did any lightning version have all 4 gun packs?

cathasatail

There was talk, while we were researching for Frank Brown's Echelon kit, that the Germany-based F2A Squadrons went on a Mediterranean exercise carrying guns in all six positions, but we were never able to get verification.

There are plenty of photos of the F2's with all 4 blast tubes (upper and lower nose, not the later belly gun pack as per F2A) open but whether the actual guns were fitted or not I wouldn't know. IIRC if the lower guns were fitted then the missile pack was removed so 4 guns but no missiles.

If I remember correctly the F2 at the Scottish Aviation Museum has all 4 blast tubes open.

Duncan B

Hi guys,

Forgive me for my ignorance but could I ask, did any variant of the ee lightning have both sets of upper and lower gun packs?

Thanks,

Sam

Just a note,

Theupper guns were not in a gun pack,they were two seperate gun mountings.

Selwyn

There was talk, while we were researching for Frank Brown's Echelon kit, that the Germany-based F2A Squadrons went on a Mediterranean exercise carrying guns in all six positions, but we were never able to get verification.

There is a photo of XN733 fitted with guns in the belly tank (but no lower gun pack in lieu of Firestreak), and the consensus during a WIWOL discussion into which I injected this question was that the belly tank guns were not fitted operationally, even if XN782 now sports them in its new role as a museum exhibit. I've also heard the rumour of the exercise, but the alternative view is that this was a misunderstanding about the lower gun pack being fitted as well.

There is a photo of XN733 fitted with guns in the belly tank (but no lower gun pack in lieu of Firestreak), and the consensus during a WIWOL discussion into which I injected this question was that the belly tank guns were not fitted operationally, even if XN782 now sports them in its new role as a museum exhibit. I've also heard the rumour of the exercise, but the alternative view is that this was a misunderstanding about the lower gun pack being fitted as well.

I believe that that was for the 1970 SBAC show when XN733 was bailed to BAC in June '70 for "dressing up" as the future export F.53. Operational F.2A's were not equipped, electrically. to carry the gun tank, this being the reserve for the F.Mk.6 (as an afterthought) and the export F.53 and T.55 (but not the Kuwait T.55's). The only F.2A that carried and fired a ventral gun tank was XN795, the prototype, which was used on trials work for the Mauser cannon fitted to Tornado.

I should point out that, today, it is possible to fit a gun tank or hatch tank to any mark of Lightning (even the P.1) as they were only adaptions of the lower engine access hatch and the pick up/attachment points for that remained the same throughout the prototype/production run.

Adding the central ventral and rear ventral components would be a bit more difficult !!

Dennis

Edited by sloegin57
  • Like 1