Takom 1/144 Lankreuzer P1000 and Maus kit

Hello All,

This kit appeared to make some waves when it was announced. Anyways here is some progress on it. The build itself so far is going smoothly and Takom gets plenty of gold stars as the engineering is pretty good with a logical parts breakdown. The kit is moulded in dark yellow and a fetching hull red. The kit comes with 2x 1/144 scale Pz VIII Maus. Fit is good and it would help if I wasn't quite so ham fisted but we live and learn.

Here is the hull compared with a 1/72 scale nashorn!!!

004_zpsizlt8ya8.jpg

005_zpsf3nv5eqf.jpg

007_zps8sbarch7.jpg

008_zpse99yopwq.jpg

Maus

001_zpsy2n9mgjq.jpg

003_zpswcv6a0dq.jpg

004_zpslcjv3buu.jpg

Not much filler needed, mostly my fault and they look a treat.

Landkreuzer

Running gear

001_zpsza7hy2n1.jpg

AA installations

003_zpsaksu1ppz.jpg

The Main guns in their turret!

001_zpscasb8oaz.jpg

002_zpsq71gqdcb.jpg

Upper deck fit out

003_zpsudtcde7o.jpg

That's where we are at for the moment.

Ian

Edited by Farnarkle
  • Like 8

A quick update -- construction is now just about done. Replaced AAA gun barrels with Master model 1/700 sea master series metal barrels. They are German 105's (SM-700-003) and the slightly longer US navy modern 5 inchers/127mm (SM-700-021) I have an old Lion Roar 15in main gun (that was originally intended for the trumpeter 1/700 scale Bismarck that will replace the bow 128mm. The engineering of the Master model guns just has to be seen to be believed. They are so fine and make perfect 20mm/37mm substitutes.

Some poor construction work on the running gear came back to bite me. With a slight torsion of an idler meant that there was a slight offset in the tracks. at least the dodgy fix up is hidden under the skirts (no peeking now). There were at least 4 or 5 left over individual links which is good as it does give you a bit of flexibility.

001_zpsi3ofkzen.jpg

003_zpsphfsn21z.jpg

004_zpsqjbeddnr.jpg

010_zpsoypjlczg.jpg

011_zpsgyiyyddy.jpg

014_zps7vkepjv8.jpg

015_zps2x6eyllj.jpg

016_zpspti6nyco.jpg

She now has primer and a coat of rattle can grey ready for the really fun bit!

The Maus' have their pain on and the landkreuzer has its preshade finalised.

The ambush scheme was supposed to be a two colour airbrush job like the maus on the left of the pics but after 4 goes that failed miserably I gave up - resprayed with rattle can Tamiya dark yellow and manually added the ambush scheme.

002_zpsxkh9fqqz.jpg

006_zps9gonzcfe.jpg

008_zpslfvft46h.jpg

so far so good

• Like 3

Righto lads, we have paint on the beast. I eventually decided on a splinter like scheme. Upon reflection should have looked at some of the Kreigsmarine schemes. That's OK as I have a couple more in the stash :)

001_zpsdww2mzyy.jpg

005_zps8aqaf9ba.jpg

004_zpsnl4rzoxj.jpg

002_zpspfzmv42i.jpg

003_zpsikagpwul.jpg

Next up sealing decaling and then let the fun commence......weathering the beast.

• Like 3

That is great work on the Ratte! I just wish they did it in 1/72nd scale - I'd be tempted to buy it. What beautiful target practice for Tu-2 bombers that would have been!

Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang

Hello Lads, The chipping was done with a fine brush applying lighter shades of paint in random marks and scratches. The lightest sky colour was chipped with a combination of Tamiya Sky XF21 and White XF2, the lightest green, Gunze H303 Green (FS34102) and the darker green Gunze H312 (FS34227). The Maus' were chipped in Tamiya XF57 buff. a cocktail stick with a pointy end will do just as good. Made up an oils pallet on some cardboard. some are MiG Abteilung 502. - Buff, olive green, shadow brown and brown wash. The rest are Art Spectrum (a local aussie brand) - burnt umber, lemon yellow, Australian grey, Australian yellow green, Naples yellow, yellow ochre, raw umber and spectrum light green.

Apologies for the poor pic but you get the idea icon_rolleyes.gif

oil dot application - small dots of these colours are dotted all over the panel(s) and a damp (white spirit) flat brush is dragged down in the direction of gravity. There are some good tutorials on the net.
This is a good example of the technique.

http://cs.finescale.com/fsm/modeling_su ... ageIndex=1

The completed results with some added rusting using 3 shades of brown oils in increasing darkness

001_zpsr1c9ppo8.jpg

004_zpsxlfwhbs4.jpg

005_zpspvg0qdyh.jpg

006_zpsxkldzcha.jpg

007_zpshgtnxy9m.jpg

008_zpsfcd9ozt9.jpg

009_zpsyzfpbpvm.jpg

010_zpskrevgt3h.jpg

I have done some more oil work on the bottom of the skirt but have not got pics of it yet.

Happy modelling

Ian

This will probably be the last update prior to posing in the ready for inspection section. Some pigments for dust dirt etc... not finished but well on the way then its the railings and she will be done.

005_zpsckigkb6s.jpg

006_zpsx9tvaofh.jpg

007_zpsef11cika.jpg

008_zpsobdqwgdt.jpg

Happy modelling all

Ian

That thing is HUGE... imagine a real one... you could shout insults at your enemies from the ramparts... it's *that* big

"your grandmother smelled of elderberries!"