Thunderbirds are go - opinions?

good (ish) model effects, maybe, but "realism"? Come on...

bestest,

M.

I'm just talking in terms of the old TB's against the new series.

Gerry Anderson always tried to aim for as realistic as possible.

The new series seems to be aiming deliberately to look like naff models.

Roy.

I thought that the craft were already CGI in most of the shots? Albeit probably created from model scans.

Will

The five TB's and FAB1 are CGI.

Any other vehicles, craft etc are models.

It seems odd that it is a part of WETA that's doing this.

Their model work (in everything else they've done) is utterly astounding.

I don't doubt it's down - in part - to time and money.

Roy.

Pretty sure all those space-ships in the mine episode were CG as well, although they did look like they were made from yoghurt pots. Fireflash looked like a model though, and I gather the underwater thing in the pilot was a model? I didn't see that one.

Will

I gave this a good go and was inspired to buy the boxed set of the original series, which I find far better.

I have really tried to be objective and view this on its own merits, including artistic ones, but have given up on it.

The producers really should have watched the CGI Captain Scarlet and used it as a benchmark: At least that was true to the spirit of the original.

There does seem to a bit of an assumption underlying a lot of the comments in here that the people who make this show are incompetent, don't understand their market, or don't care about Gerry Anderson and the C21 heritage... Well, see what the man himself says:

We have some rules on Ready for Inspection about constructive comments, yet elsewhere it seems to be open season on other creative people who've worked hard to produce something that they really care about...

Bestest,

M.

Edited by cmatthewbacon
  • Like 3

Matthew, as Brokenedge said, that is a great post and it's not the first time I've seen that clip.

I truly appreciate the creative effort and dedication that's gone into the series, which is why I hope I gave it a fair crack and viewed it objectively.

That said, the only aim of the producers of any film is to please as big an audience as possible. If nothing else, it's how they make money, though I firmly believe that in most cases the creators main aim is to produce something true to their creativity.

The fact is that they were never going to please everyone, anyway, particularly the original Thunderbirds audience and they did have an awfully strong act to follow, but in this instance, the spirit of the original is gone.

The suspense and build up are missing and, whatever the merits of this new version and it has many, a show about knife-edge rescues needs a suspenseful build to the climax.

I really desperately wanted to like this version, but however clever the technology and cinematography, it is too deliberately cartoonish and two dimensional. I think perhaps the cleverness of it has become an end in itself, rather than an augmentation of the story telling.

In truth, though, this is aimed at kids, which is why it's on a kids' channel and I'm sure many of them will be rapt by it.

Edited by Kit builder
  • Like 1

All above - totally agree.

As I said in a post a little while back:

The new series is aimed at kids, true - but so was the old one, and that had BAGS of suspense, plot, and the characters acted like real people. (I mean in terms of drama - not physically)

The new series characters don't behave realistically in any way at all.

I'm still watching, but with less enthusiasm each week.

Roy.

• Like 2

All above - totally agree.

As I said in a post a little while back:

The new series is aimed at kids, true - but so was the old one, and that had BAGS of suspense, plot, and the characters acted like real people. (I mean in terms of drama - not physically)

The new series characters don't behave realistically in any way at all.

I'm still watching, but with less enthusiasm each week.

Roy.

Just about sums up my own feelings Roy. Overall, not very impressed.

Allan

• Like 1

I think Thomas the Tank Engine is better than the recent (ish) TB's feature film....

Roy.

Don't you be dissin' the Tank! :fight: It's a fine programme, with good production values, bomb-proof scripts and Oscar quality acting... to even use His name in the same sentence as the TB film is sacrilege! :crying:

• Like 2

I think the main problem with the new series is its only 30 minutes long.

There's not enough time to get a good story going.

The original series started off as a 30 minute programme and on a spur of the moment decision, Lew Grade told Gerry Anderson to lengthen it.

Shame no one did this with the new series.

• Like 1

Gerry Anderson programs were always Americanized for some reason, eg in UFO they showed vehicles driving on the wrong side of the road in the UK!

Today's episode had a couple of nods to 2001: A Space Odyssey (John unable to get back in the airlock, the AE35 unit needing replacement, John jogging round the inside of the rotating section) but the whole storyline was reminiscent of the novel The Two Faces of Tomorrow by James P. Hogan - sentient computer aboard a space station; the people it's trying to kill hold back from shutting it down to give it a chance to make peace...

But why did Alan fly off at the end? You'd think he'd have dropped in to visit his brother and scrounge a cuppa...

If Sir Richard Taylor was such a big fan of the original, why all the annoying changes? He could have been faithful to the original while introducing new characters or scenarios that would not have detracted the presentation that he was trying to achieve.

As for Thomas the Tank Engine - the first two series (narrated by Ringo Starr) were a faithful representation of the Reverend Awdrey's works, but the newly written episodes were dire. The Rev. understood railway practice and accurately put these into his stories. Britt Whatsername has no understanding of the railways and has written children's stories that happen to have the Rev's characters in them.

I don't remember there being many explosions in the Rev Awdrey's stories!

Oh, there were always big crashes and disasters. H&SE would have closed that railway down and had the Fat Controller up on charges in a couple of weeks!

bestest,

M.

• Like 1