Giemme - I don't know how PC came up with that so fast, he must have been thinking about whelks , and how even they need nurturing despite their hard shells. The 'official' CAWTS is a tongue in cheek 'organization' that is trying to avoid confusion about how to pronounce the word 'decal'. Thanks for the tips about Tamiya paint. I used their X-20, which I gather is pretty much the same thing as your IPA recipe, but with some retarder as well (and like 10 times the price). I find them a bit difficult to paint just because I think I'm doing a terrible job when they're going on, only to have it turn out just fine after they cure for a few minutes. The Ocean grey went a lot better than the MSG, so maybe I'm starting to get the hang of them. I think I'll try Lifecolor on my Day Fighter Scheme Spitfire IX also currently on the bench.

PC and Ced - I'm not an official member of CAWTS, but have a deep respect of their beliefs.

Looking forward to your Typhoon Rob!

• Like 4

Giemme - I don't know how PC came up with that so fast, he must have been thinking about whelks , and how even they need nurturing despite their hard shells.

:rofl:

The 'official' CAWTS is a tongue in cheek 'organization' that is trying to avoid confusion about how to pronounce the word 'decal'.

You know, in Italian they're called "decalcomania" (singular) / "decalcomanie" (plural). You guys try pronouncing that ... :devil:

... just kidding, or feeding the CAWTS with more to discuss about ... :whistle:

I used their X-20, which I gather is pretty much the same thing as your IPA recipe, but with some retarder as well (and like 10 times the price)...

Make it 20... :banghead::badmood:

Looking forward to your next steps, now in half an hour it's my turn, back onto my Spitfire build ... :yahoo:

Ciao

• Like 2

Cookie - I know that you know I am not half way qualified to comment on your builds - I can only claim to be within an hour of your time zone.

Love what I see - a perfect NMF finish is a dream of mine for a DC-4 or DC- 7, but what I am seeing here, puts you, oh I don't know, a good twenty years ahead of me. ( I'll be as good as you are now when I have been dead for 30 years ).

Incredible stuff!

• Like 1

I don't know about all that Mike, your airliner builds match Stew Dapple for pure cleanliness - just an everything in its right place-ness that I aspire to.

I'm very impressed with the Uschi pigments and would encourage you to give them a whirl. You may find yourself twenty years in the future pretty quickly! Their main problem is that they don't come in 'aluminum', but 'chrome', 'steel', and 'iron'. The chrome is the lightest, but is still really too dark, even when applied to a white or light grey surface (the surface color makes a big difference to the final metallic color). You can really see the green hue shining through the portions with the Light Aircraft grey base. I should have gone with a more 'neutral' light grey or even a gloss white, but I was afraid of getting a smooth enough gloss finish with white paint.

I've got a hold of some Alclad and AK Xtreme metal (is it sponsored by Mountain Dew?) and want to give them a try in anticipation for a B-24H build in the future. I'll choose my favorite of the three to use for it. I like how the Uschi turned out, but it may be a chore for a larger model (like a DC-4). That being said, a little goes a long ways compared to tins of paint.

Cookenbacher,

:wow: The Hybrid Horses with its natural metal finish is ONE OF THE BEST I have seen and it looks

EXQUISITE. :yikes::thumbsup::heart::heart:

The build is coming along very nicely with beautiful work...The pilots look great too !

you have set the standards for Hybrid builds... Jolly SPLENDID .. :Tasty::clap::worthy::worthy:

HOUSTON {who is still giggling at the humorous posts about WHELKS ...what is a whelk? }{ ELKS with wheels ?} :shrug::pardon:

• Like 3

Whelks - yuk. If you judge our fellow creatures on either 'how they look' or 'how they taste' (or both) I'm afraid Whelks come pretty (ugly?) far down the list.

The BBC food website says "Whelks are saltwater molluscs with grey or brownish shells and resemble pointy snails." but is at a loss to find anything to do with them, other than put them with something that has a strong taste.

Elk with wheels, funny :rofl:

• Like 4

These are looking great mate, I've got a Malcolm hood Mustang in the stash and it's making we want to dig it out!

How shiny are you looking to finish it? If you intend to dull it down a bit, applying some dark pastel (soft pastel - the chalky ones) around some of the panel lines is a great way to weather NMF. I tend to rub it in with a short small brush then brush the excess off with a bigger brush in the direction of the airflow. A touch more varnish can then be used to seal it in. Tamiya flat clear works well for this because it takes a while to create a matt finish, so you can control how 'matt' you want to get it.

Love the way you've done the NMF, I'm taking notes as I really struggled with the recent Washington.

Cheers

Neil

• Like 1

Thanks so much for the advice on pastels Neil. I've only just started using them and was wondering how they would work on an NMF. I'll definitely give them a go.

Your NMF Washington (link for the three people on BM that haven't seen it yet) is awesome by the way - the feathered prop and oily engine nacelle are icing on the cake.

• Like 1

Thank everybody!

PC - I mainly used drafting tape for the camo. It was a recommendation from Tom Hall in the P-40 STGB, and it works great; a little less stretchy and tacky than hardware store masking tape. I also invested in 0.5, 1, 4 and 5 mm Jammy Dog masking tape (I already had 2 and 3 mm tape, and 6 mm is the standard Tamiya tape width). I used the 5 mm Jammy Dog tape for the wing stripes, and 4 mm for the fuselage stripes. In retrospect, the outer white stripes on the wings should have each been a mm or two wider than the inner strips according to references, but I didn't realize it until it was too late.

Thanks Ced and Giemme - I do like replacing transfers (CAWTS!) with paint whenever my skills allow. Eventually, it would be great to be able to do roundels and squadron markings with masks as I've seen a few Britmodeller's do with wonderful results. That being said, the invasion stripes still need some Giemme approved de-saturation, they're still too stark.

• Like 4

Cookie you must be chuffed with that?? It looks brilliant. I will be interested to see how you weather with the pastels, I have started using these with mixed results... All me not the medium

Rob

Edited by rob85
  • Like 1