Matchbox Dornier Skyservant 1:72 - Son's First "Real" Model.

This is the first "serious" model my 7 year old son and I built together over the last few weeks.

Kit was picked up at Huddersfield show for £3.

Build thread here:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234976911-dornier-skyservant-matchbox-172/

The idea was that I'd show him some simple, fun techniques like paint masking and rattle can spraying, that I thought he could do himself. Some of it was "watch and learn", mostly it was "do it like this...now do the rest on your own". Biggest issue was me not allowing him to use a scalpel - even under supervision. Excluding the small bits where I was physically showing him how to do stuff by example, the model is entirely his work. We had a blast!

50M4TP3M.jpg

eJixXJrw.jpg

f7gXxj48.jpg

2C9VGxaR.jpg

OPxbuaQW.jpg

kTAl3Z4R.jpg

qaG4TEN0.jpg

1EUeL16N.jpg

PE4zQe9o.jpg

That's it folks - Thanks for watching!

Final word should go to the man himself:

I put loads of effort in the Skyservant. Finally I completed the Skyservant. It looks really good it looks super. The last thing I did were the very, very small windows- I also did the doors which were a bit bigger.

Edited by dr_gn
  • Like 25

Blimey - even the propellers spin! It took me a good few models at his age before I mastered that...and painting was a long way in the future.

Well done young 'un!

Cheers,

Dean

• Like 2

Very very well done to you,young man..to create something that good at such a young age is a real atchievment.you should be very proud indeed..fantastic work.

Please do more and post your pictures...

Daz

• Like 1

Blimey - even the propellers spin! It took me a good few models at his age before I mastered that...and painting was a long way in the future.

Well done young 'un!

Cheers,

Dean

Thanks!

I thought PVA would be the answer to small things like doors, windows, wheels, etc etc, and prop retainers; I showed him how to just apply a blob on the back of the prop stubs/retainers, and with no capillary action, or dissolving of plastic, they spun fine first time. On this kit they are pretty easy to do , becasue they are not trapped between fuselage halves, rather they push through a one-piece engine panel. He couldn't get over how they spin when you hold a hair dryer in front of them, which is how we got that picture!

Thanks!

I thought PVA would be the answer to small things like doors, windows, wheels, etc etc, and prop retainers; I showed him how to just apply a blob on the back of the prop stubs/retainers, and with no capillary action, or dissolving of plastic, they spun fine first time. On this kit they are pretty easy to do , becasue they are not trapped between fuselage halves, rather they push through a one-piece engine panel. He couldn't get over how they spin when you hold a hair dryer in front of them, which is how we got that picture!

Just remember to set it on 'cold'... :P

Dean

Great job. That brings back memories, I remember doing the skyservant when I was a nipper, I recall the gloss orange paint on the tail never dried, then it had orange fingerprints, then cat hair, then...

I thoroughly enjoyed your WIP updates; It really brought back lovely memories of when I first starting making model kits and why I enjoy this hobby so much. Its so good to see the hobby continued by the next generation ( I'm hoping my nephew will be interested when he's a bit older, already bought him a couple of those airfix quick builds :D)

First class model, well done young man! I'm looking forward to your next one