J-11 (Fiat CR.42)

Hi everyone,

Here is what I have recently finished. A nice kit from Italeri, built almost straight from the box. In fact the only modification was the small air intake under the engine (I'm ashamed to confess I don't know what it is for) So, the kit was for a german night fighter while I wanted a Swedish J.11 and I found that the kit has different parts depending on the version it reperesents.

Otherwise it was a simple project. And even though not everything went perfect with the wings I'm quite satisfied with it.

Painted with vallejo acrylics and weathered slightly, I would say in a lazy manner with acrylic washes.

Hope you like it

IMG_20150322_141837_edited.jpg

IMG_20150322_140813_edited.jpg

IMG_20150322_140723_edited.jpg

IMG_20150322_140840_edited.jpg

Edited by stinger-d
  • Like 27

Beautifully done, congratulations!

Matt

Thank you guys! The wings were not so easy to assemble. I followed the manual, i.e. glued the struts to the upper wing. Painted everything and started to assemble. Unfortunately despite my dry fitting exercises the struts did not fit perfectly to their location holes on the lower wing.

Another issue is the holes drilled for the wires. I didn't manage to fill and sand them well.

Beautiful rendition of a very attractive biplane fighter!

The "small air intake under the engine" is the air intake to the engine carburettor. The intakes in the lower wing roots are for the engine oil cooler.

Maybe a bit late in the day, but there's an excellent article (in English) and walkaround the Swedish Air Force Museum J 11 at the Stockholm IPMS website:

http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/magazine/2007/02/stuff_eng_detail_cr42.htm

Slick modelling!

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Like 1

Thank you gentlemen!

Beautiful rendition of a very attractive biplane fighter!

The "small air intake under the engine" is the air intake to the engine carburettor. The intakes in the lower wing roots are for the engine oil cooler.

Maybe a bit late in the day, but there's an excellent article (in English) and walkaround the Swedish Air Force Museum J 11 at the Stockholm IPMS website:

http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/magazine/2007/02/stuff_eng_detail_cr42.htm

Slick modelling!

Kind regards,

Joachim

Thanks for that, in fact I see that I shaped the intake quite right. I used photos from "Swedish Fighter Colors" book, however judging by the walkaround pics I should have thinned some of the edges.

The kit is 1/72 just in case

• Like 1