1/72 Hasegawa XF5U-1 Flying Pancake

The primer showed that I needed to do a bit more finessing to complete the coaming:

P1100082_zpsmxzcgncq.jpg

This is how I masked the seat padding, reinforcing the tape masking with some liquid Micro Mask:

P1100081_zpsjqv0wqdp.jpg

The brown went on with a rather pebble dashed finish, I don't think I thinned it enough. It looks like its made out of sandstone - now if I'd been asked to make something like that I would have said it was not possible, but there you go. I will give it a bit of TLC and hopefully it will look better under subsequent coats.

After dinner I got the khaki green applied to all the cockpit components:

P1100083_zps25oqxrgb.jpg

It did indeed improve the appearance of the seat. I also got the seat belts attached and decal applied to the instrument panel:

P1100085_zpsdtyrv7gj.jpg

I know that decal looks seriously rough but in the grand scheme of things, with a black hole of a cockpit I think it will be fine. (Please forgive me fellow BMers).

I applied a Flory Dark Dirt wash to all the cockpit parts in readiness for assembly:

P1100086_zpsmff5gulq.jpg

Here we are approaching final close up:

P1100087_zpsyetwogn0.jpg

And there we have the final tub ready for insertion into the fuselage:

P1100088_zps5iwixyi9.jpg

I will let that harden up overnight and proceed later on tomorrow.

Bye for now,

Nigel

• Like 5

Thanks hendie, I think I am going to spin the yarn that the seat is upholstered with chamois leather (or possibly foam rubber) - using a bespoke technique that has taken years to hone to perfection.

• Like 1

Great progress Nigel and looking good Sir!

Your influence encouraged me to look for some scratch build materials at Cosford (repeat after me, out of the box Ced, out of the box) and I did get some plastic sheet from Little Cars. I also asked several stand guys for a pack of mixed rod / section stuff but, when they asked what I wanted it for, 'just in case' didn't seem to be an acceptable answer and they just sort of sidled off. Cuh!

• Like 3

Don't worry. Once the canopy goes on you'll just about be able to tell that there's a cockpit underneath it.

This is my expectation, sometimes as modellers we do tend to overthink things. I think the same applies to the engine intakes which when painted with the dark Navy paint will look fine without any additional boxing in.

• Like 1

Here is a post of the very minor progress achieved tonight, here is the cockpit tub in a temporary position:

P1100091_zpsmtrxpsa7.jpg

P1100092_zpsdmexgw6p.jpg

I think that looks OK, I do need to get some matt black on the cockpit coaming though.

I had made some clod hopping finger prints on the engine fronts due to my usual over eager need to progress things but once they were hardened up I was able to sand out the offending marks:

P1100093_zpsex69jmng.jpg

Now I just have to work out the best way to mask them.

Bye for now,

Nigel

• Like 7

Phewwww, just went through the whole thread, what a scratch-building masterclass! :mike:

Can I please ask what kind of silicone are you using for quick moulding?

TIA

Ciao

• Like 2

The silicone rubber is from Hobbycraft, here are the two components in blue and white and some moulds I made using it:

P1020911_zpsf46f9dc4.jpg

Its quite handy stuff as it sets in about five minutes. I'm not sure of the manufacturer but I will try to find out tonight.

• Like 3

Thanks for that Nigel :speak_cool: So basically you need to mix the two components to get it to harden; the box in the background is the resin you pour into the molds?

TA

Ciao

That's right, the two components are both a soft putty which you kneed together until its a uniform colour. The box in the background is a clear casting resin also from Hobbycraft.

• Like 1

A very informative and enjoyable read. That silicon idea I especially like. Like others have said, those cut outs you did for the cooling flaps are exceptional, being nice and square, something I always fail on.

You've got my attention.

Bit like an F-117's grandad

Nah that honour goes to the Ho229

Tim.

• Like 2

Thanks Pete for letting me wrestle back control. Here is that silicone putty from Hobbycraft. The fidelity of moulds from it is not as good as a proper moulding rubber like Sylmasta but it does have its uses.

• Like 1

Tonight I have been mainly masking stuff. For the engine fans I used a combination of compass cutter and a 10mm punch:

P1100096_zpsuknzmhiu.jpg

I also masked the coaming at the front of the cockpit ready for some anti-glare matt black:

P1100097_zpsjxnwgao6.jpg

I masked the joint interfaces on the engine intakes using scraps of masking tape from my cutting mat:

P1100098_zpspqhqpz7o.jpg

The joints on the lower fuselage were similarly made ready for a coat of the Navy exterior colour:

P1100099_zpsc8tzkxt6.jpg

The upper fuselage was also masked so that I can get some Navy blue on the inside of the engine vents:

P1100100_zpscp3cmfei.jpg

Hopefully that will all work out OK, bye for now,

Nigel

• Like 8

I am on holiday today, so first got some airbrushing done, here are the engine fronts and intakes:

P1100104_zpshchlnr4q.jpg

Here is the anti-glare panel:

P1100105_zpsq1g23fbh.jpg

I matt varnished the cockpit but I could still see some bare plastic past the foot well so I just brush painted on some matt black:

P1100106_zps2wgolgqn.jpg

That's sorted it:

P1100107_zpsknobnl2p.jpg

While that was drying I masked up the canopy:

P1100108_zpsynspr6me.jpg

I then glued in the cockpit tub and the instruments:

P1100109_zpsex9slceu.jpg

I keep breaking the lower flaps so I installed some protective buffers:

P1100110_zpsrpjgducx.jpg

I decided it was prudent to reinforce the flaps with a fillet of five minute epoxy before I close up the fuselage:

P1100111_zpsb9ga9rgp.jpg

In went the engine fronts:

P1100112_zpsmumaonn5.jpg

Now I could close up the fuselage:

P1100113_zpshwnj74la.jpg

That went OK but there was this gap at the side of the cockpit:

P1100114_zpsmb2tbmio.jpg

I might be able to get that to close up better with a little more work but I'll leave it to harden up over the weekend as I have as plane to catch. Maybe I will get some more done on Sunday evening.

Bye for now,

Nigel

• Like 6

Great progress! And that seems a huge gap to fill, but probably it's the macro effect. What kind of glue are you using for the fuselage halves?

Ciao

• Like 1