Thunderbirds are go - opinions?

Thunderbird models may be freely downloaded from here, though one has to register first:

TB2,4 & 5, as well as the Mole and Firefly.

http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/vbdownloads.php?params%5Bcontent%5D=thunderbird&params%5Btitle%5D=0&params%5Btitle%5D=on&params%5Bdescription%5D=0&params%5Bdescription%5D=on&params%5Bauthor%5D=0&params%5Bauthor%5D=on&params%5Bcategoryid%5D=0&do=search&action=searchresults

They're intended to be printed on stiff paper or light card.

Might not be to everyone's taste, though they might printed at a different scale and inspire some scratchbuilding in plasticard?

Fireflash and Sunprobe can be found elsewhere on this site too.

Finally caught this, quite liked it, it's a reasonable reboot/remaked of the original. Of course, I reserve the right to change my mind once I've seen more episodes. I'm not sure about Brains morphing into Raj Koothrapali from the Big Bang Theory though, that was the only real downer for me (now, if they'd used Sheldon instead...). Some unnecessarily complicated ways of getting into the Thunderbirds too, compared with the originals.

• Like 2

I loved it - something fresh for todays new generation of kids that weren't so lucky as me to have enjoyed the show when Thunderbirds were the mind exploding hour it used to be.

Brains can now produce a full Indian menu for the family and Penelope .... well lets put it this way.... has anyone got her mobile number ..!

• Like 1

I agree that Lady P is pretty good, but having Ros Pike do the voice, WHY oh why doesn't she just use her own gorgeous tones instead of a somewhat Minnie Mouse voice?????

It's a waste using her in the first place!

(I'm biased though - Rosamund Pike is WAY up on my wish-list....)

Roy.

• Like 1

I rather liked it tbh. Faster paced that what I would have liked but I am not the target audience. I thought that it was sympathetically updated and I didn't once think they have ruined the character of the vehicles they use. Although the original TB2 still rocks.

The music bugged me though. As a huge Dr Who fan it reminded me a lot of recent Who music. Looking on the www I found that the composer is Ben Foster who also composes/arranges a lot of the music for Who. A small gripe.. Can't wait for the next episode :-)

Well if anyone wants to catch the next episode then set Sky+, Humax or video recorders as it is scheduled for 8:00am on Saturday this week.

Well if anyone wants to catch the next episode then set Sky+, Humax or video recorders as it is scheduled for 8:00am on Saturday this week.

On ITVHD and at various times on CITV. There's nothing like covering your bases!

Finally caught up with this...

...what is everyone complaining about?

My 10-year old test sample loved it. Which is surely better than him wanting to watch Ben 10 or Skylanders instead?

It's edited at a more aggressive pace than the original, for sure. But speaking to a friend of mine who has early teen kids and a father who wanted to prepare them for new Star Wars by watching "the originals", I discovered that her kids tuned out after an hour or so because ""A New Hope" is " sooo sloooowww..." Like it or not, those are the expectations the yoof of today has. Equally, my 19 and 15 year old recognised and liked all the musical references in the new score, despite being weaned on the original Thunderbirds series.

Overall, I think we all though it was a great update on the original, with enough sly nods to keep us oldsters happy, an enjoyably knowing take on the original for our kids who've seen both original Anderson and newly minted galactic adventures as kids themselves, AND a fast-paced adventure with all its original keynotes very much intact for our newbie audience.

And personally, I think the look and animation style is very consciously created. Real model work for the settings and set-pieces, CGI craft for ease of animation, and I think the character styling is deliberately retro-gaming, not quite state of the art, to mirror the "puppets vs humans" dynamic of the original. As someone may have once said "that's not a bug, that's a feature..."

bestest,

M.

Edited by cmatthewbacon
  • Like 3

Hmmm, the jury is out for me still, like the way it's trying to be updated and remain as faithful to the original to cover all audiences. Dare I say a little PC?, maybe I'm just being nostalgic?

I miss the strings though I'm not sure if I like the vehicle redesigns- though they're a lot better than the live action film ones by a long chalk.

However my 9 yo son still thinks the original is better.

I watched it the other day out of curiosity, and it's ok. :) I wasn't a slathering fan of the original, but I quite liked it at the time. I think they've updated it well, and the new kit is quite good, although they really did seem to be packing the rescues in. The nods to the past are nice, but the pandering to the kids with their hover boards is a bit meh (does this ever work?). Just like Transformers Rescue Bots (and most other shows for kids with adults in), there's the younger brother that's itching to get involved, and turns out better than his siblings (wasn't that the WHOLE premise of the awful film?). I'll watch it again if I catch it. Will probably have to see it on catch-up though, due to the time slot and the fact that I seldom watch "live" TV anyway. :)

Liked the original, this one?.Hope they dont remake Stingray this way that would really piddle me off.

Edited by Mike
Please don't swear - even with the asterisks it's pretty obvious.
  • Like 1

I doubt they'd bother with Stingray. The original was pretty dire, so why remake it? About the only thing it has in its favour is that it was probably something Anderson had to make to learn how to do it, and to be allowed the opportunity to make Thunderbirds...

YMMV, obviously.

Bestest,

M.

Today's episode...

Hmmm...

As expected, the craft - TB3 was the ONLY one in it today - were exceptionally well done.

There's NO whingeing about the SFX from me.

Also, I thought that the character animation was quite a bit better than the pilot episode(s).

BUT...... The actual story was pretty naff.

A bit of an excuse to get TB3 into the frame.
Mind you, I'm now beginning to think that the new TB3 is actually not that bad.

Parker was just TOO fit!

Lady P served no purpose at all, and the DOG saved the day!!!

It has already been stated that they have made Alan the youngest by a bigger margin, to get him to be a kind of 'role model' for kids.

Hopefully we aren't going to get a load of 'Alan-kiddie' episodes.

Hopefully next week will be better. (For an 'oldie' like me)

Roy.

Edited by roymattblack

Mind you, I'm now beginning to think that the new TB3 is actually not that bad.

I'm not keen on how the outriggers - for want of a better word - act as manipulator arms. They seem too chunky compared with the original, where they were slim and elegant. Mind you, they didn't actually do anything other than look pretty, and make TB3 look different from the simple cylinders that NASA was launching at the time.

Much like the pilot episodes I generally enjoyed this weeks! I always wanted to see more of TB3 in the original series and for her to be more than just a shuttle service (see what I did there?) to TB5! That said anyone else think the blast door on the TB3 silo closes a bit too fast? I'm also curious if John & Alan still rotate TB5 duty like they did in the original.

I was surprised/disappointed TB3 & TB5 wasn't able to detect the stealth mine, especially as they clearly had some data on them in their digital archive. In the original thanks to Brain's genius IR's tech was usually far ahead of the rest of the world, hence why the Hood was always trying to learn IR's secrets. I would really like to see Brains portrayed as more of a genius/engineer in the new series and less as Apple IR Telephone Technical Support! :speak_cool:

• Like 1