Aeronavale F-8E (FN) & Super Etendard 1/48 Fini!

The F-8 is Hasegawa's E model and the SuE is Airfix.

Was intending to build the F-8 only, but Im being held up waiting some after market bits, so why not press on with something else that fits the GB while I wait.

I tend not to take too many pics pre main fuselage assembly

Here's where the F-8 is right now though..............

Using Tamiya acrylics...........

100_2108.jpg

I applied a Brown Hue pre shade...............

100_2111.jpg

and then some lighter panel shading, but hopefully subtle and not too heavy............

100_2112.jpg

100_2114.jpg

100_2113.jpg

Cant progress a lot further until my Skyraider decals arrive................

SuE update tomorrow

Edited by Gary West
  • Like 5

Easter slowing things down a little but more on the F-8................

My favourite Cold war decade is the 70s and so not too surprisingly I selected the appropriate scheme but Im very aware that compared to their USN cousins, the Aeronavale versions look a little bare.

For that reason I think its crucial to show her parked, with the rarer wings tilted up position, which always means slats extended to show the additional kink initially unique to the F-8E (FN) but also later adopted by the USN..

photo_141575.jpg

Because my kits the standard USN E model, time to get the plasticard and saw out....................

100_2149.jpg

100_2148.jpg

still need some work but heading in the right direction.

• Like 2

wow, very nice and fast!

I always forget o watch the group build threads... so when I get here accidentally, I encounter nice , and very nice surprises!

the crusader looks spectacular in these early Aeronavale colors!

and SuE or will it be a SEM? looks great and will do so even more in camo!

:)

• Like 1

Gary,

How did I miss this thread?

Nice progress with the Crusader and well done for having the courage to cut the wing up to show it in the tilted position - I tried to do that several years ago with the Monogram Crusader - completely ballsed it up and ruined a good kit, still, nothing ventured and all that jazz!

Good luck

Wez

• Like 1

Trying to get the F-8 onto her wheels today.............. main u/c legs attached, so I need to finish the inside of the doors (must wear my glasses more often, I might align things straight then!!)

100_2155.jpg

Spraying the wheels up next

• Like 1

Thanks Andrew & Patrice - shes up on her sea legs now, but the moment I sat her down I realised the wongs weren't dead straight, so off they came, ruler out and back on again.............will wait for the sun to show itself and take a couple of pics :popcorn:

Edited by Gary West
  • Like 1

Thanks Rom

She had a raw umber oil wash (kept it quite tight) and as you can see she's now on her wheels. Ive added the missile rails because she will carry a couple of Matra magics

100_2156.jpg

100_2158.jpg

100_2161.jpg

Nearing the finish line, although I need to find a scale comparison of the horizontal stab because the E kit has the standard size and the FN versions was larger - the biggest challenge could be ahead of me still!!!

• Like 2

Hopefully the last update on the F-8 before appearing as Fini so I can focus solely on the Etendard........

Slats, flaps and horizontal stabs now attached.....

100_2163.jpg

100_2162.jpg

100_2164.jpg

Just some work to do immediately behind the nose cone, give her a matt finish and sort the seat out and shes pretty much there........

Hello Gary !

I just caught up with your topic a few days ago !

If you have a look to my avatar you will easily realize than I'm a fan of the french Aeronavale and of the Cruze as well.

And I've been thinking about your beautiful Crudader since I discovered your topic ... and checked my documentation .

If you want to have a real accurate model I think you should remove the MARINE stencil from it. The french Crusader were delivered in standard USN scheme ( seagull grey on upperside , white for the underside and mobile surfaces ) without any MARINE inscription on them.

In 1977 the french navy decided to write MARINE on all it's aircrafts : Etendards and others.

Crusaders were then gradually repainted in overall grey with MARINE appearing on the machines.

To sum up : USN scheme = no marine stencil . / overall grey = always MARINE stencil

Sorry to provide this information that late :sorry: and nevertheless your model is VERY NICE .

Edited by basket

To sum up : USN scheme = no marine stencil . / overall grey = always MARINE stencil

Sorry to provide this information that late :sorry: and nevertheless your model is VERY NICE .

Hello Basket - no problems better late than never - luckily before I build I apply the 3 Rs............research, research, research :winkgrin:

Just 3 of many examples showing USN scheme with "Marine" applied......................to be perfectly correct I did not find my a/c 30 but I liked that number best.

9969.jpg

ancien-194.jpg

Ancien-245.jpg