My 2nd 1/32 B-17G completed

Towards the end of 2014 I was asked to build the HK 1/32 B-17 in the markings of Yankee Lady with interior and exterior lighting, along with spinning propellers, which I completed just before Christmas 2014. Whilst my customer is having a cabinet built for it he asked if he could store it in one of the display cabinets at Modelair where I work. It’s been sitting there ever since getting lots of attention from our customers. It inspired my latest customer to approach me to build him the same kit, but this time in the markings of ‘Bit O lace’, and asked for the aircraft to be heavily weathered just as the aircraft appears in a lot of period photos of her found online. Once again with lights and spinning propellers.

The first one took just over 4 months to complete, however with my newly gained knowledge of what can and can’t be seen even with interior lighting, I reduced my time to 6 weeks.

I’m still impressed with this kitset. It’s a pretty straightforward build, but has the ability to fatigue the modeller, as the build can be overwhelming. The advice I’d give anyone attempting this model is – don’t sweat the small stuff, especially in the interior. The only repeat offending problems I had with both models is where the top of the fuselage joins to the fuselage sides, as the top part is slightly too wide for the fuselage, and requires a small amount of Mr Surfacer to remove the obvious join.

The decals were printed by Kitsworld, which I was impressed with for a second time. They really conform well to the surface, and sink into panel lines very nicely. The Stars and bars I still think are on the absolute limit for size of a single decal, as once again one of them tore on me. However they are definitely more accurate than the kit offerings. The star and bar on the weathered wing panel is a decal, which was ‘peeled off’ using tamiya tape after the decal was dry. I was petrified whilst doing it, but was very happy with the results.

The chipping effect was achieved by putting lacquer silver down first, then a coat of hairspray, then with acrylics- preshading, colour, then post shading. After all that had dried I attacked the acrylic with a water soaked hard bristled paint brush, and stabbed at the paint until it started to come off. I’ve never used the technique before, overall I’m pleased with the result, however if you’re about to try it, mask off the area you want hairsprayed before you apply it, because if you mask over it the hairspray will come up with masking tape, much to my frustration.

Because of the sheer surface area of the model, I painted the whole model in Tamiya spray can AS12 silver to get colour coverage, then picked out major panels with Alclad colours, which worked out economical.

I guess I’m lucky to have built 2 of these models, and was quite pleased to be able to photograph both together. Because of the space they took up I couldn’t fit them both onto the projector screen without the background showing through, so with that in mind, please forgive me for terrible photoshopping lack of skills trying to hide that problem.

I hope you enjoy the photos.

If you’re in Auckland NZ, be sure to drop by the shop to have a look, as it’ll be on display until it’s collected.

faded9_zpscqv3sms5.jpg

faded10_zpsbbuq8ohj.jpg

faded8_zpsi5ykceoi.jpg

faded7_zpshitpzu85.jpg

IMG_4969_zps0blettiy.jpg

IMG_4972_zps9sdcwl5k.jpg

faded12_zpskoweyimf.jpg

IMG_4983_zpsbnm6qzvr.jpg

IMG_4978_zpsbi4low24.jpg

IMG_4984_zpsfvpj1ixe.jpg

IMG_4988_zpsckxactdx.jpg

faded11_zpslsuwikmn.jpg

faded1_zpsoxinsbuq.jpg

faded3_zpsoo0pmfgg.jpg

faded2_zpsvzmvtzyh.jpg

faded6_zpszyx7rdqy.jpg

faded5_zpsv3c1hle5.jpg

IMG_4925_zps6vpyivph.jpg

faded4_zpsvjokn3nb.jpg

IMG_4988_zpssggozeqe.jpg

IMG_5021_zpsaqhhet9p.jpg

faded13_zpsjeyejbcl.jpg

faded14_zpsnwdxhnwh.jpg

faded15_zpsyzacydl3.jpg

mod_zpsatd1wtwk.jpg

faded16_zpsqvurcugh.jpg

• Like 48

Well we may have won the cricket but you Kiwis sure do win the Gold Trophy for impeccable modelling. :thumbsup:

It's a delight to ogle at :coolio:

Thealuminium panelling paint work is gobsmakingly first class plus the delicate oil flow over the wings from the engines sets the whole model off.

If you can buy me an air ticket from Melbourne I'll pop over to take a closer look :bye:

That is a very impressive looking B-17!

The weathering is incredible, especially the port wing outer panel, and you've built two!

How about a third one in 306th BG markings? :)

Most excellent. The B-17 is such a lovely looking aircraft and you have captured the look perfectly. I love the attention to detail and weathered finish.

I have the Revell 1/72 in my stash just waiting.....