Alternatives to Halfords Grey Primer

mollythedog

Have used Halfords primer for years,it is probably the best by far-recently have ruined several models using alclad,which I used to swear by too. Now,despite the half dozen + airbrushes I own,I think I'll stick to rattle cans for primer. It works,and doesn't fall off.

Has anyone tried any of the alternatives out there? I saw some from Simoniz on ebay,atleast it is a name I know,and at around £5 for 500ml instead of Halfords £7.50. Has anyone tried it?

Before anyone mentions the Poundland stuff,don't. It is **** and the smell is something else-I can stand most paint smells but this is the worst I have ever come across.It is very dark,almost black,and glossy.And it doesn't stick that well.

All suggestions welcome,except standing in a bowl of custard while dressed as a nun.

mtd

I tried out B&Qs own label/cheap brand cans once. Don't bother, it came out rather... lumpy.

Rather like the bowl of custard which I was about to suggest that mollythe dog stood in, dressed as a nun.... (original post).

Since I've moved from Halford's to Tamiya's own primer, I never looked back. Tamiya's sure is more expensive, but the difference in quality IMHO fully justifies the price difference

I would second that. I get a very smooth finish with the Tamiya primer that keeps all the details and doesn't pull off under masking tape.

Pat

Thanks chaps,for all the suggestions. I'll have a look in the Range next time I'm near one,never been there (led a sheltered life..).

I don't doubt that for quality,the Tamiya stuff is good.I also suspect it is formulated for plastics-I scratchbuild in plastic but actually work with white metal,and want a primer that sticks to metal and P/E. And,being a cheapskate, I am looking for a better price than Halfords are selling theirs for,as I'll be using quite a lot of it.

Cheers

mtd

Hi guys, may I ask what can you thin tamiya primer with? I always seem to put too much on straight from the can and was wondering if I can decant it instead, but adding a little of whatever thinners to the mix to stop it going on grainy after a few minutes of spraying. Best regards,

David.

Edited by mirageiv

Thanks chaps,for all the suggestions. I'll have a look in the Range next time I'm near one,never been there (led a sheltered life..).

I don't doubt that for quality,the Tamiya stuff is good.I also suspect it is formulated for plastics-I scratchbuild in plastic but actually work with white metal,and want a primer that sticks to metal and P/E. And,being a cheapskate, I am looking for a better price than Halfords are selling theirs for,as I'll be using quite a lot of it.

Cheers

mtd

Tamiya's primer is not designed for plastic only, works perfectly also on metal and resin. I rarely work with white metal these days, however I use it on all my non prepainted etch sheets and all my resin bits and works flawlessly.

Unfortunately it is indeed quite expensive

If its metal you work with you need an etch primer: this is your man without resorting to car body voodoo mixtures. It will work with most metal providing you degrease with a good solvent (lacquer or cellulose thinner as we non yanks call it)

A word of caution, its a "hot" mixture and can melt some styrene if allowed to pool. As for smell, this is beyond toxic, extractor and face mask with acid gas filters or let the wife know where your will is.

This will bond by chemically etching with the top few molecules of your metal as well as any resin etc. It may kill you but you will leave a legacy of durably finished models that we will all admire.

Anil

• Like 2

Hi guys, may I ask what can you thin tamiya primer with? I always seem to put too much on straight from the can and was wondering if I can decant it instead, but adding a little of whatever thinners to the mix to stop it going on grainy after a few minutes of spraying.

I have found that even after I have given a kit a real blast with the Tamiya primer so all the detail appears to have vanished under a pool of paint, it emerges an hour or so later after it has dried.

• 2 months later...

Tamiya primer in the rattle can is awesome. I first tried Vallejo primer but hated it. Tamiya is much better and once dried, not only it has a wonderful finish that reveals the tiniest imperfections, but it is extremely resistant (not sure this is the right word. What I mean is that it gets as tough as a nail). Maybe it's not too cheap but any model shop online sells it so no problem to find it.

I just would love it if Tamiya bothered to make a version of their primer that one can spray with an airbrush.... that would be perfection! ! :D

Edited by Tyrrhenus

Ive used many primers over the last couple of years, but ive found so far that Halfords is the best for me.

Not only is it cheaper than model primer, but it does the same (if not better) job IMO, also at £7.50 for 500mls its not a bad price.

But I might take a look at the Simoniz/Holts primer as there is a car shop on my way home from work as its only £3.99 for 500ml on amazon, if they can match that price.

Nowt wrong with saving a few quid, as some of you have said that the holts is better than halfords.

Wilkos do decent grey and white enamel primers at £4.99 each. and whats wrong with standing in a bowl of custard dessed as a nun?

• 9 months later...

Ive just bought a can of Simoniz Grey primer and im shocked, not in a good way, with the quality. Ive mixed gloss black and gold humbrol enamel paints, painted onto the the Simoniz primer and the paint just rubs off. I've never seen anything like it.

To add to this, the primer easily scratches off too. Ive not got long nails and a little scratch on the parts flakes the primer off.

Ill give the parts another few sprays but to be honest i think its had it.

Ive srill got some frame left over which has been sprayed with the halfords own primer and that takes some scratching off.

Anyone else had a problem with the Simoniz primer?

I had the same problem with peeling after I bought a can to experiment with.

Easily peals off, especially when I had to use tape to hold small parts on after I have primed the main hull on my Kazon Raider.

On Halfords primer, I have used many tapes to hold on the those small parts & never once had any primer lift.

After I used the Simoniz can, I just went back to Halfords.

I tweeted to Simoniz about their paint. It turns out i bough the wrong primer, i didnt buy the plastic primer, instead i bought standard primer.

I went to buy the Hycote Plastic primer instead. Its the same thickness as halfords but about half the price and the dark grey colour where the Simoniz is a thinner primer and a lighter grey. The Hycote gloss colours are fairly impressive too.

I use the Hycote grey XUK612 Plastic Primer Aerosol Spray. It goes on really well and once you give it time to properly dry and cure overnight it's pretty hardy/ I have used Tamiya masking tape / foil / white tac etc over it when masking up or holding small bits on when gluing and it has no effect on the primer coat at all