172flogger

1/72 Grumman F-14D Tomcat by Fine Molds / Model Graphix:

source:

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=283330

http://www.modelkasten.com/magazine/mg/187470366.html

http://www.modelkasten.com/magazine/mg/f14tomcat.html

a new tool Tomcat by Fine Molds?

over 200 parts divided into the 3 magazine issues

about 2000 jpy per issue? (standard Model Graphic price is about 800 JPY)

mg1505-p4.jpg

mg1505p4.jpg

• Like 3

Now this sounds very interesting ! Pity that I'm not in Japan and the 3 issues would be expensive, but a new mould Tomcat from a company with Fine Molds reputation would be something I'd like to buy regardless of price !

I really hope that the kit will be on regular sale at a later date

• Like 1

Well...

This is going to be just like the Finemoulds/Modelgraphix Mitsubishi Zeros - ABSOLUTELY STUNNING!!! In all honesty, it will be well worth the total cost, as the packaging, kit and magazine included are superb. I do remember that if you wanted a kit box for the sprues (for whatever reason), you had to cut it out of the magazine!!!

Think of this as a 1/72 Wing Nut Wings kit of sorts... No exaggeration, I can't believe the details.

• Like 1

Now this sounds very interesting ! Pity that I'm not in Japan and the 3 issues would be expensive, but a new mould Tomcat from a company with Fine Molds reputation would be something I'd like to buy regardless of price !

I really hope that the kit will be on regular sale at a later date

Going from the previous Mistubishi Zero collaboration, there is almost no chance that this kit will be sold as a 'regular' release sadly. The concept of the Finemoulds/Model Graphix combo was to produce the best possible 1/72 kit package at a fairly reasonable price, this collaboration was deemed as the most economical way of doing it...

Maybe if Finemoulds ditched Model Graphix and made their own box and instructions, the price may come down a great deal!!! :D. Seriously though, kudos to both groups, it's one of those 'Bugatti Veyron' moments that practically all major manufacturers won't do these days. The only real downside is that the superb magazine is pretty much all in Japanese...

Anyway, to give everyone a taster of what's coming, I've managed to find a review of the Finemoulds/Model Graphix Mitsubishi Zero. Brings back memories!

I think the only real 'let down' with this up and coming F-14D will be the rather predictable VF-2 or VF-31 CAG decals... :rolleyes:

Enjoy the review!

Ok, if the only way to get one is to buy the magazine, then I guess that the only option is to buy this through HLJ or similar. At this point, I may be tempted to do it regardless of the overall cost of the thing. I've not seen this on sale yet though.

And I agree, an A would have been more interesting in terms of markings.. still, I'd be happy enough with a D

OK, what part of HLJ's Facebook is this wonder featured on? All I can find (clicking on their site's 'F' button) is a load of Movie/Manga/Mecha stuff!

Voila: https://www.facebook.com/HobbyLinkJapan

Hi. I found it on japanese HLJ page HobbylinkJP:

https://www.facebook.com/hobbylinkjp

link to the photo: https://www.facebook.com/hobbylinkjp/photos/pcb.441916275970828/441916072637515/?type=1&theater

now we must check twitter accounts of HLJ, Fine Molds and Model Graphix too.

Edited by 172flogger
  • Like 1

Hi. I found it on japanese HLJ page HobbylinkJP:

https://www.facebook.com/hobbylinkjp

link to the photo: https://www.facebook.com/hobbylinkjp/photos/pcb.441916275970828/441916072637515/?type=1&theater

now we must check twitter accounts of HLJ, Fine Molds and Model Graphix too.

Thanks for that, you're a star!

I can't imagine why I thought that HLJ would have just one FB presence (albeit in different languages) -that would make no sense at all, would it?!!!

:banghead: x 1010

*EDIT*: Dunno how this works -they appear to have 'low stock' of this issue of the magazine (May 2015) for JPY743; not a word about the F-14 bit. Just on my way to Japan, Dear, with a present for Mr Hards...

fawlty_gnome.jpg

Edited by AngstROM
  • Like 1

This is to be taken with a grain of salt, but I think the May issue does not have a kit part in it.... its just an announcement. One of the pages shows that kit parts are in August and September issues, which leads me to believe the first month will be July.

