Bandai 48th scale AT-ST (alt camo scheme)

OK, on with the rest of the camo paint. Not too sure of the pattern at the moment, so lightly brush painting a pattern outline to try and figure out how I want it, then mask with blu-tack and fill with airbrush

20170515_070936.jpg

20170515_070948.jpg

20170515_101213.jpg

20170515_101226.jpg

20170515_101236.jpg

I know it looks a bit rough at the moment, but having finished the engine section? (seen top right in photos) I have a pretty good idea of what the finished product will look like. I will now brush paint to finish off the dark drown, then work out where I'm going to put the caramel colour.

Edited by Gekko_1
  • Like 6

That is some top-notch work, Gekko ^-^

I've had my own AT-ST since Christmas, and cracked open the box last night. The entire thing is more or less assembled into its main components (amazingly about 5 hours of work in total, maybe not even that) and ready for painting, just need my replacement airbrush to arrive first (whenever that may be ><).

Been mulling over paintjobs for it and kept considering a Special Forces one with the red stripe, but seeing this camo one has me wondering about a forest scheme now, lol :P

Gaz

• Like 1

15 hours ago, GazB said:

That is some top-notch work, Gekko ^-^

I've had my own AT-ST since Christmas, and cracked open the box last night. The entire thing is more or less assembled into its main components (amazingly about 5 hours of work in total, maybe not even that) and ready for painting, just need my replacement airbrush to arrive first (whenever that may be ><).

Been mulling over paintjobs for it and kept considering a Special Forces one with the red stripe, but seeing this camo one has me wondering about a forest scheme now, lol :P

Gaz

Thanks Gaz, yeah I'm big on camo schemes and camouflage in general and got to put it to good use when I was in Infantry. I'm really against the all grey schemes in the Star Wars universe. I think George Lucas started things off in grey, based on early Nazi tank grey schemes of WWII. But for reasons I guess of simplicity never followed history to the use of camouflage as perfected by the Germans in WWII. The ambush scheme on late war German tanks is I think still to this day one of the most effective schemes ever worn on a tank, only eclipsed by the new Chinese army digital schemes. And the uniform schemes designed by art students are in my opinion the best ever designed.

I don't know weather you're aware or not, but I have a page dedicated to my camouflage experiments for AT-AT and AT-ST's here:

You may find it interesting?

Cheers

Richard.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gekko_1 said:

Thanks Gaz, yeah I'm big on camo schemes and camouflage in general and got to put it to good use when I was in Infantry. I'm really against the all grey schemes in the Star Wars universe. I think George Lucas started things off in grey, based on early Nazi tank grey schemes of WWII. But for reasons I guess of simplicity never followed history to the use of camouflage as perfected by the Germans in WWII. The ambush scheme on late war German tanks is I think still to this day one of the most effective schemes ever worn on a tank, only eclipsed by the new Chinese army digital schemes. And the uniform schemes designed by art students are in my opinion the best ever designed.

I don't know weather you're aware or not, but I have a page dedicated to my camouflage experiments for AT-AT and AT-ST's here:

You may find it interesting?

Cheers

Richard.

I have indeed, Richard, thanks ^-^

I'm mulling over doing this one, or some variation of it :)

AT-ST%2022.jpg

Or this one

AT-ST%207.jpg

But possibly with a grey substituting the sand :)

There was a colour-scheme on some military Micro Machines I had as a kid that was green and black, and it always looked awesome, so I've started experimenting with colour combinations :)

Gaz

• Like 2

Decided to mask out the next bit of the caramel colour with Silly Putty.

20170525_050450.jpg

Colour airbrushed on.

20170525_051617.jpg

What I like about Silly Putty is that once done you can simply peel it off very easily.

20170525_051658.jpg

Although difficult to see in this photo, the top section of the caramel colour was brush painted on. It took ages and isn't as dense in colour saturation as the airbrushed section.

20170525_051844.jpg

Airbrushed section touched-up with a paint brush using the some spare paint from the airbrush mix. Slowly, slowly, but its coming along. Can't wait to get to my favourite bit....... the weathering!

20170525_054354.jpg

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Getting there. Finished the paintbrush touch-ups.

20170612_131552.jpg

20170612_131606.jpg

20170612_131616.jpg

20170612_131638.jpg

Here's the pivot joint thing. I've painted it grey then covered it in Retarder Medium then brushed on various Vallejo Model Wash colours to give it a used oily grungy look. Once dry I may knock the effect back a little with a dusty wash?

20170612_131655.jpg

20170612_131735.jpg

Next is to detail the little bits and pieces.

20170612_132355.jpg

Cheers

Richard.

