Duxford Land Warfare Hall

bentwaters81tfw

Speaking to an ex Duxford guy tonight. Apparently the new management want to concentrate on British/Allied aircraft on the site. It appears the contents of the LWH are up for disposal. Other large collections have been contacted. I have no more info at present.

Looks like they want to go 'touchy feely' like Lambeth. Can't have any nasty things that go bang.

Blimey, if that's true they've an awful lot of kit to dispose of. It will be a shame as there are some very interesting vehicles, homegrown and foreign.

Can't see that happening, though I had heard this rumor about 4 years ago & I'm sure it is simply a rumor.

I would have thought the site and collection were as important in there own right as the main IWM aviation collection as a whole, on the Duxford site.

Just can't see that happening myself.

They have already got rid of the Jagtpanther and the X-Craft. If you notice, the Draken, Junkers 52/3m and the F-105 have been rehomed, as has the Super Mystere. The MiL 24 Hind was missing last time I visited too.The only German airframe to remain is the shot down Bf-109E in the Battle of Britain hangar.

If it wasn't for the American Air museum being US funded, they would shift the US stuff as well. The 'management' team (with no military background) want to promote 'Britishness'.

If it wasn't for the American Air museum being US funded, they would shift the US stuff as well. The 'management' team (with no military background) want to promote 'Britishness'.

I can understand that, and part of me wants to applaud them for it.

On the other hand, there are some significant non-British exhibits which they ought to hang on to really. With the RAF museums and the FAAM we have large British collections, albeit with a few extras, so perhaps the IWM should take a more 'global' view of the subject.

Thats easy - just have a high entry feel, poor facilities, and make people queue for no apparent reason :)

Jonners, cor blimey luvva duck, me old sparra