Edit, never mind, just read the other pages.

Edited by -Neu-

Okay... so...

To get this we'll have to buy each issue of the magazine as it comes out. Or wait until after it's all gone and hit up eBay for it all in one bang. And at some point there'll be eBay sellers listing just the kit with no magazine included.

Alright... sounds like HLJ is gonna get more business straight away then.

That said, why?

What advantage does this kit offer over the Hasegawa and Tamiya kits of the same bird? Yes, it's FineMolds. And they do great stuff. But is this great stuff great enough to warrant its purchase?

I put it this way on ARC. I've built the Fujimi and Hasegawa F-14s... and they were great kits. I have another Hasegawa F-14D in the stash. However, I also built a fine molds A6M2, as well as the Tamiya and Hasegawa versions:

8E08_zps0096223a.jpg

Hands down the FM kit was the best of the set. Actually the Fine Molds kit, in my mind, is the best kit ever made... that is impressive given it came out two years before the Tamiya A6M2, which I consider the second best kit. The Cockpit detail was superior (unbelievable amount of detail), it had several nicer details (folding wingtips, separate flaps, cowlings flaps, engine frame, surface parts) It was so well done.

7U06_zpsf6a5bf03.jpg

So do I think the FM F-14 will be worth the 3000 yen I'm probably going to spend for each of them? Absolutely. You will also need the magazines: they have the instructions in them, and they are chock full of really useful information. I probably pulled out a half dozen really useful techniques I still use today.

Going from the previous Mistubishi Zero collaboration, there is almost no chance that this kit will be sold as a 'regular' release sadly. The concept of the Finemoulds/Model Graphix combo was to produce the best possible 1/72 kit package at a fairly reasonable price, this collaboration was deemed as the most economical way of doing it...

Maybe if Finemoulds ditched Model Graphix and made their own box and instructions, the price may come down a great deal!!! :D. Seriously though, kudos to both groups, it's one of those 'Bugatti Veyron' moments that practically all major manufacturers won't do these days. The only real downside is that the superb magazine is pretty much all in Japanese...

They made the opposite determination. There is someone on ARC that is in direct contact with FM. They thought that given their current distribution network they would sell fewer Zeroes and with a much higher cost if they did regular boxing. As you noted, going through Model Graphix mean they are guaranteed a much larger number of sales, and they share the tooling investment costs.

Edited by -Neu-
  • Like 2

Okay... so...

To get this we'll have to buy each issue of the magazine as it comes out. Or wait until after it's all gone and hit up eBay for it all in one bang. And at some point there'll be eBay sellers listing just the kit with no magazine included.

Alright... sounds like HLJ is gonna get more business straight away then.

That said, why?

What advantage does this kit offer over the Hasegawa and Tamiya kits of the same bird? Yes, it's FineMolds. And they do great stuff. But is this great stuff great enough to warrant its purchase?

Neu already explained very well how the FM Zero was a masterpiece, and we all believe that this Tomcat will be of the same quality.

Now speaking of advantages versus the existing kits, first of all let's remove Tamiya from the equation, as the 1/72 Tamiya Tomcat is just the old Italeri kit with raised panel lines and not great shapes.

The Hasegawa kit is still a brilliant kit and it's hard to believe that it's now 27 year old since many companies even today can't seem to achieve the same level. At the same time even this kit is not perfect and lacks detail in some areas like the wheel wells and the exhausts. There is also no provision for the various bays that FM seems to have moulded in this new kit

Of course this is nitpicking and I'm sure that I could get something even better than the FM kit with a second hand Hasegawa kit and a few Aires sets while spending less money. This would however involve plenty of cutting and fettling, something that I'm sure will not be required with the new kit.

