HMS Somerset F82

Are you going to do a Ship's screen? That little white thing just aft of the bridge door. Looks like a miniature beehive and has the wet and dry bulbs in it? It would be quite small but an accurate addition

Ohhhh yes. I do that sort of thing and then I end up questioning my sanity :mental: my HMS Phoebe build is proof of that.

And I thought this was going to be a straight forward build :banghead: ,enjoying every bit.

In relative terms it is, I just like the idea of making something that little bit different. It will catch up with me eventually. :whistle:

• Like 1

Good work again! Not a pick up but noticed that some Type 23's appear to have netting at the back of the quarter deck (other ships may also have as well). Do you know if that was a permanent thing or was it something put up during a port visit or Harry roughers weather?

Keep up the good work

Good work again! Not a pick up but noticed that some Type 23's appear to have netting at the back of the quarter deck (other ships may also have as well). Do you know if that was a permanent thing or was it something put up during a port visit or Harry roughers weather?

Keep up the good work

They're permanent now though removable. Inconvenient when trying to fish off the QD

• Like 1

Keep up the good work

The netting was introduced in 2000 after the USS Cole incident. It was decided that the quarter deck cut outs were a vulnerable point for terrorists to board the ship when in harbour so the solution was to fit netting. Apparently this is effective because terrorists don't carry knives. :mental: The reality is, it keeps the smokers safely hemmed in when they go to the quarterdeck for a crafty fag at night.

As my model of HMS Somerset is based on her appearance in 1997-1998 I don't need to fit them. :)

The netting was introduced in 2000 after the USS Cole incident. It was decided that the quarter deck cut outs were a vulnerable point for terrorists to board the ship when in harbour so the solution was to fit netting. Apparently this is effective because terrorists don't carry knives. :mental: The reality is, it keeps the smokers safely hemmed in when they go to the quarterdeck for a crafty fag at night.

As my model of HMS Somerset is based on her appearance in 1997-1998 I don't need to fit them. :)

Don't you just love Britmodeller! Where else would you get such valuable reference information :)

• Like 2

I had a look through my photos over the weekend and found some detail shots from my time on HMS Somerset. A couple of them show the detail of the support pillars and the DLF 1 Launchers:

16588536364_d0415cc481_o.jpg

17210993075_a7b66e0f49_o.jpg

I have also started detailing the Bridge Wings with the structure, comms boxes and the Gyro Compass bearing repeaters:

17209313912_cfe6534a95_o.jpg

17185047486_7064ba8ea0_o.jpg

• Like 6

it keeps the smokers safely hemmed in when they go to the quarterdeck for a crafty fag at night.

The British side of me knows and understands what you mean, my immature Canadian side of me is now sniggering profusely!

Edited by moaning dolphin
  • Like 1

The British side of me knows and understands what you mean, my immature Canadian side of me is now sniggering profusely!

I had immense pleasure playing on the word 'fag' when I was on a US carrier/Norfolk VA a couple of years ago. The mere saying of 'I like to have a fag in the morning' and the various responses was something which inwardly amused me

I had immense pleasure playing on the word 'fag' when I was on a US carrier/Norfolk VA a couple of years ago. The mere saying of 'I like to have a fag in the morning' and the various responses was something which inwardly amused me

And to innocently say someone is out puffing on a fag raised more than a few eyebrows!

Anyway I digress! Some nice progress there

Is that a 'Leaf' tanker in the background on 1 jetty?

Looks like one of the Ol class oilers, either RFA Olwen or Olna. Both long since recycled into razor blades.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got Kent on the bench at the moment so following your build has provided loads of information, but I'm curious about the 3 curved bits on the hangar and 1 curved bit on the bridge. Something to do with the fire control?

Kev.

When I had a two week visit to MCAS Cherry Point we took the mickey out a woman playing pool, which apparently she took offence to, told us to kiss her fanny, (bottom in the states). We had to leave before our stifled sniggers turned into more lewd comments.

Meanwhile, back to the build. I love the mods you are adding Paul. A great attention to detail. :thumbsup2:

I've got Kent on the bench at the moment so following your build has provided loads of information, but I'm curious about the 3 curved bits on the hangar and 1 curved bit on the bridge. Something to do with the fire control?

Kev.

I've always wondered about those too :hmmm:

Firstly my apologies for not posting an update recently. Progress on this model has been slowed by work commitments and a catastrophic failure of my airbrush. :weep:

So to answer the comments.

Darby, the picture with the Ol boat in the background was taken back in 1997 prior to Somerset's first deployment so yes it is going back awhile.

Jockster and Ant, the curvy thingies are called radar fences, I am not going to tell you their purpose on a public forum other wise the :bobby: and :ninja: will be after me!

Here is a brief update;

I started playing around with the PE set and decided to make the Foremast Yard arms and the 996 Radar platform, results below:

17382077241_96079d0cef_o.jpg

I now understand why others prefer working in 1:350 scale, I was surprised at how easy it was to get a good result with careful folding of the PE.

I also built the 911 Seawolf trackers with their PE platforms:

17194849420_098d4bc365_o.jpg

I need to say at this point, that the guard railings around the 911 Tracker platform should be regarded as optional as their purpose is to provide protection for maintenance purposes. The guard rails are struck down when operational. However there is no hard and fast rule and during my time on HMS Somerset they were often kept rigged when we were at sea.

I don't know when my next post will be, but thank you for you patience, another instalment will be along eventually. :popcorn:

Edited by Paul E
  • Like 6