1/72 Eduard Messerschmitt Bf 110C

Afternoon all,

Inevitably, toiling with the Shar has begun to take it's toll, so before it killed my modelling enthusiasm completely, I've decided to put it to the side and resume my BoB project with this beauty. It's another wonderful kit from Eduard, almost as nice as their Hellcat, and progress has gone swimmingly so far, with the interior work complete.

_MG_9931_zpsigfjxees.jpg

The wings have been assembled and are awaiting clean up, so this should come together pretty quickly from now on.

Thanks for looking, comments welcomed,

Shaun :)

• Like 5

Looks really nice so far Shaun, I built three of these for the Bf110 Group Build last year and they were amongst the nicest kits I ever had the pleasure to build; I hope you enjoy yours as much :)

Cheers,

Stew

I second the above, I think the 1/72 Eduard 110 is possibly my most favourite kit ever. The worst part for me was getting the front cockpit canopy sides to fit, they have to be trimmed quite a bit if you want them to fit in the closed position.

I'm currently painting a 110 G4.

Duncan B

p.s. looking at your photo again I think you might want to adjust the instrument panel so it stands vertical or it might cause problems with the fuselage fit later. Have a test fit to see if it does.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you kindly gents B)

Duncan, no trouble with the IP, although I had already filed the PE a touch due to a slight misalignment with the plastic part after glueing it in place.

Easter and the Masters have absorbed my free time for the last couple of weekends, but I have finally got the model primed and ready for paint. Assembly is essentially pain free, though I did make a bit of extra work for myself at the wing roots simply through carelessness, leaving a step on both sides. Otherwise, nothing more required other than attending to the seams and scribing in the panel lines along the spine and underside of the rear fuselage. This kit is a beauty.

I've tried a new primer, using Tamiya's surface primer. Expensive, but super smooth. My new primer of choice for sure.

_MG_9936_zpsntsochur.jpg

_MG_9937_zpsk51gdk3t.jpg

The eagle eyed amongst will notice I've omitted the towel rail aerials on the underside- the PE is just too fiddly and quickly bent when I tried to glue them in place, which was difficult anyway given the lack of surface area. A shame to do it, but I can live with it....

Just a few touch ups and some more polishing and she'll be ready for paint.

More soon,

Shaun

• Like 4

That is a very smooth primer :hmmm: - it's coming along really nicely Seamus :)

A confession - not one of my three got the towel-rails, I don't think I even managed to get it off the etched fret without ruining it in each case :blush:

Cheers,

Stew

Did you decant the primer from the aerosol and spray it through an airbrush or blast it from the can? I do like the Tamiya primer but find the lack of control straight from the aerosol can cause problems of flooding the kit if I'm not careful.

I've still to try fitting the towel rail aerial to my 110G4.

Duncan B

Thanks both, I don't feel so guilty about the towel rails now! :lol:

Duncan, I sprayed straight from the can, largely because I'm a bit lazy... A few short shots, keeping the can moving across the model seemed to do the trick. Certainly no obvious effects of pooling to note. Probably a bit wasteful, mind...

• Like 1

Thanks both B)

RLM 65 has been applied and shaded. Xtracolor as usual.

_MG_9939_zpsvb3lctgo.jpg

Adding a few drops of Rustins driers will leave the paint fully cured and ready for the RLM 71 tomorrow evening.

• Like 2

Cheers fella, I'm building mine from the C/D Profipack boxing. Not sure what extras you get in that boxing but I imagine it's fundamentally the same kit.

Nice choice of decals Shaun :)

The C-6 was one of the ones that I built, it is the same kit with a resin gun and gun-pack and two decal options. It turned out nice enough, I used the EprGr.210 markings.

Cheers,

Stew

Can't say I've ever really had a problem with Xtracolor. Aside from the odd dodgy batch that did take an age to dry, I've always found 24-48 hours more than ample drying time. That said, the Rustins driers really do work a treat and eliminate any risk of the paint still being tacky after that amount of time. I rarely feel the need to spray more than one colour in a session anyway, so 24 hours is more than enough time.

Moving on, the RLM 71 has been applied and shaded.

_MG_9940_zpsyjedbrff.jpg

Off to Brize Norton tomorrow, and the early start might preclude me from getting the RLM 70 on tonight, but hopefully I can find the time.

Cheers,

Shaun

• Like 6

RLM 70 applied and shaded. Couldn't resist unmasking...

_MG_0093_zpsg72bsc1t.jpg

_MG_0094_zpstr5roize.jpg

Colours don't look as warm in reality as they do in the pics. Next job will be applying the mottling ahead of the white distemper on the nose.

More soon,

Shaun :)

• Like 4

Mottling complete using RLM 02 and 70. Probably as good a job with mottling that I think I've ever done...

_MG_0096_zpsgbajzqkq.jpg

_MG_0097_zpsw9bmuqcm.jpg

• Like 6

Thanks chaps B)

Having sprayed the nose, the decals are now on. She's starting to come together.

_MG_0100_zpsl4bnagkr.jpg

_MG_0101_zpsjxilpapu.jpg

• Like 5