Porco Rosso's Savoia S21 Seaplane.

Porco Rosso is on Film 4 tomorrow ( Wednesday 8th April) at 11.00 am.

Got it on DVD. There's some great other aircraft in it too, Macchi M.5's, Hansa Brandenburg's, Curtiss R3C, Savoia S67, etc.

I particularly like the bit when he does an impromptu display for Gina after he's had his plane fixed, the animation of the plane and the clouds is fantastic.

• Like 2

Thank you Paul. I also have the DVD. I'm on holiday this week, so I will watch it. It's a film I really enjoy. 🐷

I'm a huge Miyazaki fan, including Porco Rosso, with Kaze Tachinu being my undisputed No 1. I've heard and read good things about this kit (as with most Fine Molds products). Might bring one back from my next Japan trip!

The film Porco Rosso is just about to start on Film4 at eleven if anyone is interested.

• Like 1

The film Porco Rosso is just about to start on Film4 at eleven if anyone is interested.

Thanks for the heads up. Here's the build I mentioned earlier, which I built as a WHIF, rather than using the movie scheme.

http://www.hsgalleries.com/gallery04/savoias21jcc_1.htm

regards,

Jason

EDIT: and ignore the article title that says it's 1/72. It's the 1/48 kit, as stated in the main text!

Edited by JasonC
  • Like 2

Thanks for the heads up. Here's the build I mentioned earlier, which I built as a WHIF, rather than using the movie scheme.

http://www.hsgalleries.com/gallery04/savoias21jcc_1.htm

regards,

Jason

EDIT: and ignore the article title that says it's 1/72. It's the 1/48 kit, as stated in the main text!

Your welcome Jason. That's a great scheme you posted on Hyperscale. It looks really good in those colours and markings. The trolly looks very good. Thanks for sharing. Regards, Joe

Been sitting in Osaka trying to think of a souvenir to take home when I saw your thread. Thanks FBD :) - have just bought the 1/72 version. Yay!

• Like 1

Been sitting in Osaka trying to think of a souvenir to take home when I saw your thread. Thanks FBD :) - have just bought the 1/72 version. Yay!

Where abouts in Osaka are you? And where did you get your Savoia from? I can recommend Yodobashi Camera in Umeda for great prices...

Cheers

Jeffrey

Your welcome. I believe the 1/72nd scale kit is as good as the 1/48th from what people say. :)

Loved this kit. The amount of detail inside the fuselage which once built will never be seen again is amazing. I also found the engineering to be so good that if something didn't fit perfectly, it will have been that I misaligned something else. Did all my interior in simulated wood grain with oil paints!

Here is mine from way back in February 2011- built for and IPMS Avon club theme "Red" at Telford that year.

http://www.ipmsavon.org.uk/Meetings_gallery.php?year=11

• Like 1

Hi Jeffrey- Thanks for the suggestion- Didn't know about Yodobashi Camera otherwise would have given it a go.

Bought it from Bic Camera just up the road- (I paid 1220 yen - $13 AUSD / 7 quid) - There was not much there so struck lucky.

Loved this kit. The amount of detail inside the fuselage which once built will never be seen again is amazing. I also found the engineering to be so good that if something didn't fit perfectly, it will have been that I misaligned something else. Did all my interior in simulated wood grain with oil paints!

Here is mine from way back in February 2011- built for and IPMS Avon club theme "Red" at Telford that year.

http://www.ipmsavon.org.uk/Meetings_gallery.php?year=11

Thank you Neil, nice model you've made there. I was going to grain the interior as well. I done it on the unditching beam on my MkIV Tank. It's not a great photo, but you can get the idea.

imagejpg6_zps4686b050.jpg

No, it's clear enough to see the grain. Nice. I assume the canopy glue will separate as I can't see it being much fun trying to " woodgrain" all those fuselage frames in situ?

• Like 1

No, it's clear enough to see the grain. Nice. I assume the canopy glue will separate as I can't see it being much fun trying to " woodgrain" all those fuselage frames in situ?

I did a few test pieces first. It's good stuff, but does will come apart with a bit of pressure.

The name Porco Rosso brought me here. I am a fan of Hayao Miyazaki films and studio Ghibli movies. i have collected many of his films. I animation and story is just fantastic takes you into animation world. Laputa in the sky, Howls Moving castle, Princess Mononoke.

watching with interset.

Cheers,

Rishi

• Like 1

not to distract from the build, but for those who like strange anime-things, Miyazaki also designed a (pig-)tank, called akuyaku. Just if you feel that tanks are a bit too martial, this one even has a butler and a cook! After all, a big tank needs a big crew, and they need to eat sometimes! Not sure if it's from a film, however.

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10049975

Alex

• Like 2

Some photos of the sections ready for assemble.

image.jpg1_zpsjwtihekq.jpg

Engine cowling

image.jpg2_zpsvlxtfwwb.jpg

Parts ready for temporary assembly

image.jpg3_zpsidg7r0ix.jpg

Porco's Seaplane temporary assembled with canopy glue, tape, and the permanent parts glued with Tamiya extra thin cement.

image.jpg4_zpsx5eo3q6g.jpg

Rear view of Porco and Seaplane. It has a wingspan of 218mm, the fuselage is 166mm long. Porco is 38mm high. The exhaust will have the tail pipes drilled out when compleated.

Thanks for looking.

• Like 2