What's under the wing of this Tornado F.3?

Alan P

As per the topic question:

f3-alarm.jpg

I see ALARMs, ASRAAMs and a BOZ pod (and smaller gas bags) but what's on the starboard outer pylon?

(And can I get one in 1/32 :wicked: )???

Edited by Brokenedge

The underwing stores look as though they have been photoshopped onto a clean F.3....

The typical load for the F.3 wasn't Phimat and Skyshadow, as shown here. They typically flew with the 2250ltr tanks and a towed array decoy pod on the outer pylon.

Also, they never flew with ALARM missiles onboard, looks like an April fool to me!!!!!

XVTonker :pilot:

• Like 1

The underwing stores look as though they have been photoshopped onto a clean F.3....

The typical load for the F.3 wasn't Phimat and Skyshadow, as shown here. They typically flew with the 2250ltr tanks and a towed array decoy pod on the outer pylon.

Also, they never flew with ALARM missiles onboard, looks like an April fool to me!!!!!

If memory serves some F.3s were upgraded to carry ALARM missiles in the SEAD role. Flew with 11 Squadron. Think they received the designation EF.3

• Like 1

Well, here's another one that's been Photoshopped!! Pretty good job I'd say XV!!!

http://www.projectoceanvision.com/vox/images/chapter10/f3_alarm.jpg

And here.....

http://img.bemil.chosun.com/nbrd/files/BEMIL085/upload/2006/01/RAF%20Tornado%20F3%20of%20No%2011%20Squadron,%20RAF%20Leeming%20carrying%20ALARMs%20(Air%20Launched%20Anti-Radiation%20Missiles_04.jpg

Edited by Bill Clark

I believe that the "EF-3" was an UOR in the run up to the 2003 invasion of Iraq. It was only short lived and was not deployed operationally. The jets were from 11 squadron - would may an interest model.

• Like 1

Yes folks, it's real. 11(F) flew evaluation as a SEAD role after Kosovo, and it looked like being a justified force multiplier.

The F3 fraternity still harbours some bitterness towards what they consider to be deliberate agitation against the idea from the mud mover hierarchy.

Watch out for Dave Gledhill's F3 book coming soon.

I believe that the "EF-3" was an UOR in the run up to the 2003 invasion of Iraq. It was only short lived and was not deployed operationally. The jets were from 11 squadron - would may an interest model.

It was indeed an Urgent Operational Requirement. I was running a couple of UORs myself (comms network upgrades) and at one point got sent a list of UORs so that I could check the details of 'mine' were correct. Being curious I scanned the rest of the list and my eyebrows rather went up when I saw 'Fit ALARM to F3'. I don't believe any were actually employed from F3 though.

Hello all,

Dont know if it was some or all that were wired as such, but some F3s went to GWII(?) with BOZ and PHIMAT and im sure the smaller wing tanks were used most of the time. Towards the end when all F3 ops were at Leuchars, some of the surviving ex-11 sqn machines continued to fly with outer wing pylons.

Arabest,

Geoff.

Thanks for that Link Procopius.

However, the Revell/Italeri F3s i have in the stash are just not man enough for the fits in Troffas pics! Are watching Airfix?

Arabest,

Geoff.

Hello all,

Dont know if it was some or all that were wired as such, but some F3s went to GWII(?) with BOZ and PHIMAT and im sure the smaller wing tanks were used most of the time. Towards the end when all F3 ops were at Leuchars, some of the surviving ex-11 sqn machines continued to fly with outer wing pylons.

Arabest,

Geoff.

I think quite a few Tornado F3s flew with outer wing pylons as a fatigue reduction measure.

F3 "war fit" during Op Telic (Iraq Southern No-fly Zone between GW1 & GW2):

4 x Skyflash (subsequently AMRAAM)
2 x AIM-9L (subsequently ASRAAM)
2 x 1500 L tanks
1 x Towed Radar Decoy (BOZ pod) on left outboard
1 x Phimat chaff dispenser (+ ballast/ adapter) on right outboard

Op%20Telic%20F3_zpszxbffzqi.jpg

Photo taken behind the tanker on Christmas Day 2000...... shortly before the buggers shot at us!

HTH!

Edited by DougC
  • Like 1

The F.3 was given AMRAAM and ASRAAM capability as part of the CSP (Capability Sustainment Programme) project in the late 1990s, and a further upgrade (AMRAAM Optimisation Programme) from 2003 allowed it to make full use of the AIM-120. I believe that Sky Flash was never fully replaced, and remained in service until the F.3 was retired.

It was decided to use the F.3 as a Wild Weasel in 2003, as the radar warning equipment on the aircraft was seen to be highly effective and would make an ideal ELS (Emission Location System), as good as that on the German ECR I have heard. Only No.11 Squadron was designated to use ALARM, and aircraft so equipped were unofficially designated EF.3 or EF.3B. There was a lot of disappointment when it was decided not to retain the capability.