Avionics in the F-15C "Hellhole"?

ErikB

Hi everyone,

I have got the Great Wall Hobby F-15C MSIP II kit. I'm looking for photos of the avionics behind the cockpit of the USAF variant. They seem quite hard to find, however. I found photos with all of the missing and the Verlinden Lock-On from 1989(!) has them covered because they were classified at that time. Maybe Jake Melampy's F-15 book contains photos of this area but sadly I missed out on it and the book is OOP

I want to know how the wiring (if any) runs from the boxes to where ever and what the shape and color of the boxes is.

I have found one photo of the area with boxes, only this is an F-15CJ, I don't know if they use Panasonic or Sony avionics or the same as the USAF?...

f15j%20cockpit.jpg

Photo from www.afwing.com

I hope someone of you can help me out! Thanks!!

Regards,

Erik.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Unfortunately its still against the rules to take photos of that area. Those Japanese boxes are shorter than ours as our (USA) boxes go up to just a few inches lower than the cockpit sill. They are shaped generally the same. The harness is a huge forresty/olive green cloth enclosed bundle that goes along the underside of the sill and spaghetti's out to the boxes. Pretty much all wires in the F-15 are encased in the same colored sleeve. The main harness is apprx the thickness of a 2-2.5" diameter pipe. The last 6-8 inches of each harness is normally wrapped in black tape or mesh at the connector end and should have a small yellow band around it which has the connector number information. Each box typically has 3-4 harness connectors. In the F-15C, the third box from the front is bigger and has a lot more connectors (same height as the rest, but it sticks out into the bay further by 3 inches.) There are six boxes and They are all painted Black. They are heavy and we always bang them into things installing them so they get scratched up pretty good.

• Like 2

I found a host of pictures by doing an image search of "F15 Bay 5". Plenty of reference pictures there that I hope you will find useful.

David

• 2 months later...

Sorry for the late reaction, guys.... Too many fora, too little time and sometimes one slips through, I'm afraid.... Imagine that some of us also find the time to actually build a model!! ;)

Anyhow, thanks for your answers!

Cheers,

Erik.