Academy 1/72 Boeing B-29 Washington

Now that is looking very impressive Neil!! Lovely progress. I too would be interested to see something alongside to give a sense of the size.

Kind regards,

Stix

Coming on nicely Neil, it'll fill a nice gap on the table, (well a good size one at any rate, the way we are going we are going to end up with only four or five models per table)).

Great to catch up on Sunday and thanks for the lend of the Halifax book, very useful...so much so that I've ordered one from our Amazonian friends for the princely sum of £11, I'll get yours back to you asap....sorry for the interruption, back to the Washingfortress !

Yes mate, great to catch up, was a rather busy day though, kept missing people! £11, now that is a bargain you lucky blighter! Still managed to spend loads there despite not buying a single kit, how does this happen?

Well, got the silver on now. It's taken a few goes, I tried some Airframe Aluminium Alclad, but in places, it looked like primer was showing through, but that wasn't the case. in the end, used predominantly Alclad duraluminium and polished aluminium with the spar section done in Valejo Chain Mail. It's had some Kleer applied to protect it whilst masking to get the black painted.

26_zpswuecwkgz.jpg

27_zpsyaz6lxhy.jpg

• Like 10

You too mate, if there's any problems with them, let me know, I've got others available.

Tony, the difference in tone on the centre section hasn't come out that well because it's all sitting under a coat of Kleer at the moment. My plan at a later stage is to apply more matt varnish to that area and do some jiggery pokery with the pastels too to emphasise the difference. Hopefully it will come out OK later....fingers crossed!

Cheers

Neil

Well, bloody annoyed tonight. I bought the Extra decal X72065 set that advertises 48" letters used for the serials. I've just inspected the sheet and I find that the only letters included in 48" are W,D,H,J,K,X,M,I ...WTF?

Every other size has the full alphabet. Considering I'm planning to use the letters L,S,B, the sheet is pretty darn useless. This should be made clear on the product. A complaint to Hannants will be made.

Sounds like you've got a reprint of the old Modeldecal sheet which was optimized for Canberras, and which will be the wrong style for your Washington, being rounded rather than square. Can't think just now of an alternative source for the letters you need, sorry.

I've emailed Hannants as there is a Colorado sheet that has a full 48" alphabet. Looking at the tail ones on photographs, they are slightly smaller. The tail letter looks rounded, but the fuselage serial codes do look square as you say.

Cheers

Hiya Neil,

No worries about the centre section,.....I thought that you`d have it covered anyway, I just thought that I`d mention it in the unlikely case that you hadn`t

Most of the Colorado decals that I have are rounded,.....however have you tried Fantasy Printshop? They have some very good British (RAF/FAA) serial/code sheets and they have rounded or squared off styles too,.....you just need to have a look at the sheet first before ordering.

Failing that, Kits at War did a sheet with Washington`s on it (K4-19 "RAF Postwar Bomber Command )and it had one of the 15 Sqn black bellied aircraft,....it might be pretty rare now but it might be worth a go? Maybe some kind BM`er could spare you the Washington decals as it also included Canberra`s and a Lincoln?

Cheers

Tony

Edit; This bloke did have a sheet for sale, but it was 2011;

http://www.network54.com/Search/view/409167/1306716474/Kits+and+decals+for+sale?term=103&page=7929

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 1

Wow woody, this has moved along.

Love your cockpit paint work it makes so much detail stand out, as you said turnerdad's spitfire is a brilliant example of the method... But so is yours.

Good to see her buttoned up and a few coats on. She is a bit of a beast!

Look forward to your progress

Rob

Edited by rob85
  • Like 1

Hiya Neil,

No worries about the centre section,.....I thought that you`d have it covered anyway, I just thought that I`d mention it in the unlikely case that you hadn`t

Most of the Colorado decals that I have are rounded,.....however have you tried Fantasy Printshop? They have some very good British (RAF/FAA) serial/code sheets and they have rounded or squared off styles too,.....you just need to have a look at the sheet first before ordering.

Failing that, Kits at War did a sheet with Washington`s on it (K4-19 "RAF Postwar Bomber Command )and it had one of the 15 Sqn black bellied aircraft,....it might be pretty rare now but it might be worth a go? Maybe some kind BM`er could spare you the Washington decals as it also included Canberra`s and a Lincoln?

Cheers

Tony

Edit; This bloke did have a sheet for sale, but it was 2011;

http://www.network54.com/Search/view/409167/1306716474/Kits+and+decals+for+sale?term=103&page=7929

Thanks Tony, more research is needed this weekend then. A back up plan I have is painting some red letters black! It wouldn't be the first time I've done this method but tends to work better with enamels due to the slower drying time.

Wonderful job, just one problem... I'm not sure if the superfort you're building has the air to air refuelling equipment fitted but I notice you've left it in. I thought it was only applicable to B-50's but I'm not sure, sorry!

Off to see 'Over Exposed' (second attempt) today, and wishing I'd noticed before you painted it, WV908

Who, what where?

Are these the panels behind the cockpit at the top?

If so, I'm sure some light filling will sort those things out.

Thanks for pointing it out :)

Those are the ones matey,.....I noticed them last night but was worried whether to mention them or not! Check your e mail for some interesting news!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

Brilliant,...........fantastic paintwork again mate, you are the king of painting something black but making it look interesting!!! I agree with Ced, you`ve done a great job masking that black off, you`ve got the wavy pattern for LS-B spot on. Isn`t it strange how LS-A has much tighter waves when you look closely?

Cheers

Tony