DC-6 Minicraft, TEAL (Tasman Empire Airways Ltd) 1/144

Hi,

Thought I'd post some pictures of my completed DC-6 in TEAL markings. TEAL used three DC-6s between 1954 and 1962 I believe and this is the Minicraft kit of the VC-118 with Old Models Decals used.

I added the astrodome and what I think is a navigation equipment 'canoe' on the lower port fuselage.

The kit went together well, although some of the smaller parts are a little rough/oversize, especially when compared to a kit like the new GWH 1/144 Avro Vulcan! I had a problem with the decals, which I also experienced with two other sets of laser decals from Old Models - they sometimes tended to fold/peal upwards and not stick. I think I have narrowed the problem down to the Micro Sol, which I think might dissolve the decal glue? Anyway, Micro Set works fine.

DSCF4311_zps6vgrtrah.jpg

DSCF4314_zpsly5hhhah.jpg

DSCF4313_zps9xutpfnr.jpg

DSCF4312_zpscst9uomb.jpg

DSCF4310_zpsj2yzapw3.jpg

As usual, the photos reveal a multitude of sins!

Oh well, nice to have this surprisingly big airliner alongside my more modern ones. It's also such a beautiful, classic design I think!

Cheers for now,
Ian

Edited by IanW
  • Like 17

Beautiful airliner indeed. Have been tempted to do the TEAL DC-8. In 1/144, I do admire the prop work, and especially the wire antennas. What did you use for those?

That's really lovely. And I like the visual pun :)

I love a pun, but have missed this one ( and I hate to miss one ). If I don't come back within 24 hours and say "I got it" could you enlighten?

Very nice model, I am putting together a TAA (Australia) version right now! Without googling it, I always thought it was Tasman Empire Airways Ltd - New Zealand, of course!

Hey, thanks for all the kind comments guys!

MikeW, the aerials are just stretched (black) sprue with some dollops of crystal clear for insulators (?). Yep, a DC-8 is on my list too, am waiting for the right-length kit to come out - at the rate we have of new releases, it can't be far away!! Along with a new DC-10! :)

Cheers,

Ian

Edited by IanW