Academy 1/72 Boeing B-29 Washington

I think they may have had a diagonal white line running from the top left to bottom right hand corner as viewed when the doors were open - I think there was an artwork in an old edition of Scale Aircraft Modelling, if you want I'll try to have a look at my old copies that are stored in the loft. (Far too much domestic detail!)

Hi Richard,

That would be great if you can find anything out :)

Just had the nose wheel collapse on the weak joint where the jockey section connects so it was pinned with brass rod. Hopefully that should do the trick.

The article I was thinking of was in the July 1992 edition of SAM.

In as much as you can trust artworks rather than pictures Mike Keep has illustrated 90 Squadron's WF443 WP-A in an overall silver finish with single colour red nose wheel doors, however he has also drawn WF498 WP-B as you have modelled it referring to "black undersurfaces" and making no reference to the wheel doors being a different colour.

My memory had faded slightly after almost 23 years: one of the schemes adopted by 44 Squadron was the blue and white diagonal design I was thinking of.

Hope this helps although I fear it has just muddied the waters slightly.....

Looks just fantastic, Woody!

Say, did you see the write up over on Hyperscale about the new B-29 Antennae set from Brengun? Thought it might be relevant.

david

Looking good Neil,

I was under the impression that the coloured nose wheel doors were brought in when sqn code letters were dropped,....but I`d be very happy for somebody to prove otherwise on this issue.

Keep up the great work,

Tony

Edit- Neil,....isn`t the door colour info that you need on that reference stuff that I sent to you?

Hi Tony,

As discussed, I'm going to change them to black as per a photo of a black bellied nose, whilst in B&W, it does appear to be black.

The article I was thinking of was in the July 1992 edition of SAM.

In as much as you can trust artworks rather than pictures Mike Keep has illustrated 90 Squadron's WF443 WP-A in an overall silver finish with single colour red nose wheel doors, however he has also drawn WF498 WP-B as you have modelled it referring to "black undersurfaces" and making no reference to the wheel doors being a different colour.

My memory had faded slightly after almost 23 years: one of the schemes adopted by 44 Squadron was the blue and white diagonal design I was thinking of.

Hope this helps although I fear it has just muddied the waters slightly.....

Hi Richard, I'm going to change it, suspect that Tony is right, with a rather large 'B' on the tail, the coloued gear doors would be pretty pointless!

Thanks

Looks just fantastic, Woody!

Say, did you see the write up over on Hyperscale about the new B-29 Antennae set from Brengun? Thought it might be relevant.

david

I didn't Dave unfortunately. The Eduard kit had some included but the antenna on the nose looks oversize in the set, so I used kit parts and made the fuselage ones from brass rod.

Got a few pictures taken earlier with the props dry fitted...

45_zpsn75ndp4v.jpg

47_zpszhqx0ko0.jpg

46_zpsiqypfncq.jpg

• Like 15

Only a few bits now. Unfortunately I gave the decal sheet away for forgot I would need prop logo's so I'll have to pinch some from something else.

Managed to put some oil staining on the No.3 using Tamiya Smoke. Should have it in the FRI in the next few days.

48_zps2aa8u3ni.jpg

49_zps9flrlbxi.jpg

50_zps87v2xyf3.jpg

• Like 29

As others have already said: this is a really beautiful build! Your attention to detail is amazing. Really impressive stuff! Well done.

• Like 1

That oil leaking engine is fantastic. You'll need a little drip tray under it when you put it on a shelf. It looks so real I'd swear it will drip real oil!

Cheers

John

• Like 1

Looking really good Neil ...not going to be a lot of room on the table every time this one appears ! (fills another big gap in the BC display)..

Sounds like it's given you a run for your money but it looks as if you've won through.....look forward to seeing it

• Like 1

Cheers guys. True Andy, this fills quite a space for a 1/72 aircraft. Just as well we never purchased the B-36!

Kev, room permitting it will be there as long as there is a gap amongst the Stirlings!

Just been putting a final few details on, may get the finished pictures tomorrow.

• Like 1

Managed to put some oil staining on the No.3 using Tamiya Smoke. Should have it in the FRI in the next few days.

Beautifully judged Neil. I'm a big fan of the way you weather your aircraft and this one is no exception :)

• Like 1

Staining looks good Neil, how you get that effect?

Hi Ray,

Predominantly Tamiya smoke on a fine brush but with an overlay of pastel to exaggerate the effects.

It's now in RFI making way for the Stirling on the production line!

Really appreciate everyone's contributions along the way :)

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

That set would of done rather nicely, the hollowed out exhausts (2 per side which I wasn't aware of, the kit only has one moulded). What is missing compared to the set I used though is the gills (unless they're included but not visible), these improve the engines a lot in my opinion. Thanks for posting :)

• 2 years later...

Hi Woody, I saw this fantastic build just before the photobucket debacle happened and it was one of the posts which inspired me to build my own nmf b-29. I know it's a massive pain but do you have any plans to reupload the pics or is there another link i could go to to see them? Thanks! Sam

3 hours ago, SaminCam said:

is there another link i could go to to see them? Thanks! Sam

I've copied the pertinent build portions of this thread to a Word file. If Woody's okay with it, I could send it to you. It's 41Mb, can send it to you via WeTransfer.

Sven

• Thanks 1