Spitfire RF.Mk.IX colour question...

Artie

Hi all....After your useful advice and oppinions about Airfix's Spitfire Mk.IXc in 1:48 scale, I've decided to build it with some Hasegawa or ICM leftover parts as a cheap enhancement measure....

I've got some spare decals from an Italeri kit (not reallty sure) wich depict a 16 Sqn. machine painted in what they claim to be Pru Pink with some underside invasion stripes. Is there any available reference from Humbrol wich resembles that weird colour????? I think a pink Spitfire would add some colour to my collection, and SWMBO will be very pleased with that option.(so I'll kill two birds with one stone).......

Is it a straight build or shall I make any minor correction (armament, camera lenses, etc...).....

TIA and best regards

There is a sample of the original pink in the National Archives; when I found it, I had to lay it on a sheet of white paper before I could tell that it really is pink.

It's interesting to note that the instructions for the old Almark A36 decal sheet, dedicated to a number of RAF PR types, mention that "off white and pink are impressions of the same colour, a white with a pale pink tone, more pink when fresh".

Considering that this sheet is probably at least 20 year old, I wonder where the idea of PRU pink as a dark pink has come out, yet I've seen many models painted that way and relatively few in a proper pinkish off-white

Considering that this sheet is probably at least 20 year old, I wonder where the idea of PRU pink as a dark pink has come out, yet I've seen many models painted that way and relatively few in a proper pinkish off-white

Perhaps because in 'Wings of the Phoenix' Geoff Thomas cited the BSi 381c colour 453 Shell Pink as a 'near match' to PRU pink. Although of the correct hue, that is more saturated than the original paint colour (although I wouldn't describe it as a dark pink).

Nick

• Like 1

One of the warbirds was painted in a more intense (although not dark) pink, deliberately by the owner to enhance its appearance, and this may have influenced opinions. However, I think it more likely that the very pale colour is simply not what people think of when they see the term "pink. Colour photographs do seem to accentuate the pink tone rather than appearing "off white", which could have been another influence.

• Like 1

The only known (to me) photo, taken in Belgium, is often printed with a pink shade that's far too deep; the giveaway is the face of a cycling "erk," in the foreground, who would need to have come from the Indian sub-continent.

Edited by Edgar
  • Like 1

The only known (to me) photo, taken in Belgium, is often printed with a pink shade that's far too deep; the giveaway is the face of a cycling "erk," in the foreground, who would need to have come from the Indian sub-continent.

as too often links get lost

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:58 PM

There's an original sample in the National Archives, which is so pale that it's only possible to tell it's pink if you lay it on a sheet of white paper. It's kept in an envelope, in a folder, in a file, in a dimly lit room; yes, it's possible that it's faded, over time, but, in the same envelope is a sample of P.R.U. Blue, which hasn't faded by even a fraction. That printing of the colour photo is one of the better renditions that I've seen; too many have had the red racked up to such an extent that the cyclist looks as if he's a Arab.
Edgar

this rendition, from here http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234929226-pr-pink-spitfire-mk-ix/

3269411347_cb1aeac6a9_o.jpg

I forgot where but I read somewhere PRU pink was white with a small portion of wartime roundel red.

Since wartime RR was kind of a greyish reddish orange it would have resulted in a peach tone.

I forgot where but I read somewhere PRU pink was white with a small portion of wartime roundel red.

It wasn't; it was known as PRU Special Pink, and was supplied, ready-mixed, by Titanine Ltd.

Since wartime RR was kind of a greyish reddish orange it would have resulted in a peach tone.

I don't know where that idea comes from, but these are wartime samples, held by the RAF Museum library, of roundel bright red (up to mid-1942) and dull roundel red (1942-on,) photographed in daylight, out of direct sunlight:-

PICT0003%20-%20Copy_zpsu32yqzc0.jpg

I never thought such an ugly colour would give such an interesting discussion........SWMBO shall not know about the existence of this thread. Choosing a colour for our son's bedroom wasn't so difficult at all :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Anyway, Sirs, all your input is very apreciatted..Thank you very much...

Hi all....After your useful advice and oppinions about Airfix's Spitfire Mk.IXc in 1:48 scale, I've decided to build it with some Hasegawa or ICM leftover parts as a cheap enhancement measure....

I've got some spare decals from an Italeri kit (not reallty sure) wich depict a 16 Sqn. machine painted in what they claim to be Pru Pink with some underside invasion stripes. Is there any available reference from Humbrol wich resembles that weird colour????? I think a pink Spitfire would add some colour to my collection, and SWMBO will be very pleased with that option.(so I'll kill two birds with one stone).......

Is it a straight build or shall I make any minor correction (armament, camera lenses, etc...).....

TIA and best regards

Hi!

The best way to make the color ( there are no premixed PRU Plnk paints out there) is to take a jar/tin of your favorite white, and then add red to it, drop by drop stirring after each drop. When the white turns, you will see it turn,you have the color. It is a pale pinkish WHITE.

Bruce

It wasn't; it was known as PRU Special Pink, and was supplied, ready-mixed, by Titanine Ltd.

I don't know where that idea comes from, but these are wartime samples, held by the RAF Museum library, of roundel bright red (up to mid-1942) and dull roundel red (1942-on,) photographed in daylight, out of direct sunlight:-

PICT0003%20-%20Copy_zpsu32yqzc0.jpg

That the mix was done at Titanine doesn't mean it wasn't mixed the way I suggested.

RR has a brownish hue that means it contains yellow and that gives it a slight peachy tone if you lighten it up with white ...

IMO if a modeller just adds bright red to white it doesn't result in the correct color and we have seen lots of models that are too pink.

It needs wartime dull roundel red, that's the main reason I brought up a more likely mix.

I had the naming wrong tho, the correct term is dull roundel red, you are right with that of course.