Tactical Pod REGULT - Bandai 1:72

Lovely blue Mike, nice to see you doing a bit more on this one. It gives me confidence to know that seemingly abandoned builds are really just simmering under awaiting their moment :)

Will

• Haha 1

Unless I've sat on a model and rendered it to less than its constituent parts, there's always a chance of resurrection.  They just sit there in the meantime silently judging me :unsure:

I put the dark blue on before tea, but it's gone on a bit rough, so I'm going to have a look at it now it has dried a bit.  Not quite sure why it happened yet, but it's a bit ugly as it stands.  Absolutely fixable though, but may need a light sanding... hopefully not. :shrug:

Blue number two has been recovered.  I gave it a light buff with one of the Ultimate buffers I reviewed here, and gave it a thin overcoat of fresh paint.  Seems to have done the trick :)

I've unmasked the head, and I have a tiny bit of damage to repair on the nose, and a few tiny corrections to do on the white/blue demarkation, mostly on the top-knot.  The ones around the face will disappear when I flood that panel line with wash later. 

paint2.jpg

I'll leave the paint to gas off and harden properly overnight (probably longer), fix any little niggles, then give it a clear gloss coat.  Then it's detail painting and decals, wash, another matt clear coat, and some weathering.  Should be plain sailing :pray: I've got an idea to put a piece of aluminium foil behind those leg jewels to make them pop a bit (wish I'd thought to light them TBH), so will experiment with that on the morrow too.  At some point I'll freeze all the joints with liquid glue so that I can mount it on a base, and stop it flopping about like a dead octopus all the time.  It'll also allow me to touch up any joints where the paint hasn't got to, or where movement has scraped it away.

p.s. that pic was taken with the eye light on ^_^

• Like 3

I'm entirely the opposite, as I'm frightened of trying to brush paint anything larger than my little fingernail for fear of making a mess :shrug:

The masking was a chore, but not a huge one, and if I'm honest as long as it's not a resin kit I really don't mind masking - even greenhouse canopies.  It was more important to plan it well, which changed my initial light-to-dark plan to minimise square-footage of tape used.  Better to mask the smaller black parts off that all that turquoise leg! ;)

Cheers ^_^

The decals for the J-22 arrived today from Flying Colors, so I'm going to get back to that for a wee while, and dabble with the paint on this one in between times.

I managed a little detail painting this avo, blacking in some of the lines, vents & such with real black for contrast (I know I said I don't like real black, but how do you get anything darker than Panzer Grey? :shrug:).  I also did some touch-ups where the masking wasn't quite on fleek (how trendy of me!), then covered it in a protective layer of Aqua Gloss, as the two blues seemed a little fragile compared to the grey, and prone to scrapes.  After that was dry I drew along all the panel lines and deeper joins with Ultimate Dark Dirt, then wiped off the excess with a damp cotton bud or piece of kitchen towel.  You can also get it loose with your breath, as there's enough moisture in that to soften the mix.  Just don't do it drunk, or you'll peel the paint ;)

Fresh from my tea I've just had the urge to mock it up finally, as I've not had it anywhere near in one piece since I began painting, and certainly not since 2015 when this all started :blush:  I'm pretty pleased how it's coming along, but need to tidy up some of the wash before I seal that in, and then I need to decide how I'm going to portray it.  Cartoon-like clean, or a bit more real world with signs of wear and dirt.  The last pic was with the eye-light on and the Italian house added for a bit of scale.  The Macross universe is on a similarly large scale as Gundams.  BIG! :shocked:

mockup1.jpg

mockup2.jpg

A clean up tomorrow, and I'll think about immobilising those joints to finalise the pose now that I have the building in hand.  I'm going to shove it in an A4 sized frame, so I'll base it on a sheet of A4 initially :)

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

I'll second that. I thought they were much smaller, being only 1/72nd. 

And that is a 1/76th house? Damn! I may have to get one.

I always did like the look of this thing.

Well, the pilot's 10m tall so...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

You'd better hurry up, as I did a bit of searching on eBay last night, and there don't seem to be many there. :(

6 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Egads!  That thing's huge!  :o

IRL (or In Real Anime) it would be huge, but then isn't everything in anime?  Japan doesn't really do robots that aren't huge, apart from the comedy relief from SBS Yamato's Analyser :shrug: I've got a kit of him knocking about somewhere... for some reason :hmmm:

• Like 1

Well on Amazon there's a Regult for Forty Five pounds!

On the bay about forty pounds, or a hi-metal version at stupid prices.

On the other hand, HLJ have them on backorder for about twelve!

Hmm, what to do.....

It's a bit addictive. I'm not a massive fan of the anime, although I've watched a few, but the hardware is fun to model. The complexity of the more modern kits is a bit daunting, but it can't be impossible :)

• Like 1

On 14/01/2018 at 7:20 AM, Pete in Lincs said:

I'll second that. I thought they were much smaller, being only 1/72nd. 

I always did like the look of this thing.

The pilots of the Regults are a race of giants.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JamesP said:

The pilots of the Regults are a race of giants.

They are aren't they!  I'd forgotten then :doh: It's a long time since I watched any of the Macross stuff...

Decals are on, and they were a bunch of :poop: After putting the first few one and having to re-assemble each one because they'd shattered at the slightest touch, I brush-painted some Klear over each individual decal, which seems to have imbued them with some semblance of strength.  A few more still broke up, but I managed to get them all on with minimal damage, apart from the one central on the nose, and (as we look at it) the yellow cheek decal on the right.  I also snapped the RCS jet pip off the ankle, but that's a 2 second job to fix, so I'm not too worried.  The "antenna" cannons are blu-takked on, the top-knot guns are dropping in place, and I've not yet attached the "whiskers" yet, as I'm giving her a few more coats of gloss to seal those decals in and minimise the carrier film edges (which aren't too bad considering the age of the decals) before I do any weathering. 

decals.jpg

Some of the leg-joints have been immobilised by running liquid glue into them, so she doesn't flop around like she used to, but I think I'll need to immobilise the hinge-point in the "hip" that allows the legs lateral flex, just in case, plus the head as there's quite a bit of weight up there if you include the battery, miniature circuit board and the LED.  I've also got to put those gems on her ankles too.

I've got the base frame sorted, and just need to hot-glue some supports in before I can think about the arrangement of the elements.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Pete in Lincs said:

When I'll get around to doing a build... Well that's a different matter!

They take three years to build Pete! ^_^

• Haha 1

The old Glaug kits are a bit rare and the diecast ones are expensive on eBay :(  really wish I'd picked them up at the time now :crying: I did find a 1:200 Destroid Monster the other day for a fabulous price though, so I took a punt on that.  Whoever was selling it really didn't know what it was I think :shrug:

Try this monkey on for size then!  The Destroid Monster - there was one on the top shelf of Arts & Craft when I was a kid, and it was too rich for my blood, so I made do with the Gerwalk - which I still have incidentally.  It's a bit battered, but ostensibly intact.

81mY1b8n0bL._SX355_.jpg

It's so chuffin' big that they had to make it in 1:200 to fit the box :frantic:

• Like 2