Matchbox nostalgia build (P-12E)

Jonathan Mock's article on the old Matchbox 1/72nd scale Messerschmitt Bf109E in the latest issue of MAI started last Friday a conversation between my father and I about the good old kits and how fun it would be to try building those kits again. Shortly thereafter we stood in the basement looking for old Matchbox kits. :)

My father give me four kits for this nostalgia trip. The three Matchbox kits in the picture plus an older Airfix Gladiator in the original bag issue.

Matchbox-kits.jpg

I started the P-12E on Saturday. I had decided not to paint it because of the green and yellow plastic.

Now it's finished. I only used my hobby knife, files, wet'n'dry and glue.

Matchbox_P-12_01.jpg

Matchbox_P-12_02.jpg

It was great fun building this old kit. The other two Matchbox kits will be painted due to their aluminium finish.

If just all kits took three days to finish... Then it would take me just 518 days to finish the stash I have. Perhaps I should go buy some more models. ;)

Jens

• Like 8

Very neat looking, but where are the huge thumbprints all over the wings and fuselage? Loved these kits as a kid and you have epitomised why they were so popular, nice finish out of the box and no messy painting. Looking forward to the others.

Cheers now

Bob

Thanks for the comments. :)
It sure was fun building it. I guess I will have to buy and build the new issue Airfix Gladiator for comparison, even though 1/72 scale isn't my favourite.

Jens