1/72 AV-8A now available from Airfix.com

John

Does anyone know why there is a £4.00 price hike on this kit over the GR.1 as they are essentially the same aircraft? Apart from the larger mast on the spine there doesn't appear to be any difference. I know the rocket launchers are different but surely this cant justify such a large price increase?

It's the same as with the GR3, with the same rise in price (although the AV-8A may have fewer extra parts). I am led to beleive the new kit has the extra antennae on the fuselage (Both AV-8A and AV-8S) and a different ejection seat as well as different Sidewinders and the LAU launchers

There should also be a bigger decal sheet

Edited by Dave Fleming

Does anyone know why there is a £4.00 price hike on this kit over the GR.1 as they are essentially the same aircraft? Apart from the larger mast on the spine there doesn't appear to be any difference. I know the rocket launchers are different but surely this cant justify such a large price increase?

Maybe Airfix under priced the GR1 to start with (an error ?) Stack them high, sell them cheap does work, hope Airfix made good enough profit so they can reinvest for future new releases. But if they have a successful model why not reissue with new decals at the higher price, Good one Airfix. Lets face it you would have to pay more for the after market decal sheet to make a Spanish AV-8A

• Like 1

Lets face it you would have to pay more for the after market decal sheet to make a Spanish AV-8A

Indeed, I will be getting one for no reason other than that it has AV-8S markings (shame they didn't put Thai markings in there as well, but oh well).

'Cos you can't build Thai from the box - needs the RWR on the fin and tail boom

Well then call the boys at Airfix and have them include the GR.3 sprue in the box! We need the donkey .... and centerline pylon anyway for a proper AV-8A, and those are on that sprue!

Edited by LanceB

Well then call the boys at Airfix and have them include the GR.3 sprue in the box! We need the donkey .... and centerline pylon anyway for a proper AV-8A, and those are on that sprue!

Or, even better, tell Airfix to tool up a proper GR.3 fin!

Cheers,

Andre

Or, even better, tell Airfix to tool up a proper GR.3 fin!

Cheers,

Andre

Hold on, what's this then? I must have missed something, Airfix screwed up their GR.3 vertical stab? How so, too short like the Fujimi kits?

Hold on, what's this then? I must have missed something, Airfix screwed up their GR.3 vertical stab? How so, too short like the Fujimi kits?

Airfix in Grey on the left, correct shape and sized fin from Colin's Freightdog co. in cream resin on the right.

harrier039_zpsc9f04e3f.jpg

Edited by Bill Clark

TBF, it's a 10 minutes fix with some plastic card, but they were a bit embarrased when it was pointed out!

It wouldn't take much to include that sprue in the AV-8 as the parts are on the same overall tree, just the gates for the GR3 bits left off - perhaps a late Spanish and Thai boxing in the future?

• 3 weeks later...

Right Lads, finally put my mittens on a few of these new tool Airfix AV-8As, here be some quick pics of additional sprues and new decals (apologies if someone has already posted pics elsewhere as I have not seen them) personally would like to have seen some extra ordnance (Mk 82 bombs + Napalm and an extra USMC squadron but seeing these can be had aftermarket not really a big issue!) AV8A%201_zpsvkl7qvmi.jpg

AV8A%202_zpsqm1tnfl9.jpg

AV8A%203_zpsexzal9lg.jpg

AV8A%204_zpsqrt0sikr.jpg

• Like 1

So the RWR equipped tail is included too, nice touch ! Ok, pity that the Airfix RWR tail is not correct, but it's IMHO been a good idea to add this to the AV-8 box. A late Spanish or Thai aircraft is indeed possible if the modeller can live with the inaccurate tail.

Thanks for posting those pictures !

Edited by Giorgio N

Interestingly, the 3 parts (far left of pic 3) on sprue E - the refuelling probe and centreline hard point do not feature in the Airfix construction plans of the kit nor does the new tail fin with RWR (they are strangely totally omitted from the plans!)

Edit: tail fin with RWR in the new sprue is exactly same height as that on the Airfix new tool Harrier GR.1 (which is also in the kit)

While I am on the topic of centreline hard point can anyone identify the centreline store on this AV-8C

AV-8A2_zpse763e3ae.jpg

Edited by Uncle Dick