1/72 Concorde problem - Help!

Hi all,

An OOB Build. Ignore all the filler, it's mainly filled but not sanded yet.

Been working on a 1/72nd Concorde (amongst the many challenges) I think I have introduced another.

My engine nacelles are not fitting, I think I may have gotten some parts mixed up, any Concorde builders able to decipher what I have done?

th_IMG_20150330_200552_zpspgbbimsz.jpg

th_IMG_20150330_200524_zpspialy9zu.jpg

This is the under starboard nacelle

th_IMG_20150330_201130_zpsha1xreyc.jpg

th_IMG_20150330_201115_zpsl6jvqgd6.jpg

Current...

th_IMG_20150329_005940_zps79gl3ql8.jpg

Edited by pittnuma

There are fit problems with the nacelles; IIRC you need to remove material from the lower wing skin towards the trailing edge to get the tops of the tailpipes to come up flush to the upper surfaces. I'm sure there's a WIP on here somewhere that deals with this, but I haven't tried looking for it yet.

Heller's tooling for this kit was not the best they ever did, but at least it keeps the filler and wet'n'dry factories in business.

• Like 1

I think I'm correct in that Heller had moulds for this kit made in two different factories...

John

I think each part was made in a different factory, each in a different country and unable to talk to each other.

Graham

• Like 2

wishing you all the best of luck and patience on your build here. I bought this kit 2 years ago with the intention to get to work on it straight away, but just prior to starting the build I decided to go-online to see what other modellers had done during their WIP and was very quickly put off by all the problems associated to this kit. I went 1/144 instead - good luck to you, I hope your end result puts the basic kit to shame..

• Like 1

Thanks, been trying to find the solution somewhere on the nacelles, not been able to find it on here ...yet

The best thing to do is split the two black parts of the nacelle withe the horizontal join line. Then tape the nacelle to the bottom of the wing.

You can now see the scale of the prblem. What I did with mine was to remove a lot of the rear vertical edges of the nacelle at the back. What is important is the black section that fits in the opening is flush with the top of he wing. The small black triangles that shield the flaps and the ailerons nedd a bit of packing underneath them so they look OK from above.

I saw you have lots of filler at the fuselage joins, good luck there. I had many fill, sand, prime and repeat sessions here.

Which colour scheme will you go with?

Regards

Toby

• Like 1

I am now battling to finish the Heller 1/72 Concorde.

It is such a shame that the kit is by far one of the worst 1/72 kits I have ever build.

No respect for Concorde!!!

I am going to finish mine "travel agency" style. I am not worry about detail, just paint, decal and done.

The fit of ALL parts is horrible. I probably have used already two tubes of Tamiya putty.

I will be matting the engine nacelles to the wing in the next few days, I will

let you know how mine works out.

Any one seen the 1/48 Concorde?

Not sure on the colour scheme yet, altho I went to halfords and picked up some white and primer. They had no idea what appliance white is so I took alpine white in the hope that is ok.

Ye seen the 1/48 its huge but at 350 far too much.

I ended up having to trim the nacelle sides, not put them on yet as I am still sanding.

Thanks for the links, those are handy

When o When will the filling end!!

If you do not like mess then Concorde is not for you.

Think this is day 5 of filling and sanding, maybe I should just plaster it into the shape of a brick then whittle the shape out of it!

th_IMG_20150404_131103_zpstc8jn4nm.jpg

• Like 2

I went into Halfords today, they'd never heard of appliance white and suggested Alpine White, anybody any ideas on the colour you normally get from Halfords?

As a Concorde fan, I bought this kit and the Heller boxing, as well as the Airfix and Revell 1:144 offerings. I'm ashamed to admit that I haven't built any of them! I will follow your build though and will be wearing my face mask in sympathy to keep the dust from all the sanding from filling my lungs!

Keep it up!

Aye she is stunning.

I ended up cutting the nacelles to get the fit.

IMG_20150406_225451_zpsigtaqvjp.jpg

Finished

IMG_20150509_123040_zpsogxufbyk.jpg

IMG_20150509_121018_zpsrrbwufsg.jpg

IMG_20150509_121001_zpsfvdqgkje.jpg

IMG_20150509_120956_zpszwuq7w7r.jpg

IMG_20150509_120950_zpsqwg1ohlp.jpg

IMG_20150509_115519_zpsfy4hetv4.jpg

Edited by pittnuma
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...

Looks great, lovely finish!

:thumbsup:

When o When will the filling end!!

If you do not like mess then Concorde is not for you.

Think this is day 5 of filling and sanding, maybe I should just plaster it into the shape of a brick then whittle the shape out of it!

th_IMG_20150404_131103_zpstc8jn4nm.jpg

I look forward to the sanding and filling when I start mine!

gotta say - you've really made something wonderful there. I always wanted a 72nd Concorde but did not want to go through the hassle of what you and everyone else went through -but your build might just change my mind.

That's just beautiful

• 3 weeks later...