Napier's Sabre Hawker duo, 1/72

Hi,

Two of my old kits - I still like them. They are much younger that Maryland - Hawker Tempest V - Heller/Airfix kit and Hawker Typhoon Ib - Frog kit. As far I I remember - Tempest is basicaly OOB except decals (red outlinings hand painted) wheres Typhoon was reshaped. I made smaller nose and spinner as well as re-shaped air oulet from cooler to make it similar to that of Tempest and I added bulb on canopy (this is a piece drop-like formed clear styrene glued just with Humbrol gloss varnish of the top of canopy. Perhaps there were some other operation which I do not remember now, after almost 20 years. Now I have in stash Airfix new Typhoon waiting for his turn...

The Tempest is JN765, JF.K , markings of Squadron 3 RAF, P/O Kosh, Newchurch, UK, Summer 1944.

It is like that:

tempest DSC03841tempest DSC03842tempest DSC03843tempest DSC03844tempest DSC03845

Typhoon is RB224 US.H "Land Girl" in markings of Squadron 56 RAF, Matlaske, UK, after March 1943 (name hand written):

typhoon DSC03851typhoon DSC03850typhoon DSC03849typhoon DSC03848typhoon DSC03847typhoon DSC03846

Comments welcome

Regards

Jerzy-Wojtek

Edited by JWM
Switch to Flickr
  • Like 6

Thank you Jim for nice comment, and Lasermonkey and Val for liking :)

I think Typhoon and Tempest are so great and popular subjects that almost every Britmodeller member constructed them in his life....

Cheers

J-W

Hi Jerzy!!!!

I have seen both gems posted here and liked alot the way you have finished them. This post have escaped from my eyes but fortunately after a little search I found it, surely, I am very fortunate to enjoy each pic and each detail of your nicely done works!!!

I have in my stash both kits, the lovely old Heller/Airfix (both editions) Tempest rendition of this nice warrior, and also the Frog/Novo-but mine is RPM Polish edition of the Door Car Type Typhoon...I have had many plans inmind when I bought them, the fabulous Tempest kit was bought locally at the City Hobby Shop where i worked many many years ago, and the Typhoon when Squadron made a very big sale and My Son was reading the Squadron In Action Book of both planes and ASAP asked for and wanted a Typhoon for his collection ( I already have had given a Heller Tempest before), so the things complicated because now we have two modelers in the same house and the kits have been bought by pairs.

I have had the Airfix Typhoon kit and was sold as part of a very big block of boxes dealing with British subjects many years ago, sure if one older Airfix Typhoon kit crosses in my way willbe bough together with a new one, but anyway, I bought four RPM's as one was for my son, and the other for a friend that by many reasons have not had enough money to expend in Magazines/kits as his situatuion is very delicate, and I keep two. Later discover that Frog had edited another Typhoon kit but was not succeed in find one, maybe one day Ebay makes the miracle.

I was watching your masterpieces with all this detail and loving care in the build, the Typhoon's atractive with all the armament hanging from the wings makes her very nice looking,maybe the nicestof the pair, and only hope to have enough time to produce many many models at least the half as wonderful as yours, for sure I'll be after all very grateful to God.

Thank you very much for sharing!!!

Cheers,

Luis Alfonso

• Like 1

Thank you Luis for your nice personal story with Hawkers Typhoons and Tempest in background... I am still intending to do Typhoon with four blades propeller, drop canopy, bombe insted of rockets and big Tempest-like stabiliers. I have a new Airfix one in stash - to be done this way, maybe soon since I am now doing one by one the Britts....

Cheers

J-W

• Like 1