1/72 - Boeing AH-64D Longbow Apache by Academy - released - new boxing in 2020

Homebee

If those sprues are it, it doesn't look like it will be possible to build an AH.1 OOB.

I'm amazed that Airfix didn't, or haven't yet offered a new tool Apache in 1/48 to go with their Herrick range. Great opportunity to release a new tool AW Apache from the box, and it doesn't even seem to have crossed their mind. Same with a 1/48 Brit Chinook, too. I know the Hase AH-64D offering is great, what with the AM stuff available to convert to Brit-spec, but even theirs has room for improvement.

*edit: What's even more surprising is that Academy hasn't gone for a -D Block III/AH-64E offering with this new kit. I would imagine that it wouldn't have been to much effort to put a little research and a bit more plastic in the kit to include a revised DAS fit and M-TADS housing. That would be something to get a little excited about, at least.

*edit mk.2: and why not in 1/35, Academy?!! Come on, already!

Edited by daryl_five_zero

I must confess I kind of gulped at the price... But, considering what I commited to the Model Graphix F-14D... Ah well :D

Needless to say, I'l be forking out for this one as well ;)

Edited by cvrle

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

At first glance this kit looks suitable to produce(With suitable decals) any of the first 18 AH-MK1 Apache that were delivered to the British Army, these airframes were delivered with the standard US Defensive aids suite - eventually these airframes were returned to Yeovil for retrofitting with the UK Specific HIDAS suite. Here is a link to one of these aircraft (ZJ173 the first Westland built airframe) at Yeovilton air day in 2000.

http://www.airsceneuk.org.uk/airshow00/yeovilton/zj173.htm

Obviously, aftermarket will be required to produce the HIDAS fit or the later sensor suite configuration now sported by the fleet.

Edit: to correct initial production run, 18, not 16- sorry its nearly 15 years ago!

And on a closer look, Part 88 in the sprue shot above shows the three display configuration (2 DU and a TEDAC in the centre) of the later MTADS Block III equipped aircraft which will be handy for any late UK models, including the later herrick cabs.

• Like 1

I suspected they would simply add extra bits to their -64A kit but no, a whole new mold. And Cartograph decals.

I do suspect it'll be £15-20 though...

(Time to sell the Hase in my stash on eBay)...

I do have to say, for someone that doesn't usually build 1/72 that I serious like the look of this and may well be adding it to the stash

• 4 weeks later...

That is rather nice, and from my point of view as a retailer, the Apache is always popular with the general public in any scale and I suspect this one will be as well.

By the way, what do you call an attack helicopter with a bad paint job?

A patchy gunship. :lol::bangin:

Ha ha- oh, my coat and hat. Thank you.

Edited by T7 Models
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

That is rather nice, and from my point of view as a retailer, the Apache is always popular with the general public in any scale and I suspect this one will be as well.

By the way, what do you call an attack helicopter with a bad paint job?

A patchy gunship. :lol::bangin:

Ha ha- oh, my coat and hat. Thank you.

You deserve something for that joke! and its not laughter!!

The kit is really good, and even so for the money. I was half expecting an old tool with new bit, but it is a new tool, and well thought out/made.

Looks pretty good and will be going on the want list. Decals by cartograf which should mean I don't need to buy an aftermarket set to replace them.

Decals are excellent, will take a while for all the stencils though!

• 4 months later...