Su-27 Flanker (Academy +++) - I guess It's done

Great work so far gregax - love the detailed cockpit and wheel bays.

Re those etched shutters on the intake bottom - they are spring-loaded blow-in louvres and only open on demand from the engine - with the engine shut down, they are closed and flush.

Just saying.......

Ken

i used the resin flaps. they do have slightly better hinge detail but i had to scribe and rivet them by hand :badmood: i also broke a corner off and had to re-build it with CA. not sure if i would bother next time.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Any updates?

Nothing special but if you want to see the detailed process of filling, sanding, primer check, filling, sanding, primer chec, there isn't too much to see. I've managed to glue the engine intakes and the airbrake, but they don't fit too well.... will post some photos soon :)

Due to spring arriving in a full scale, I somehow prefer to ride my bike in the woods than sit at my workbench, so progress is sort of slow. I did manage to paint the whellbays,

filled all the wrong panel lines on the upper and lower side of the wings and strenghten the bent wings. And drilled some missing holes and outlets. I hope I will eventually

glue the fuselage together so it starts to resemble a half done model....

P1020411_1.jpg

P1020412_1.jpg

P1020416_1.jpg

• Like 3

like the extra bay detail. i may steal your idea for the wings, i have one in the stash thats a bit bent too!

But of course! That's why we are sharing the progress pics here :)

Engine intakes placed into position. Not a simple task at all. I've also opened all the outlets and apu exhausts and inserted some albion tubing. (there are still some missing in the photo - the ones just in font of the intakes) Also the gun shell ejection port and protection plate is missing, so I've made that as well. The front wheelbay was modified a bit so there is a place where the rocker mechanism retracts.

P1020434_1.jpg

P1020430_1.jpg

I've also discovered why most of the flanker kits are presented with the aribrake in open position. The reason is that it doesn't fit at all. So, i've made a tepmlate out of the masking tape, then glued

and used silly amounts of putty to make the contour right. Then , after 6th try i was satisfied with the regraving.

P1020435_1.jpg

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

It's been a while, was busy, but there is some progress. Fuselage is glued together, not without a problem, some filling and sanding was required. So, next was adding extra details, made of stirene, then regraving all the panels that were lost during sanding and filling. The slats are wrong in this kit, so some milliput was needed to make them correct. I can slowly see the light at the end of the tunnel, but I haven't touched the tails yet, and I can already see there is some extra work needed.

P1020449_1.jpg

P1020450_1.jpg

P1020452_1.jpg

P1020451_1.jpg

It is big....

P1020448_1.jpg

P1020446_1.jpg

• Like 7

Great progress so far gregax - I love the attention to detail :thumbsup:

One thing to note though - before it is too late - is that the intake in the leading edge of the port fin is about twice as big as that in the starboard fin.

Most Flanker kits have them the same size - which is wrong.

If you already have this in hand - forgive me.......

Ken

Here's a photo of the Zvezda 1/72 scale Su-27SM - the only Flanker kit in any scale to get the shape of the LERX correct - and the different sized intakes in the fin leading edge.....

Su-27SM_15.jpg

The port fin is on the left - note the size difference.

I'll try to find a photo of the real thing....

Ken

Here's some of my photos of the real thing - the Indian AF Su-30MKI at Fairford.

They show the difference in size between the port and starboard intakes.....

flanker%20fin%20intakes_01.jpg

flanker%20fin%20intakes_02.jpg

flanker%20fin%20intakes_03.jpg

flanker%20fin%20intakes_04.jpg

flanker%20fin%20intakes_05.jpg

flanker%20fin%20intakes_06.jpg

Hope this helps.....

Great build BTW :thumbsup:

Ken

• Like 1