thanks good of you to say, but I can't see it myself.... I can just blame the kit though.

Completely agree with you, get some new tools under the belt after this

Cheers for the encouragement

Rob

HI Rob

exhaust are discoloured steel, and only really go rusty if left alone. They change as they age, and then burn out...

a quick Trawl through Eitienne's Flickr

https://www.flickr.com/search/?w=8270787@N07&q=spitfire

15074951115_dbd4361253_c.jpg

14780326836_be4424d2a4_c.jpg

AVM Keith Park, in his interesting coloured Spitfire on Malta.

5563260675_4f42c78001_b.jpg

Note the way the first stack is different colour than the other two, they get exhaust deposits, lots of lead oxide from Tetra Ethyl Lead in the fuel.

Lots more colour shots in the link.

cheers

T

• Like 2

As ever troy, thank you for that I will add more steel to them so they are not so rust coloured as they are now to hopefully add a realistic touch!

Also all those colour pictures in the link are beautiful. Thanks again

Rob

I had a crap day at work today so it feels good to have progress on this.... actually I had a crap day yesterday, had to drive to London in the beautiful weather only to get stuck in traffic next to the polish mk9 spitfire in London (static display at a museum on an airfield outside london) while I roast in my kia picanto on the way back out.... and I didn't even have the time to stop and have a nose round the thing, it just glinted at me . Oh well I set off at 5 am and got home at 9 PM, and I can't even tell you if I got anything out of, the day.... rant over......flipping work.....

So I had been delaying the sanding etc as it is not something I enjoy or I am even good at. Considering the step between the fuselage half's and the wings upper not wanting to fit to the fuselage I feel I have done ok!

20150424_203212_RichtoneHDR_zpsn91jrs7a.

20150424_203227_RichtoneHDR_zpsdrtwtlsn.

The wing roots will still need a bit of work, the dark colour is the paint I put down so I can see the seem better. I also fitted the canopy with white glue and masked it, after masking I applied a matt clear coat which worked really well with the hampden, I did use a gloss varnish before masking.

Then I decided to re shape the 'thrust line' (where is cedb when you need him) as it didn't fit the prop.... The prop that got broken off while I sanded, along with the gun sight and cannon.... anyway I think it looks better now.

20150424_203156_RichtoneHDR_zpsuufn51ii.

Anyway, I have now primed this (I never normally do this as have said) halfords grey plastic primer from a can, and it makes a big difference to the finish. Much cleaner and I can see I need a little more work on the wing roots.

20150424_212244_RichtoneHDR_zps9mkh4yg2.

20150424_212202_RichtoneHDR_zpsescj5ud0.

20150424_212308_RichtoneHDR_zpsqeknbv71.

Don't know what I did to the nose.... sand paper back out. Also I do not like the shape if the wings, I should have followed MG's advice from his build thread and fitted the upper wing to the fuselage then fitted the lowers once dry as that would have cleared any wing root issues and wing shape. Never mind it's all about the learning no?

Is a shame most of this is raised detail as i have lost a lot of panel lines from sanding, I intend to represent these through pre and post shading which is next!.

Cheers all

Rob

• Like 3

Cheers both very much appreciated. I have just given her 3thin coats of various shades of blue and will then use a variation on the post it note method to bring out some sort of panel lines and have a varied coat of paint. Let's see shall we

Rob