Best "sand" spray paint for a M1A1 (HA)?

clfm10

Hi good morning,

I have a M1A1 (HA) model tank that I want to build but I need to buy the paint for it. I am going to build it in the Operation Iraqi Freedom colour scheme which wis basically dessert yellow. The kit says that I should use Revell 88 Ochre Brown but looking around this does not come as a spray can and, since I have no airbrush, this is a problem. I have found a Humbrol spray can number 93 Desert yellow which looks good but maybe a bit too yellow. I have also found Tamiya XF-59 which to me looks like the perfect colour but, again, it does not come in a spray can variation.

So what would you guys recommend for this vehicle? What spray paint would be the closest match to the real dessert yellow paint used in US military vehicles?

Thanks very much for your help.

Tamiya's TS-46 Light Sand spray is a pretty good match. It's the one they recommend for their Abrams

Andy

thanks very much, I hadn't considered that before. Btw do you know if you can apply ACRYLIC gloss and matt spray varnishes ON TOP of the lacquer based TS paints. I was thinking of buying Humbrol Acrylic varnishes but I am not sure of this

thanks very much, I hadn't considered that before. Btw do you know if you can apply ACRYLIC gloss and matt spray varnishes ON TOP of the lacquer based TS paints. I was thinking of buying Humbrol Acrylic varnishes but I am not sure of this

Acrylic clear coats should be fine over a lacquer base coat but it wouldn't hurt to do a test spray on some scrap plastic

Andy

• 4 weeks later...

Tamiya's TS-46 Light Sand spray is a pretty good match. It's the one they recommend for their Abrams

Andy

Thanks for that - have 4 1/72 abrams and was wondering if tamiya did an aerosol. Luckily I have ts-46 and have tried it. Looks pretty good to me, although slightly more orange than the xtracrylix xa1812.

Cheers

Ben

Edited by badger