1/72 Hasegawa XF5U-1 Flying Pancake

Next, the scale drawing, part 1:

Scale%20Drawing%201_zpsncnciakd.jpg

Scale drawing, part 2. Note that those intake "bullets" ARE offset to the inside. The kit is correct in this respect.

Scale%20Drawing%202_zpszeluqdi1.jpg

Cutaway, part 1:

Cutaway%201_zpsvccvdv50.jpg[/url]

Edited by Space Ranger
  • Like 1

Finally, two rear views showing those "vent flaps." Each flap was a one-piece sheet metal item, curved in the middle with a flat extension on either side. When opened, the top rotated forward and inward as shown in the side view on the scale drawing, part 1. When closed, they were flush with the outer surface. I suppose if you wanted to take the easy way out, you could just file/sand the kit flaps flush then scribe the outlines.

Rear%20Views_zpsudvetqkv.jpg

Edited by Space Ranger
  • Like 2

Also check out the Vought heritage web site for additional photos:

http://www.vought.org/photo/html/pxf5u-1.html

Naval aviation guru Tommy Thompson has already commented on the kit's seat; here are some of his additional remarks on the kit, from the Ginter monograph:

"The kit instructions would have you paint the landing gear struts silver, when in fact they should be blue except for the oleo struts, which of course were chrome silver. The damper on the front side of the main gear strut appears to be green or gray on early photos and worn to silver in late photos. The instructions also say to paint the bulkhead under the clear plastic nose silver, but the box art shows this to be zinc chromate green which appears to be more accurate."

"More decals are provided than actually needed with twice as many XF5U-1 designations, NAVY, and Bureau Number decals, as these decals should only appear on the outside of the vertical fin. For some reason the blades on the right-hand prop did not have the red oval Hamilton Standard insignia as provided for on the decal sheet."

He also says the engine intakes and prop shafts require filling and sanding, but you already know that!

And here is a link to a forum which shows some CAD illustrations of what is apparently a forthcoming kit of this airplane in 1/32 scale, illustrating cockpit and landing gear details. i can't vouch for their accuracy, however:

http://master194.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=85797

Edited by Space Ranger
  • Like 1

Just catching up with this one Nigel (and yes, no word on the Osprey decals yet).

Are you going with prototype markings or a What If scheme? Was a build on Modeling Madness where he put it in Korean War night fighter markings to combat the Washing Machine Charlies. Nice backstory with it.

http://modelingmadness.com/scott/allies/us/xf5u.htm

Guess with grab the popcorn and get comfortable.

• Like 1

OK, I'll ask if no-one else will; what was supposed to be the point? Was this wacky configuration supposed to provide some aerodynamic advantage (faired in engines so less drag?), or what? I get that it was experimental, but they must have had some idea of what they were trying to achieve. Just after the war, when some pretty radical ideas were tried, some of them jus because they could, I think.

Your usual high modelling standards, Nigel (not to mention your usual esoteric choice of subject!)

• Like 4

Are you going with prototype markings or a What If scheme?

I think I will just go with the kit decals although the white is typical Hasegawa cream coloured.

OK, I'll ask if no-one else will; what was supposed to be the point? Was this wacky configuration supposed to provide some aerodynamic advantage (faired in engines so less drag?),

I think the wash from the props was supposed to cancel out the wing tip vortices, thus improving aerodynamic efficiency. The compact shape probably would also give it good manuverability.

And another question, did those props tilt to assist with turns?

No, I don't think so.

• Like 1

I think the wash from the props was supposed to cancel out the wing tip vortices, thus improving aerodynamic efficiency. The compact shape probably would also give it good manuverability.

I guess we should infer from the fact that they took it no further that it wasn't a roaring success!

In the drawing that Space Ranger posted (No.27) it looks like there is a plan view of the props that show them in various angles off from the centre line which is what made me wonder if the props swivelled. Strange drawing if that isn't what it's trying to show.

DB

In the drawing that Space Ranger posted (No.27) it looks like there is a plan view of the props that show them in various angles off from the centre line which is what made me wonder if the props swivelled. Strange drawing if that isn't what it's trying to show.

DB

Apparently they "flapped" in pairs, although I'm having difficulty visualising it from the description on here:

http://www.vought.org/special/html/sxf5u.html

The prop blades were made of "Pregwood" (plastic-impregnated wood), which is something I'd never heard of before now.

I've learned two new things today :).

• Like 2

A bit late to the party, but watching with interest as one of the masters works his Nigelization magic again. Innteresting subject and nice tribute to a fellow modeller.

• Like 1

OK, I'll ask if no-one else will; what was supposed to be the point?

From what I can gather the main point was to develop a V/STOL aircraft for carrier operations.

OK, I'll ask if no-one else will; what was supposed to be the point? Was this wacky configuration supposed to provide some aerodynamic advantage (faired in engines so less drag?), or what? I get that it was experimental, but they must have had some idea of what they were trying to achieve. Just after the war, when some pretty radical ideas were tried, some of them jus because they could, I think.

The airplane was intended as a production version of the V-173 prototype, designed to create a low aspect ratio aircraft with low takeoff and landing speeds but high top speed. Wikipedia entry here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vought_XF5U

The flapping of the propellers was to avoid high root-bending loads induced by the long blades in fighter-type maneuvering.

The Turtle knows. :winkgrin:

Edited by Space Ranger
  • Like 1

Thanks for all that information and reference material, it is much appreciated.

Tonight I started to remove the offensive vents with a bit of motor tool drilling action:

P1100041_zpsogx2sbb3.jpg

I had thought of using my fret saw to remove the rest of the plastic but it is just beyond its capabilities:

P1100042_zpsgsqj76hv.jpg

Instead I turned to my Trumpeter blade saw which is rather coarsely toothed but was just about up the job:

P1100043_zpsg1jq8wln.jpg

I finished off the plastic removal with the widest of the Trumpeter saw blades:

P1100044_zpsneoz3m2w.jpg

That was followed by some knife action to remove most of the remaining plastic:

P1100045_zpswdulcjtn.jpg

Using files mainly and a little sanding stick clean up I managed to finish the underside:

P1100046_zpsr5jaasii.jpg

I hope you liked that.

Bye for now,

Nigel

• Like 13

You're welcome for the info; glad to help. You're a real glutton for punishment for removing those vent flaps. I think when I get around to building my kit I'll just file 'em flush and scribe the outlines.