Revell 1/72 B17G - Sally-B ?

With four days off work, I thought I'd finally start on the B17 that has been sitting in my stash four about 5 months. I was lucky enough to pick this up in a box of kits that some guy was getting rid of on ebay - for the grand total of £4.10!!!

Although the colour scheme on the box is tempting, I'm trying to build a collection of models of aircraft that I have taken photographs of. So that leaves me with just one option on this kit - the wonderful Sally-B. It looks like kitsworld are currently supplying Sally-b decals, so there'll be an order heading their way fairly soon (more than twice what I paid for the kit).

The only other addition that I'll use is a set of eduard masks.

20150403_174117_zpstcswcvsa.jpg

And here's one of my Sally-B pics:

IMG_3051_zpsdfug9zes.jpg

Isn't she beautiful?

The kit is huge for a 1/72 model - 94 sections in the instruction sheet & it's worth reading through them all before starting as the last section shows painting & decal instructions for the first four sections, which show you how to put the bomb-bay together.

Here's the beginning of the bomb-bay with the end-walls painted:

20150403_151107_zps9ats1gcc.jpg

20150403_151131_zpsdrllrqdf.jpg

Once the kit is together it'll be almost impossible to see most of the detail in here, so when I painted the bombs I didn't bother masking - they'll be tucked away so far I reckon it hardly matters...

20150403_161428_The%20Chestnuts_zpszebmx

Once that lot is all assembled, the whole assembly gets fitted to the starboard section of the body.

20150403_165047_The%20Chestnuts_zpsplqzf

I've used vallejo-air internal green for the interior.

The bombs are painted olive-drab. Now that looks rather brown to me & I was going to use the olive drab for the outer colour, but looking at my photo, Sally-B looks more green than brown. It'll be a while before I need to decide on the paint to use, but any suggestions will be gratefully accepted - preferrably a vallejo-air colour, but which one?

The next section is the flight-deck, this as far as I got today:

20150403_173941_The%20Chestnuts_zpsfxanp

• Like 4

Hi Andy,

looking forward to this build and a great start on the interior. Don't forget to modify the forward transparencies, as she's halfway between an F and a G model as far as the nose is concerned.

I will get mine finished one day haha, as soon as the weather is good enough to get the nacelles and turrets sprayed;

EDIT: The nose transparency is nabbed from an Academy B-17 kit

12_zpsb6272114.jpg

Cheers,

WV908

Edited by WV908
  • Like 1

A little progress this morning - there is a decal for the instrument panel, but i thought i'd have a go at picking the instruments out by hand & the results were good enough, so the decal can stay on the sheet.

20150405_130601_The%20Chestnuts_zpstk2hx

• Like 2

A bit more progress today...

20150406_174846_The%20Chestnuts_zpswri3m

not quite as detailed a Fozzy's masterpiece

The fit of all the pieces is really good - I've mated the port side up a couple of times & everything if very snug. This really is an excellent kit - even if you were to pay full price.

slowly working towards the back...

20150406_174716_The%20Chestnuts_zpsei286

I had a look at the cheek gun ports & trying to fathom out how to get rid of them - plenty of scope for a disaster there.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still undecided over the cheek guns - I feel fairly certain I will make a complete hash of cutting the glazing apart & attempting to fit a bodged window in their place. So This weekend I contacted Revell's part dept & asked for a couple of B17F parts to replace those for the G, I did tell them why I wanted them, so I expect they'll tell me to get lost. Anyway, this has now been passed on to Revel.DE, so fingers crossed on that !

No pictures today - there's been more progress fitting various bits towards the back of the plane, still a little way to go before the two halves get joined together.

I'm going to enjoy this. I have the same boxing in the loft, and will probably do Miss Mischief as its such an iconic airframe(s) :oops:

And Ced, maybe we should do a mini GB, your -F and my -G to go with Andy's hybrid!

• Like 1

I was looking at this kit the other day in my Local Hobby Lobby store where I can get 40% discount off their retail pricing! Looking great so far, enjoy the rest of your build!

