Kit storage

Simon Cornes

Possibly not the best place for this thread but I can't find a heading under 'Chat' which would do!

I want a polythene box big enough to store a built 1/32nd F-15. I am looking at a 145 litre 'Really Useful' box as the only option.

Apart from custom made MDF boxes and display cases can you think of an alternative to this box? The rough dimensions are length - around 26", wingspan - 17", height about 9"

Oh, plan 'B' is to razor saw off the wing tips - simples!!

For something that size the type you mention would be ideal with suitable packing /protection. Some of those cheapy type shops or Homebase sell these at very reasonable prices.

Do you live within the gravitational pull of an Ikea?

More to the point are you willing to give up those precious hours of your life that you'll never get back by visiting Ikea????

At least then you could set off the stored model with some pretty tealights that we always seem to end up with a barrow load of on my enforced visits there so far with Mrs FC!

• Like 1

Do you live within the gravitational pull of an Ikea?

More to the point are you willing to give up those precious hours of your life that you'll never get back by visiting Ikea????

At least then you could set off the stored model with some pretty tealights that we always seem to end up with a barrow load of on my enforced visits there so far with Mrs FC!

Cynical or what !!! I have a pair of the Ikea Dotolf display cabinets, modified to give me 11 - or is it 12? - shelves so they have done me afavour there but they don't do a sensibly priced cabinet, big enough to contain a nest of Eagles!

Thanks Paul for your suggestion. I hate these shops but did visit several over the weekend and I have a feeling that the 145 litre 'behomoth' is the only option and I can make a removable floor so that a 1/32nd F-4 can sit on the bottom with a suitable cut out for the fin and then the Eagle can sit on the top. I then have to manouevere the thing through a loft hatch so the models will have to be positioned so that they also rest on one of the short walls then I can tilt the box almost vertically. I do this already with an mdf box containing a 1/24th Hurricane and that gets tilted to around 80 degrees to come down the loft ladder but as I can't see inside, I don't worry!

Many thanks for the opinions

Simon

Come on Simon, Wilkinsons or Aldi/Lidl. You know you want to really. Chris

There's an answer to that Chris but we're in polite company! Ok, I'll try Wilkp's but I can't say I've ever seen anything remotely 'big storage box-like' in Aldi or Lidl!!

The Really Useul company responded today to confirm that their 145 litre affair is the ony one that can adequately contain an Eagle! But I live in hope that 'other suppliers' may be able to help!!

Simon

Many thanks for the suggestion but, so far, I haven't come across an under bed storage box deeper than the one you suggest - which is very frustrating. I could use one for the F15 because the fins are detachable but I still have the same problem with an F4, which sits at about 8 inches high and, of course, its better to standardise so that boxes can be stacked.

I am looking at a 145 litre 'Really Useful' box as the only option.

I find these boxes to be far sturdier than those sold by some of the big DIY chains. hobbycraft tend to have better prices than Staples, (though I haven't compared prices recently). Note that the hobbycraft price stickers are sometimes higher than the actual price, (almost invariably the case with the 35litre ones).

I have given up buying other manufacturer's boxes as so many were found to be cracked or split whilst still on display.

Buy some sheet HIPS and make one. Just like putting a kit together!

A Google search for a local HIPS supplier should give you some contacts for prices. Unfortunately I do not know of any model retailer who sells sheets that big though eBay may yield someone who does.

Peter

Buy some sheet HIPS and make one. Just like putting a kit together!

A Google search for a local HIPS supplier should give you some contacts for prices. Unfortunately I do not know of any model retailer who sells sheets that big though eBay may yield someone who does.

Peter

HIPS = High Impact Poly Styrene ??

The largest Ikea Samla container is in excess of 30"x23"x16". Problem is, these are overall dimensions and the sides are an inverted pyramid.

You could make an internal divisory from HIPS and store two kits in a box. Because of the slope, there's no risk of the divisory tilting if the dimensions are correct.

Hello Simon, I make my own out of cardboard. They can be made to your own measurements. I've made a lot bigger than the one shown. They are as strong as the thin plastic ones I've seen in shops.

AEF94C60-019D-4E79-B392-07A256E47EBE_zps

Thanks for that Fatboydim. I'm not sure how well cardboard would last in the long term - although my loft is packed with the stuff! The advantage of clear plastic boxes is that they are sort of pseudo display cases. I also know what Loft full means - rather worrying and my other half has storage boxes in her conservatory which have been through one or two to many heat/cold cycles and have become very brittle. Interesting suggestion from Bonehammer, hadn't seen that one before. Have just had a look and the price is very attractive but the tapering sides are a problem because I could divide it horizontally with an internal floor but I need at least 16" width at the bottom and I doubt I'd get that. My next port of call will be Wilko's - as much a case of knowing that I've tried but I suspect I'll have to buy the Really Useful 145 litre jobbie for £30 - compared to £13 a pop for the almost okay Ikea alternative! And PDH, well I'm not to sure about the durability of a fabricated styrene box. The stuff I saw on ebay was no more than 3mm and I have visions of corners coming unglued. Not something you want to risk with slighty weighty kits I would suggest!

Simon