First build in 20 years! Airfix Mitsubishi A6M2b Zero 1:72

As everyone has said, I see nothing that suggests this is anything other than a great build. Remember too that many of us see nothing but the faults in a completed model irrespective of what our peers may tell us.

• Like 1

All that ^^ and I think you've 'got used to the shiny'? Try taking the canopy mask off and see what you think of it then.

Looks good to me. :)

• Like 2

Well I managed to tame the dust effect down by going over the whole model with a barely damp cloth and buffing the heck out of it. It looks a LOT better now however still not as I expected it to turn out.

The canopy masks have been removed and I'm satisfied with my Mr Masking Sol R liquid mask attempt. Not the best but with no masks available I think I did ok.

On a downer note I did managed to break the starboard landing gear clean off as well the the fuel tank during all the handling required to buff the dust effect out. After a bit of frustration and much moaning I fixed them both up ok.

I used a piece of spru stretched to shape over a candle for the antenna. It took a bit of stuffing around to fix it to the Zero but it'll do as it is now. I'm not sure if I need (can be bothered more like it) to paint it or not and the pitot tube needs some green on it (again I'm not sure I can be bothered).

I'm now officially calling my first build in about 24 years finished. I will post proper pics in the finished thread when I can.

Many thanks to all of you for your wonderful support and advice during the process. You kept the wind in my sails :)

Cheers!

finish%20matt%20fixed%202_zpscl8nnvoh.jp

finish%20matt%20fixed%203_zpsgcaobrzq.jp

finish%20matt%20fixed%204_zpsymrq43up.jp

finish%20matt%20fixed_zpsizgk4enn.jpg

• Like 7

Looks great to me - well done Homer!

Buffing solved it? Was the problem then the surface finish (i.e. looked like dust) rather than the dullness? Can't really see in the photos.

If it was 'grainy/dusty' that'll probably be an airbrushing issue. Lots of stuff here and on the web on that subject; thinning, pressure, nozzle size, distance and so on. As a Newbie I find the advice useful to show where I've gone wrong but not so helpful on how to do it right as the environment, materials and tools matter so much.

So my advice would be stick to material you get on with, make notes about pressures, try different amounts of thinners, pressure and distance and practice, practice, practice!

• Like 1

By the way, I can only further recommend to watch Martin Damek's Youtube Channel (the video further up ahead is from him) ....

I spent quite some time there and it's pleasent to watch some of his techniques :)

• Like 1

CedB the surface was very dusty/grainy.....correct. I'm sure it is my airbrush technique as this is the first one I've ever owned.

I think I simply sprayed it too lightly so it was building up into a matter and matter coat as I sprayed due to instantaneously drying.

In future I think pulling back on the trigger more may help illuminate it. I may have simply been too timid on the spray.

• Like 1

Hi guys,

Work has kept me quite busy but I've finally made a DIY light box and have had a short play tonight. These are a couple of pics so far but I'm finding it hard as I'm using my LG G3 mobile phone which doesn't have any exposure controls so the Zero keeps being underexposed. These pics are post Photoshop, however I'm still not 100% happy.

I'll play again tomorrow.........

2_zpsocsvdofg.jpg

20150518_173630_zpsb3qwdrua.jpg

Edited by Homerlovesbeer
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome build and the Zero looks really great.

I'm glad I don't need to compete against you in a plastic model competition.

Whereabouts do you live here down under?

I'm from Adelaide.

Cheers

• Like 1

Welcome back Homer, been away a good few years myself and the paint, hardware and techniques that have developed over the intervening years is astounding. I will say, I have learned (and re learned) more in my few months in this great forum than I did in my earlier years, learning as I went. The guys and gals here are very helpful and give their advice freely and are very supportive. I am gradually building up my stores / tools as I build, I am sure I wouldn't have got your buying spree past my good lady wife without being consigned to the spare bedroom..... permanently :( Mind you I am trying to make the spare room my workshop. Hmmm could be the start of a cunning plan. You have made a great start and doesn't look like you have forgotten much, I will enjoy watching your build progress.... enjoy

• Like 2

Awesome build and the Zero looks really great.

I'm glad I don't need to compete against you in a plastic model competition.

Whereabouts do you live here down under?

I'm from Adelaide.

Cheers

Hi Paulo,

You are FAR too kind with your praises, I was never any good when I was a teen (my last model) so I was pretty OTT with my first model since then :) Perhaps I will enter the Zero in a comp if you reckon it's worthy? :smartass::hmmm:

I'm in Brisvegas (Brisbane for the international guys )

Cheers mate :D

Welcome back Homer, been away a good few years myself and the paint, hardware and techniques that have developed over the intervening years is astounding. I will say, I have learned (and re learned) more in my few months in this great forum than I did in my earlier years, learning as I went. The guys and gals here are very helpful and give their advice freely and are very supportive. I am gradually building up my stores / tools as I build, I am sure I wouldn't have got your buying spree past my good lady wife without being consigned to the spare bedroom..... permanently :( Mind you I am trying to make the spare room my workshop. Hmmm could be the start of a cunning plan. You have made a great start and doesn't look like you have forgotten much, I will enjoy watching your build progress.... enjoy

Hi Buster, thanks for the welcome. You are not kidding when you mention how much more info is around since the late 80's early 90's! I will say that I didn't forget much as I didn't learn that much in the beginning. I simply watched and read hours and hours of stuff before having a crack at my return kit. I agree with you regards the forum, a truly great bunch of people who are extremely supportive and create a wonderful environment to participate in.

I did go a little mad with my initial purchases didn't I lol, I've bought more since then however my other half hasn't said a thing and has been most accommodating with my new hobby. She hasn't even mentioned my spending spree (I am pretty lucky I'd say!).

My workshop is half of the dining table and my paint both is a little nook in the study with a cardboard box spray booth in it :D

I've started my new projects - a 1:72 Airfix Mk1a Spitfire (which I just finished the camo job on last night) and a Revell 1:48 F-18E Super Hornet (cockpit done).

I'll post work in progress pics soon if you think it's worth it. In the mean time here are a couple of sneak pics.

Cheers :cheers:

• Like 1

Excellent looking work there - and I don't say this lightly - very tidy, actually a joy to look at. Your modelling skills are not in any doubt in my book.

Cheers,

Nigel

Oh, except for that dodgy wing tip, maybe a little more work needed there.

• Like 1