Hasbro 29" Millennium Falcon

Madmonk

My third build for this GB is also helping with the Lighting Kit range I build.

I had started a thread in the Sci-Fi section of the forum but as I have hardly done anything with this the mods have kindly allowed me to add it to the GB.

Hasbro recently brought out a large 29" Millennium Falcon "toy".

IMG_0851_zps5bd1e710.jpg

For a toy it is one of the better details Falcons about though the plastic is very soft and by all accounts difficult to get paint on to it. Some of the side walls and all the windows are stickers so there is still a lot of work to do to get it anything like a decent replica.

IMG_0852_zpsac25144b.jpg

To give an indication of size this is it with the FM 1/144 version.

IMG_0853_zpseae502c5.jpg

I have bought a set of resin parts from Randy Cooper which includes engine details, side walls, new airlocks, etc. As well as some PE.

IMG_0043_zpscggt0qu3.jpg

IMG_0044_zps9ydt1xwe.jpg

This will also be the base for another lighting kit from Tirydium Models and I have already started to play around with it.

http://youtu.be/X5Em1v17igY

Will be starting in earnest after Easter.

Cheers,

Warren

• Like 5

Been watching a couple of these over on Facebook. Will be fun to watch it come together here, especially with the lighting.

Heard Shapeways does a cockpit for it and some other parts.

Hi Philp,

I have bought the replacement turret windows and a Han figure from Shapeways, I'm thinking of scratch building the cockpit due to the cost of buying it from Shapeways.

I also need to remove the horrible landing gear and will be having it in flight so only need to build covers.

Cheers,

Warren

• Like 3

Got a little bit of time on this yesterday so attacked the engines!!

IMG_0919_zpsgx7vvx0c.jpg

The plastic is really soft which makes cutting out a fairly simple job.

The resin parts include engine detail, which looks like it started life as a wheel!

IMG_0921_zpsdchspdzc.jpg

And there are also PE grills to replace the stickers provided by Hasbro.

IMG_0920_zpsoo80z9sx.jpg

I'm still toying with the idea of scratch building the cockpit or spending the thick end of £100 buying a 3D printed one from Shapeways.

Cheers,

Warren

• Like 3

Nice grills! Looking good Warren, personally my wallet would lean towards scratch building! :lol:

I think you're right Mr Rose, just checked again and a full cockpit set is 160 (£115) plus postage, so out with the plasticard!!

• Like 1

Not much progress this week as I have been trying to sort out the electronics for it. Starting to lay the control board out so hopefully will have it done this weekend and then concentrate on the build.

1618455_795300430556162_2286630774860237

Cheers,

Warren

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Well I didn't realise that it was over a month since I last posted on here, where did April go!!

Anyway, got some more work done on the Falcon.

First up the docking rings at the sides. The resin upgrade set has new inserts.

IMG_0935_zpskhim49p1.jpg

And the centres of the toy parts needs to be removed. Holes drilled to help cut it out!

IMG_0933_zps5ykk33cw.jpg

Centre removed.

IMG_0934_zpshucb5wen.jpg

Trimmed and insert fitted, shown next to toy part.

IMG_0922_zpsm4h2xfum.jpg

One of the engines test fitted after a coat of paint and thin wash of Tamiya Smoke.

IMG_0924_zps1mzadvlj.jpg

The lower engine plates and frame fitted, the original upper part is on the right, still needs all the redundant plastic removing!

IMG_0923_zpsqlrbbbne.jpg

And finally for now, no post of mine would be complete without some lights so here are the resin replacement front ends with LED headlights!

IMG_0932_zpsbvajaeiq.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Cheers,

Warren

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

This might run close to the end date as I have just ordered a cockpit interior from Shapeways and won't be here until 24th June!!!

If all goes to plan I will have everything else done and just need to slot this in after painting!

Video of latest lighting layout.

https://youtu.be/7CY6YtCqkGU

Cheers,

Warren

• Like 5