Revell 1/48 F4U-7 Corsair en Algerie, c'est fini!

Hi all,

My entry for this Group Build is going to be the Revell boxing of the excellent Hasegawa F4U-7 Corsair in 1/48 scale.

These aircraft were used extensively by the Aeronavale during this bitter conflict and were operated from both shore bases and carrier decks, their good range and ability to carry a large amount of just about anything you could possibly want to drop on or fire at people making them very popular (with the French at least, probably less so the Algerians).

Here are the usual "kit in bits" shots.

post%20%20Corsair%20005_zpsyoruhvvd.jpg

Striking box art of the usual Suez marked aircraft.

post%20%20Corsair%20006_zpse6luqf4a.jpg

The contents and decals sheet laid out.

post%20%20Corsair%20007_zpsv01hsaky.jpg

A closer shot of the excellent Revell decal sheet.

And now a couple of shots of the real thing to give some idea of the finish I am going to try and achieve, and to prove that they were also shore based, and very, very dirty!

AU1_Corsair_129391_de_la_14F_pilote_SM_V

F4U7-Corsair-12F795x507_zpsdijxgp47.jpg

I hope that this choice of topic meets with the approval of the other group builders (there are some great topics on the go already).

Any help and advice (and criticism) is always welcome.

Thanks for looking.

Craig.

Edited by modelling minion
  • Like 7

Craig,

Great choice and great photo's, who said real aeroplanes don't get incredibly tatty? I'd be keen to see just how you replicate that finish.

Welcome to the GB.

Wez

• Like 1

Thank you for the warm welcome Wez, Patrice and Col.

I shall try and do the subject the justice it deserves, and not disappoint you all.

Patrice those links are going to prove very useful, some great pictures and info there, at least as far as my very rusty school boy French allows me understand them. But then pictures are the same in any language.

Craig.

Hi Craig,

great choice indeed! A shame you do not want to display this Corsair with the Suez stripes... I find them fitting, even if slightly gaudy...

But a sober-looking, nicely weathered -7 will be just as sexy!

JR

• Like 1

Nice one been after that boxing for a while.

Aim with you no Suez stripes that's how I would do mine.

Make it and enjoy doing it.

Paul

• Like 1

Thank you for the warm welcome Wez, Patrice and Col.

I shall try and do the subject the justice it deserves, and not disappoint you all.

Patrice those links are going to prove very useful, some great pictures and info there, at least as far as my very rusty school boy French allows me understand them. But then pictures are the same in any language.

Craig.

Good afternoon Craig

You can try a translator on the net ..

Patrice

• Like 1

Thanks for all the interest and support guys.

I have made a start, honestly! I will post a proper update with some photos later. I am also giving some thought to building a second model for this GB but cannot as yet decide what to go with, too many models to choose from I suppose.

Craig.

Right then as promised here are some pictures of the progress so far.

The engine after being first sprayed Tamiya NATO black (as were all the cockpit parts), then drybrushed and given a wash.

f4u%20%20boo%20001_zpskgwxod2y.jpg

f4u%20%20boo%20010_zpsr88se8fc.jpg

I used the kit decal sheets instrument decal to bring some life to the instrument panel, followed by more drybrushing.

f4u%20%20boo%20009_zpshfni7is8.jpg

The cockpit floor, having been given the same treatment.

f4u%20%20boo%20013_zpsfo9cpnf9.jpg

I found this fabulous decal sheet at Hinckley, being sold by a member of my own club! And for only £2, even better. The numerals on the kit decal sheet are oversize so this sheet will be of great help.

f4u%20%20boo%20014_zpsshxpwzyn.jpg

And for all you cat owners who regularly have "assistance" with your modelling and think you have it bad, take a look at my assistant Mabel. Guaranteed to appear and want attention whenever I sit in the front room to do some modelling. Now you try building a kit with half a ton of Labrador on your lap!

f4u%20%20boo%20007_zpsbnknqark.jpg

Thanks for looking. As usual all comments and criticisms are welcome, unless they are about my socks.

Craig.

• Like 1

Craig, well done for making a start.

On my boxing of this kit there was a step for the different nose moulding for the AU-1 which was quite prominent on the outside of the fuselage, I spent a bit of time trying to eradicate it without losing too much surface detail but then I lost heart and put it away in the stash - must dig it out some time, maybe your build will be the catalyst.

Good move on getting the Adeco - as you say, much better than the kit sheet.

Wez

• Like 1

Thanks Wez,

I have heard a few modellers mention the step on the nose for the moulding of different versions but I seem to have been very lucky as mine is okay. I would love to see you build your AU-1, maybe as a companion build for this GB?

And yes the Adeco sheet is much better than the kit one, although the kit sheet has a fantastic array of stencil decals.

Craig.

Thanks Wez,

I have heard a few modellers mention the step on the nose for the moulding of different versions but I seem to have been very lucky as mine is okay. I would love to see you build your AU-1, maybe as a companion build for this GB?

And yes the Adeco sheet is much better than the kit one, although the kit sheet has a fantastic array of stencil decals.

Craig.

Craig,

I've got the F4U-7 too although I will have to keep my eye out for the AU-1 too.

There's no chance of me doing it for this GB though - too much on my plate!

Hopefully get some time to have a crack at the Ouragan this weekend.

Wez

• Like 1

I have been watching your Ouragan, very nice.

Good enough to inspire me to look for one myself! And a nice enough model to make me take a serious look at some of the other Heller classics, with the amount of Heller kits being built recently it makes me think that it might make a good idea for a future Group Build.

Craig.

Right now that Cosford is out of the way and some actual progress has been made it's time for a quick update.

There hasn't been a huge amount of progress but hopefully in the next day or two seemingly large steps will take place (when the fuselage is closed up things start to take shape rapidly).

I needed some square section thin plastic rod (which I got from Cosford) to add a bit of detailing to the otherwise sparse cockpit walls, it's probably not 100% accurate but it looks a lot better than the blank walls as built straight from the box.

f4u%20update%20012_zpsrc9knqgx.jpg

I did the same on the opposite fuselage half and added a scratch built throttle quadrant, which again may not be 100% accurate but makes it look a bit busier and better, to my eyes anyway.

f4u%20update%20009_zps3qhodrku.jpg

The seatbelts were made from Tamiya masking tape, spare bits of Eduard sets and some wire.

Now that the cockpit is out of the way I can glue the fuselage halves together and it will begin to look more like a Corsair.

As usual all comments and criticisms are welcome, and thanks for looking.

Craig.

Hi Craig,

good work so far.

Just a question: were the interior of the Corsairs still interior green then? I am just curious and I realize I have no clue about it!

Keep it up!

JR

• Like 1