As a Tomcat aficionado I should also add that for someone sharing my passion this would the chance of buying what may well be the very best 1/72 Tomcat kit ever made. It will be expensive, I know ! Deliveries from Japan are not cheap and I'll likely have to pay VAT on each delivery, I believe that if the issues cost 2000 yen each overall cost may be in the region of £ 80, something that I've never ever spent on any kit. If the issues are 3000 yen each then this is gonna be even more expensive. But as it sounds this will be a unique chance, it's a take or leave situation so I'll take. And the last comment means that FM are doing right in their marketing department.. :lol:

The problem with eBay (as usual) is that folks tend to want to make an absolute fortune, even out of an incomplete set, just the sprues without the magazine or even boxes... Usually an equivalent of £25-£40 just for the sprues, get off your rocker Doris!!! Better off just buying the complete issues as new.

Anyway, I'm sure that at least an F-14B will follow, as various variants of the Zero (and other WWII Japanese kits) were released with other magazine collaborations. I did note that although you get the radar, avionics bays, IFR probe bay, gun/ammo bay and engine bay, the slats and flaps appear to be moulded retracted!!! Maybe they can be cut an positioned? Not a big deal anyway

I'm in the same mindset as Giorgio, I like the F-14 and this will be too good an opportunity to pass up. We all tend to pile money into the subjects we love... Inevitably, as good as this kit will be, I can see it getting a walloping for A. its price and B. it contains no weapons... :shutup:

Whatever happened to that mystical 1/48 Tamiya F-14... :winkgrin:

Ok this could turn out expensive.

I have emailed HLJ and there is going to be a special order for this, to be able to get all 3 issues.

Robert

• Like 2

I have emailed HLJ and there is going to be a special order for this, to be able to get all 3 issues.

Robert

Well, you did better than me -can't get 'em to respond to email or Fbook messages. Did they give any idea HOW you actually order these things? There's nothing about them on the website...

Robert

In my country i need 3 separate issues. Each package must be under the 22 EUR/2900JPY limit.... :weep:

Please, keep us posted on the "special order 3 in 1" issue.

Receiving even the slightest bigger-than-a-postcard item from outside the EU has [mostly] turned into an "guilty upon proven innocent" affair with the customs authorities of this dear country of mine lately... I hate thinking of having to go three times to the post/ customs office :S

P.S.: I absolutely love the inclusion of a positionable refueling probe!!! :wub:

Yes, I got so excited on reading the news about this new release that I couldn't resist and sent a message on the availability of the magazines to HLJ myself. The quickest and nicest reply came back just a moment ago:

Dear Nicolae,

Thank you for writing.

We are afraid we do not plan to sell those three issues as a set. However, we offer the service called Private warehouse, and you can keep your merchandise in the private warehouse for up to 60 days. So you may not be able to include the last issue, but at least the two issues can be sent in one shipment.

We are sorry for the inconvenience, but your understanding is appreciated.

Best Regards,

Kunihiko Matsugu
HobbyLink Japan

So, perhaps get the first issue delivered alone and then get the final two together...!? Although, depending on appearance dates, theoretically one could squeeze in three issues in 60 days (first issue DAY 1, second issue DAY 31, third issue DAY... 60 :P:) ).

Ok, enough smart@**, now it's on to the Treasury to get the budget approved :D

• Like 1

Available to order from HLJ now, but as 3 separate orders.

http://www.hlj.com/scripts/hljlist?ItemGroup=MDGMAGF14

Robert

IT WORKS!!! Much obliged, Robert: :goodjob:

Yes, I got so excited on reading the news about this new release that I couldn't resist and sent a message on the availability of the magazines to HLJ myself. The quickest and nicest reply came back just a moment ago:

So, perhaps get the first issue delivered alone and then get the final two together...!? Although, depending on appearance dates, theoretically one could squeeze in three issues in 60 days (first issue DAY 1, second issue DAY 31, third issue DAY... 60 :P:) ).

Ok, enough smart@**, now it's on to the Treasury to get the budget approved :D

Sounds like a plan...and at £11-ish + shipping, not as painful as it could be...many thanks for quoting this, I haven't used HLJ's Private facility before, so it's an adventure!!!

(And if it all goes South, I have many more garden ornaments at my disposal...!)