Academy 1/72 Boeing B-29 Washington

Thanks for the responses guys. I'm away with work at the moment so got limited contact. Paul, thanks for the comprehensive response. Quite like the idea of one with black undersides to break it up a bit

Selwyn, thanks for that, I may take you up on the offer, need to look at the schemes paul has mentioned when I'm back home :)

Thanks

Neil

Selwyn

whats the chance of a scan of the instructions with that sheet

Paul

No problem, but they are very simple black and white but informative. Send me a personal message with your e mail address and I will get the scan to you.

Selwyn.

Done some work this afternoon on the beast. Started work on those flaps and detailing the uc bays. Quite happy with the first flap!

Also boxed the flap area in on the wings, detail will follow.

3_zps3cpze7ui.jpg

4_zpsuurjkgsb.jpg

5_zpswp5lw101.jpg

And got the fins added on another nacelle. These are slightly better fitted, all part of the learning experience.

6_zpsbbswpfkp.jpg

Need to look at the decal options too, so I'll do that this weekend :)

• Like 10

While the B-29 in either USAF or RAF service is outwith my usual sphere of interest the fact you're working on a model of it means I'll be paying attention to this one Neil. Nice work on those flap parts so far.

• Like 1

Early days yet Neil but you are already stamping your mark on this one, I`ll be following with great interest.

Is it going to be a bomber for the Bomber Command SIG or are you considering something else like the ELINT Washington`s with arctic red panels on the tail and wings?

There was a copy of SAM from years back which listed all of the different colours for the Washington squadron nose wheel doors,....have you seen it?

Cheers

Tony

Hi Tony,

Yes it will be Bomber Command. I haven't seen that SAM Tony, do you have any pictures? There's little about ont internet from what I can find :(

Got both flaps finished this evening and put the ribs in underneath one wing, the other to do. Some quite repetitive and tedious tasks, but it hasn't took me as long as I thought it would.

Cheers

Looking good Neil.... I've got a set of Paragon Flaps for a B-50 somewhere... if you need any photos of them just ask.

On the underside, there is millions of braces/ribs.. are you going to do them all?

Nearly done mate. They ribs have a rounded profile which was stumping me a bit to replicate. In the end I added little fillets then overlayed them with thin strips to 'round' them off a bit. Here's the finished wing except for a bit of a tidy up required:

9_zpsrtui0irx.jpg

8_zpstqzeer4k.jpg

And the wing in progress showing the bits used to make the ribs. They're a bit rough and ready, but in 72 scale I think they'll look OK, particularly as the flap will only be semi-extended so not all will be visible:

10_zpsahyhfnil.jpg

• Like 15

Incredible. As expected. I'm liking the rivet work on the cowls, and the panel detail inside the gear bays is a nice touch. Much more than I would ever dream of putting into my models, but it sure is nice to see it done.

• Like 1

A couple of the guys I knew in the Service served on Washington's, M/Tech Wales on 192 Squadron and Flt/St Newton on XV Squadron. Both told me that the cowling gills were left open for about an hour after flight then closed. No reason given. They also told me that the cowling fasteners suffered in the damp UK air and went rusty very quickly. They didn't change them, just wiped them over with an oily rag.

Newton also told me that XV Squadron also repeated the individual aircraft letter on the upper front surface of the cowlings. He was always very generous with his negatives and often loaned me some whilst we were at Wyton, to make prints for myself, one of which is attached. I also understood from both that the natural metal skins of the Washingtons also corroded to a dull grey colour (Aluminium coated Duralumin (Alclad ?)), and that polishing was only carried out for very special occasions.

I have also seen reference to at least two RAF Washintons, WF547 being one. having the faired upper forward turret as later applied to the B-50.

HwW2Q7Y.jpg

Dennis

• Like 4

Wasn't there a build article on this aircraft in Airfix Magazine sometime in the last year or maybe slightly longer?

May 2012 issue. 192 Sqn ELINT aircraft with red tail and wing tips.

Edited by Sten Ekedahl
  • Like 1