Cheers :)

Martin

well the fuselage is together now - but not really a lot to show yet.

I thought I'd add the following photos though to help others putting this kit together in the future. The revell instructions weren't all that clear about what went where when I was putting the bits & bobs together that go in the wheel well before putting the two halves of each wing together.

the following two parts are put together correctly in the photo & the instructions indicate that they should be painted internal green...

20150425_150840_zpsniqhinek.jpg

I would suggest that you may not want to paint what becomes the outer section of the engine bay green....

20150425_160021_zpspmsjqqij.jpg

also, the final bit of 'internals' for the lower half of each wing is a couple of small discs that fit into the rear section of the central intakes - it's worth paying attention when doing this as one side of each disc is flat & the other side is meshed - so if you happen to look into the intake it looks like a filter:-

20150425_160113_zpsfz4jc3fo.jpg

my next pics should be of the body & wings together all masked up & ready for spraying.

• Like 2

Looking good Andy!

Should have asked before but how did you get the wood effect on the tables?

I used Revell Leather Brown as the base coat & then a thin coat of Revell wood brown, using a knackered old brush.

• Like 2

An unusual amount of progress this week, well for me anyway.

The wings are on, a lot of the masking is done & a little filling...

20150430_174308_zpsd97razdj.jpg

So this evening I decided to get rid of the cheek guns. I don't know how poor this is going to look when the plane is complete, I think one side will look OK & the other may look like she's suffering from toothache.

Here's the one of the pieces beforehand:

20150430_174541_zpszv3jidm0.jpg

And after some gentle persuasion with the dremel & a little paint just to get an idea of how it will look, I've ended up with these:

20150430_184333_zpsluonm4qo.jpg

as you may just be able to make out - the far piece does have a bit of a bulge to it, and the windows are certainly not in exactly the same positions as on Sally-B.

Edited by andymoore
  • Like 3

after philp's comment, I tried dry-fitting these parts - the fit looks pretty tight to me

from this pic it's clear i need to attempt some scribing now & reseat the mask on the middle window

20150501_175328_zpsurhe8g1g.jpg

• Like 2

Does look good on that side but seems to be not seated as well at the top on the other.

I have both the F and G to build and probably will end up with a few more as the Fort is one of my all time favorite planes.

i couldn't live with that port side window as it was - so I decided it was time to step out of my comfort zone & take some drastic action. I cut out a piece of one of the spare roof windows to be slightly larger than the window I wanted. Then I cut a hole for the new piece to fit into. Now I need to give the putty time to set & line the masks up.

20150503_134302_zps6pbctsyw.jpg

20150503_135304_zpsc7rtd8hq.jpg

I think this will look a lot better than my previous half-arsed attempt once it's all tidied up - and even if it looks a little rough close up, at least from a distance she'll look like Sally-B as the window is in the right place.

• Like 2

a little progress today - the undercarriage is on (the wheels are dry fitted & will be tidied up soon)

One engine fitted, although it may need a little darkening up, I'm still fiddling with that front port side window, using pva as a filler.

20150509_181301_zps5ksvehic.jpg

20150509_180225_zps7b1ljrzm.jpg

• Like 4

A tiny bit of progress second engine fitted & i've darkened up the cylinders. The sun was out, so took the opportunity to get a pic in decent light for a change. A word of warning to anyone else building this kit - the exhaust ring that fits on the rear of the engine is subtly different on the two inboard engines, so take care when putting them together. I realised this as I was assembling the second one, and I have fitted the wrong ring on No.3 - I don't expect it to make any different once the cowlings are fitted. Next up is to spray the ailerons, rudder, tailplanes & cowlings (I wish I was as well organised as Ced). Does anyone out there have any suggestions regarding the colour of the ailerons? Looking at pics on Flickr os Sally-B, It looks to me that the ailerons are the same colour as the leading edges of the wings rather than green.

20150513_184041_zpsgrgv3jtr.jpg