Revell 1/48 F4U-7 Corsair en Algerie, c'est fini!

Okay it's time for a quick update.

Since my last post the Corsair has taken on the shape of.... well a Corsair. I have to say that the assembly of the main components was not as trouble free as I would have hoped. The fuselage halves were not too bad with just a small amount of filler required and the tail planes were about the same but the same cannot be said when it comes to attaching the fuselage to the wing assembly. It's as if they were from different kits! the gap at the front was terrible being about 1mm on either side, and I no I didn't do anything wrong on the sub-assemblies (at least not that drastic). So it was out with the super glue and filler and the "serious" sanding stick.

Having sorted all the gaps I have given the model an overall coat of Tamiya chrome silver both as an undercoat and for weathering later and this is how she looks now...

bradgate%20again%20001_zpsj3xbaobq.jpg

bradgate%20again%20002_zpscsykakln.jpg

Oooh shiny isn't it!!

Don't worry I shall be applying a coat of navy blue soon.

As usual all comments and criticisms are welcome and thanks for looking.

Craig.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi wez,

Sorry for the lack of updates, got carried away with my Phantom build for another GB and have just got back from holiday.

Yes she does have a coat of blue on her, but it needs polishing before I can apply the decals. I shall try to get some pictures done over the weekend, and hopefully some work too!

Craig.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay it's time for a (long) overdue update.

As I mentioned in one of my earlier posts I have been distracted by my Phantom for the STGB ( the problem of having so many great group builds on the go at the same time ), but with a new job looming which will probably mean less modelling time I have had to pull my finger out and get on with this. It's not that I have lost interest in either the kit or the GB, just that I am spectacularly bad at building multiple models at the same time.

So, on with the photo's. The model is in a sort of Jekyll and Hyde scheme at the moment with one side in pristine fresh paint and markings and the other being mostly weathered.

These first two show the clean side after being polished and the markings applied.

f4u%20update%20001_zpsnalics3h.jpg

f4u%20update%20002_zpslvagmghy.jpg

The MDC decals are more accurate and the colour density is better but they are very thick and a bugger to get to conform and to settle down. I have used the Revell decals for the stencilling and the tail flash and they performed perfectly, settling into all the detail and leaving no silvering. It's just a pity they got the size of the unit and aircraft numerals so wrong that I could not use them.

The next set of photo's show the mostly weathered side of the aircraft and my attempts at reproducing the effects seen in the photo's on my first post, it's not perfect but it is getting there. When doing the weathering it's important to remember to weather the markings, I have seen many fantastic models where the builder has forgotten to weather the markings but has weathered the model and they do not look right. Anyway the photo's........

f4u%20update%20003_zps4ythxucz.jpg

f4u%20update%20006_zpsxfcnsyad.jpg

f4u%20update%20007_zpsu4ciueze.jpg

As usual all comments and criticisms are welcome.

Now I must get on and continue the weathering!

Craig.

• 3 weeks later...

Right then, after a prolonged absence due to a change of job which means I have about half the modelling time that I had before, my Corsair is finally finished!!

I have enjoyed building this model and it will not be my last Corsair, nor will it be my last French aircraft (I have several of both in the stash!) and I have to thank Wez and Enzo for hosting the group build and of course Mish for running the GB section.

So without further ado here are the pictures;

cov%20corsair%20028_zpseqpse2b9.jpg

cov%20corsair%20029_zps6lvbyeiv.jpg

cov%20corsair%20030_zpshi6hb7wl.jpg

cov%20corsair%20031_zpsyisqvnn7.jpg

cov%20corsair%20032_zpsgfn8lswa.jpg

cov%20corsair%20033_zpsct9okall.jpg

As you can see she is quite heavily weathered and dirty, which I think is appropriate for an aircraft operating from the dusty and sandy airfields of Algeria.

Special thanks go to my wife for providing a hair to use as aerial wire (it's not that colour naturally I have to paint it silver!).

As usual all comments and criticisms are welcome, and thank you all for looking.

Craig.

• Like 4

Great BIG bird with nice weathering! What did you use to remove upper paint layer? Indeed, I want such weathering on my Corsair (I like F4U-7 almost as french AU-1, and some day, may be...) !

• Like 1

Thanks for the kind words guys, much appreciated.

Snorry, I used micro-mesh to remove the blue paint layers. It comes in various grades which makes it quite easy to control how much paint you are removing, you just need to use water with it and keep checking regularly to make sure you have not removed too much. If you do remove too much it can be replaced with a little dry-brushing of the aluminium colour. I look forward to seeing you build a Corsair as I really like your Hellcat.

Thank you, Craig, about advice for using micro-mesh. I just find the shop sell it, what grades do you use? They have 1500, 2400, 3200, 4000, 6000, 8000 and 12000, and I suppose I do not need all that (and they are not cheap :( ).

About corsair. I do not want to start building it right now, my next french aircraft will be... You will see! :)

• Like 1

Thank you, Craig, about advice for using micro-mesh. I just find the shop sell it, what grades do you use? They have 1500, 2400, 3200, 4000, 6000, 8000 and 12000, and I suppose I do not need all that (and they are not cheap :( ).

About corsair. I do not want to start building it right now, my next french aircraft will be... You will see! :)

Hi Snorry,

I use 3200,4000,6000,8000 and 12000 but you do not need to use all of these, you could miss out the 4000 and probably the 8000 and still get similar results. You are right about the cost, they really are not cheap but you could also try nail polishing sticks as some of these have very fine grades on them and are much cheaper.

I look forward to seeing your next french aircraft, whatever it may be.

Love the heavy weathering on her, nice job looks like she builds up well, would you recommend this kit Craig ?

Thanks Blitz23,

Yes I would recommend this kit, it has a few issues as I pointed out in the build but on the whole it is a good and accurate model which fits well (except for a couple of areas, most notably the lower front fuselage to wing joint). If you want to build a French one I suggest trying to find the Revell re-boxing the same as I used as the stencil decals are really very good, the national markings are not bad but they are a little translucent on a dark background. If you paint a white disc where they are going to sit then they will be fine. The aircraft/unit codes are much too big on the Revell sheet though and either need to be replaced by ones from the MDC set as I did or you could mask and spray them.

Hope that this has been helpful to you.

Craig.

• Like 1

This is an incredible result! :thumbsup:

It is very very easy to overdo weathering, especially on a heavily weathered subject like this. However, in this case the weathering is prefect and serves to make it look more real. It's a battered aeroplane and some people are obviously working really hard to keep it airworthy.

• Like 1