Edited by Gekko_1
  • Like 6

I'd go with a dusty wash, in that kind of environment it would gravitate to an oily surface and alter the look, wouldn't it? Or at least bits of it.

Love the way this is coming along.

Watching avidly.

Geoff 

• Like 1

On ‎16‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 5:55 AM, Bugle07 said:

I'd go with a dusty wash, in that kind of environment it would gravitate to an oily surface and alter the look, wouldn't it? Or at least bits of it.

Love the way this is coming along.

Watching avidly.

Geoff 

Thanks Geoff, yeah definitely going to have to tone it down with some type of dusty wash. Going to have to experiment a bit as I can't use any enamel based product as it eats the Bandai plastic away.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, a bit of progress. Here is the top of the hatch. Because of the sensitivity of Bandai plastic to enamel thinners/washes etc a new way had to be found to do things like pin washes, shadowing etc. The easiest and most effective way I have found is the combination of Vallejo Retarder Medium 70.597 and a mixture of this product and the Vallejo Model Washes. The method I use is to paint a thin layer of slightly watered down Retarder Medium over the entire surface of the part you are about to weather, then a mixture of Retarder Medium and which ever colour from the Vallejo Model Washes you have chosen. The thickness of this mix will depend on what you are going to use it for. Here I used 76.513 Brown.

20170625_143326.jpg

20170625_143338.jpg

Next I applied a wash using the same colour on all the sides of the turret. So, first I painted the side to be done with a mixture of water and Retarder Medium, then painted the wash over that. Because it dries slowly it gives you time to adjust the look with a brush and the original water/Retarder mix. Hopefully you'll be able to see, where the arrows are, notable areas where this wash was effective.

20170625_143419.jpg

20170625_143442.jpg

Here you can see I've painted NATO black in the, what I'm calling, window seals.

20170625_143431.jpg

Because I'm stupid I forgot to seal in the previous layer on the pivot joint with varnish before applying the dusty wash! So I ended up 'painting' all the previous work off as I was applying the new layer! :wacko: :oops: :wall:

20170625_143455.jpg

Luckily, because everything is acrylic I can wash it off with isopropyl alcohol and start again. :)

20170625_150753.jpg

So if you can imagine the top looking like the bottom you'll get some idea of what this thing is going to look like once finished. Still have to do a wash on the top and bottom, seal that in and coat it in varnish then apply decals, then chip it, then seal all that in before giving it an all over dusty wash which should unite the top and bottom nicely. Also have to re-paint the pivot joint and finish chipping one of the legs. :snail:

20170625_143843.jpg

20170625_143904.jpg

20170625_143855.jpg

...................and finish the packs, jerry cans etc and I'm thinking of modding the Verlinden USN deck crew in some way as crew figures on the top? B)

Edited by Gekko_1
  • Like 5

38 minutes ago, Gekko_1 said:

.and finish the packs, jerry cans etc and I'm thinking of modding the Verlinden USN deck crew in some way as crew figures on the top? B)

Making good progress and it's starting to look quite psychedelic, as an possible alternative to the Verlinden figures Aerobonus produce three resin crew members for Airfix's 1/48 British Army Warrior: Aerobonus Figures

7 hours ago, Richard E said:

Making good progress and it's starting to look quite psychedelic, as an possible alternative to the Verlinden figures Aerobonus produce three resin crew members for Airfix's 1/48 British Army Warrior: Aerobonus Figures

Thanks for that Richard, I didn't even know they existed. They look quite useable!

3 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Simply splendid.

Figures? rope ladder down the side?

How do the crew entry & exit?

Yes exactly Pete! How do they get in/out/up/down on this thing! I know some have suggested that the AT-ST crouches down and the crew mount it from that position. Its "Star Wars" best not over think it, I think? :shrug:

• Like 2

Today I wanted to get some idea of how its going to look once finished. So I loosely placed the external stowage and popped the legs on.

20170628_201725.jpg

20170628_201513.jpg

20170628_201628.jpg

20170628_201554.jpg

Edited by Gekko_1
  • Like 11

I will be going through the laborious and time consuming process of updating my photos on this thread in due coarse.

<pic removed - understand the sentiment, but this is a family friendly forum>

Cheers

Richard.

Edited by Mike
removing offensive meme
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys. Managed to move on to the decals. I wasn't 100% sure exactly what I was going to do and basically made it up as I went. :hmmm: I ended up using some Imperial logos from the kit, some decals from a couple of generic Gundam sets and the chevrons and triangles from two different Verlinden rub down Israeli vehicle sets. The rub down decals scratched up very well.

20170718_054150.jpg

20170718_054140_1.jpg

20170718_05440422.jpg

Next is to seal the decals in with semi gloss varnish. Then an acrylic pin wash.

Edited by Gekko_1
  • Like 8