1/35 Revell Leopard 2A6 - help needed

Hello fellow modelers!

After building only airplane kits, mostly ww2, I have decided to try something new and bought myself the Revell's Leopard 2, as it recieved good reviews. Especially regarding the fit, which is my weakest link in building.

After the start I noticed that two front parts don't really fit, picture below. Does anyone have some experience with this kit and can tell me how to make this part fit, as the hole is quite visible:

20150405183517.jpg

Further, should I fill the front joint and sand it, or let it be. This part comes together quite nicely, however I can't find any refference:

20150404184123.jpg

Thank you for your help, Jaka.

Edited by Jaky88

I'm part way through building this kit. Not an enjoyable build for me and those problems are elsewhere as well but with a little effort it comes together.

Haven't added the parts in the first photo as yet so can't help there.

Second photo I had the same problem so filled and sanded smooth.

Hope this helps a little.

P

Thank you for your comments. I was looking for the nets online, however i cant find the right colour (light grey), as i plan to do it unicolour.

PDH, I have fixed the problem. Really happy at the moment. It fits perfectly if you remove the small part in the red circle. Solution in the pics below. As seen in Andy's picture, the gap must be slighty visible and it is.

Andy, thank you. Your picture answers alot of my other questions.

2015040521264211.jpg

Not the best picture, but it fixes the problem:

20150405212629.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the update Jaky. I'll sort mine out soon and follow your changes.

I'll add a thin weld to the front glacis plate using very thin plastic rod melted with Tamiya Extra thin to represent the weld.

Peter

• 2 weeks later...

Hello guys, I haven't been around much lately as I'm studying. However I was able to do some work.

First off are two parts from soft plastic. I don't know how to properly sand them as sand paper is too rought and the plastic is too flexible. PDH, what was your experience with this parts?

20150418212731.jpg

The hull came together nicely and there were no problems installing parts on this stage (3,4,5,6,7 and 8 in the manual). The parts needed a little sanding but that's it.

20150418212749.jpg

The top part came on pretty good, unfortuately I had a mishap when cutting it from the sprue, as shown below. The line seen from Andy's picture is nicely visible and it seems accurate.

20150418212804.jpg

The fit of the details on stage 12 is a bit poor and the joints dont touch the hull, but this isn't really visible, so i didn't feel the need to repair it. On the left side I had a mishap with the glue, which badly damaged the lines. However I think I managed to repair it properly.

20150418213623.jpg

Thank you for your help.

Jaka

I've been looking for some camo netting online, but I don't seem to find any other that Eduards PE in wrong colours.

Can anyone recomend me a good camo netting and can I paint it?

Jaka

Hello guys, I haven't been around much lately as I'm studying. However I was able to do some work.

First off are two parts from soft plastic. I don't know how to properly sand them as sand paper is too rought and the plastic is too flexible. PDH, what was your experience with this parts?

20150418212731.jpg

Thank you for your help.

Jaka

Sorry haven't touched those as yet. From experience on other kits with this type of plastic its best not to sand at all, use a very sharp, new blade and cut.

This is where I'm at -

IMG_2120%20Resized_zpsxxjk2tsu.jpg

IMG_2122%20Resized_zpswt4ro1r7.jpg

IMG_2121%20Resized_zpsmmrjbmm3.jpg

IMG_2123%20Resized_zpsyljcbquj.jpg

Tried adding the weld lines to the front glacis plate but didn't look right so removed them and just left rough filler in the joint. Will see what it looks like after priming. Also all the addition bits on the front cover a lot of the joint any way.

Biggest issues is all the sink marks, just look at the spare track link on the front glacis plate!!

Edited by PDH
  • Like 1

http://tanknutdave.com/the-german-leopard-2-series/

For possible variations of camo. I haven't been around much, so I didn't work on the kit as much as I would have wanted. I'm hoping I'll be able to post progress in next few days.

And remember, the primer is much like a mother-in-law. It only exposes your mistakes and does absolutely nothing to repair them :)

Cheers, Jaka

Edited by Jaky88

Hey guys, today I did the stages 14 and 15. No issues there, only the small parts need alot of sanding as the sink marks are visible everywhere. I did a test on the weld lines with tamiya putty. I think it works well and I will dot it for real in the front glacis plate.

20150423213645.jpg

Does anyone know where to buy camo netting like this:

http://www.missing-lynx.com/gallery/modern/images/leopard2a6hl_4.jpg

Cheers, Jaka

Edited by Jaky88

• 2 weeks later...

A quick update. I skipped the stages with the small parts as they will be added at the end.

So far no real problems. The upper plate was a nice fit:

20150423213645.jpg

I did the weld lines with tamiya putty as shown on a picture above.

Da cannon barrel came together nicely but the joints are visible on one side so I had to correct it:

20150509093753.jpg

Comments are welcome.

Cheers, Jaka

• 2 weeks later...

The kit is now primed and it will be painted in Finnish colours (so I can use masking tape and don't have to do it free hand) :)

I think the weld line looks good. The main issue remains the cannon where the seam line is visible. I will put a camo netting on to hide it.leo-1.jpg

Do you guys paint the tracks and if so, in what colour?

leo-2.jpg

Cheers, Jaka.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, its been a while, but I managed to do alot of work.

I tried something inbetween finnish camo and on a much smaller basis an urban camo.

img0331.jpgimg0332.jpgimg0333.jpgimg0334.jpgimg0335.jpg

A few mistakes with the masking, but I think they are small and can be fixed with weathering.

Comments welcome, cheers, Jaka

• Like 1

The tank is now assembled, with only the mirrors missing. It was sprayed with matt varnish and I will now start painting the smaller details, such as optics and lights.

I am still waiting for my finnish decals and various filters to arrive.

The final asembly was a dream, everything was a perfect fit. First time in my life I haven't lost a single part. :yikes:

C+C welcome.

img0405.jpgimg0406.jpgimg0407.jpgimg0408.jpgimg0410.jpgimg0409.jpg

Cheers, Jaka.

• Like 1