First build in 20 years! Airfix Mitsubishi A6M2b Zero 1:72

Oh dammit! I've been working on other parts of the kit and now see that I cannot attach the tank under my Zero as there isn't a cutout for it. Was I supposed to cut this out before gluing the wings on? If I was, the instructions didn't tell me! :doh:

no%20bomb_zpsspko5bg7.jpg

Compared to Bill's

100_2515.jpg

Edited by Homerlovesbeer
  • Like 1

As much as it annoys me to do it (I'd rather buy local), I find that Hannants in the UK are a really good source for Australian-based modellers - they stock just about everything, and their postage rates are cheap. I tend to make up a biggish order and get a big box sent every so often, a few kits and lots of little bits and pieces, which don't add to the postage. The Eduard mask set, delivered, is $14.45. Which would be less per piece if you added some extra mask sets.

www.hannants.co.uk

Doing well on the build so far, and that's quite a stash for a beginner! Welcome back, great to see some more Down Under people in here.

Thanks Rob.

I've gone ahead and masked the canopy using Mr Masking Sol R. I figure if I bugger it up I can buy a whole new kit for $10.

Honestly I think the masks are far too expensive when the whole kit is the price it is.

I removed Micks work and had a crack at it myself (sorry Mick).

I'll spray soon and see how it looks. I think it will be good enough.

Edited by Homerlovesbeer

I have to agree with you re the mask prices, but once you've used one for Hurricane, P-40, Bf109 etc canopies (you know, those early ones with hundreds of little pains (sic)), it's difficult to go back to the time consuming, frustrating, inaccurate method of sticking tape on and cutting out around the edges of tiny bits. I've recently used a mask set on a Hasegawa P-40 that has canopy lines so fine that there's no way I could cut to them, even using Bare Metal foil - the Eduard mask set was a real sanity saver there. Like all things, choose what you use for any particular task - modern jets bubbles don't need masks, imo.

I know masks are very popular for canopies but just as good a result can be obtained with a paintbrush. You don't even need a really steady hand because any ovetspill is easily removed with the point of a cocktail stick. It's hourses for courses but I find applying the masks in just the right place more difficult than just painting the frames with a hairy stick!

• Like 2

Pre Shading done....holy heck this is time consuming!

I did the top first so by the time I did underneath I did a better job....should have done the reverse :doh: I had to play around with pressure. I started at 25 psi and ended up at around 18psi. I also think I probably thinned the paint just a little too much as well but it seemed to work ok. :hmmm:

pre%20shading%20top_zpsba3qohch.jpg

pre%20shading%20bottom_zpsa5lppgnc.jpg

Edited by Homerlovesbeer
  • Like 1

Probably too late regarding masks but I've just placed an order with these guys:

http://www.super-hobby.com/

They sell the Zero mask for GBP3,06 and charge 3,31 shipping from Poland. Works out at around 12,35 AUD. The best thing is that their shipping cost stays pretty stable if you get more masks, so that might be a good alternative. They are certainly cheaper than Hannants - even for me, and I live in the UK!

The underneath is now sprayed and I'm quite pleased with the result. :D The pre shading can only just be seen through the colour after lots of very fine misting coats.

I "borrowed" the correct paint from bill's build although I ended up using a slightly different ratio of 5:4 of Mr Hobby (Gunze) H24 Orange-Yellow and H34 My Hobby (Gunze) Cream Yellow, probably as I think my paint ended up a tad on the dull cream side at 50/50 ratio originally so I added a little more of the Orange-Yellow.

under%20paint1_zpsbtbopecs.jpg

I took the Zero outdoors under natural light so the pre shading is more visible

under%20paint_zpsvmt5umec.jpg

Gear doors done

gear%20doors_zpsefg81ujx.jpg

Edited by Homerlovesbeer
  • Like 2

Lovely job... it's easy to lose the preshading but it looks pretty good in the second picture. It's a shame there is no correct color match available for this trainer yellow.

Edited by sroubos
  • Like 1

Hi again guys,

I've finished painted a base silver on the gear doors and fuselage ready for painting the "aotake."

silver%20under%20AC_zpsaiicwd1b.jpg

gear%20door_zpspueuxqjq.jpg

silver%20undercarrage_zpsro12yxyd.jpg

The prop is done....black on the back and silver on the front......I'm please with the results.

prop2_zpss5negvyt.jpg

prop_zpsmebnrgrx.jpg

Bombs away

bomb_zps8dzjv3bt.jpg

I'll be spraying the "aotake" this arvo hopefully.

Hmmmm I've had this as well with some Gunze gloss paints, but I thought it was because I didn't let it dry long enough.

I solved it by gentle polishing the surface with some micro mesh or other 2000+ grid sandpaper. After decaling and a coat of future it's gone.

The learning seems to be to apply a coat of future before masking.

Edited by sroubos

It looks worse than it is - this is how you learn :)

For future, you can use kleer, or whatever other alternative you have in Oz. I have bought it as Pledge, Parket Plus, HG wooden floor cleaner, it's all the same stuff, essentially an acrylic floor polish. Don't be confused by the name or people saying you need 'real' future, all this stuff is the same. It's a rather essential bottle in a modeller's arsenal. It can be used for:

- gloss coat before decals to prevent silvering

- shine-restoring coating for transparencies (just dip in the stuff and leave to dry)

- protective coating for transparencies to prevent paint creep under masking (mask transparency using tape, spray or paint future over it, then apply required color)

- decal setting solution for really nasty thick decals

- for satin or matt coat (with satin or matt finish paints added)

- cleaning floors!

I googled for Australian alternatives, you may see a name you recognize. The stuff or its identical cousins are available through most supermarkets.

https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=future%20floor%20polish%20alternative%20australia

Edited by sroubos

Hi sroubos,

All those alternatives no longer exist in Aus....it's gone forever :weep:

The paint did not lift at all. I primed using AKprimer. It's more like the paint has tape residue on it, or even more like the tape has chemically damaged and imprinted the tape pattern into the paint. There was absolutely no paint on the actual tape when I removed it. I just double check the bin again.....nothing.

tamiya%20tape%20event2_zpsvkbnjduk.jpg

It's unbelievable :owww:

I'm so disheartened at the moment :boom:

Edited by Homerlovesbeer

It's not the tape reacting that's caused the problem, Gunze paints take longer to fully harden than a lot of people realize, yes their touch dry fairly quickly, but that doesn't mean their cured,What you have is not a reaction but the impression of the tape in the paint.

Leave it to harden off, then micromesh it back, wet sand and apply another thinned coat of the paint over the damaged area, building up the layers slowly,

It can be saved honest, I have done the exact same thing, it's a learning curve that we all go through.

• Like 1