Grumman TF-9J Cougar FAC

Hi Everyone, thought I`d post some pic`s of my latest effort;

1OBUkaf.jpg

My attempt at sticking together Kitty Hawk Models 1/48 `Twougar`

xqvJOXA.jpg

Done as a TF-9J, FAC Cougar, of the H&MS-13, US Marines, based at Chu Lai, South Vietnam

6MMLhrA.jpg

Built completely OOB with no additions what so ever

Ly2eMAh.jpg

Had a lot of problems getting the parts to stay stuck together on this one, as the plastic seems to only partially bond using normal cement

67UAMcU.jpg

and bits would seem to be stuck only to break off whilst handling it later on

fP1J9pR.jpg

Still, I`m glad to have one in the collection ( though I`m expecting it to fall apart if someone slams a door or sneezes loudly )

Hope you enjoy it, thanks for looking

Cheers Russ

• Like 43

Hi Russ:

Wonderful build with this problematic plastic plane, but anyway, this masterpiece you produced is a tribute that there are no bad models but just good modelers to do everything,even impossible tasks, to get from basic techniques wonderful results!!!

Thank you verymuch for sharing,

Cheers,

Luis Alfonso

• Like 1

very nice build looks great... out of interest how did you find the build????

Cheers Batcode, re; the build, if I`m honest I found it hard work, the fit is quite good especially considering its modular assembly but the sprue gates are enormous, the plastic doesn`t stick well, even using EMA Plastic weld, I had to do a lot of repairs with superglue and cellulose thinners even after I`d started painting it when bits that appeared to have stuck decided to fall off. I probably won`t be doing another one !

That,s a beautiful build and finish Russ,I think the two seater is far better looking than the single seat airframe which is not often the case,superb job

with the paintwork and weathering one of your best yet!

• Like 1

did you use any other glues before the EMA glues, & if so which ones?

Considering the problems you had that's a very tasty build, very tasty.

Thanks Spaddad; yeah, I tried Revell Contacta and Humbrol liquid cement, EMA worked a bit but repairs were done with super glue and I tried some Wilko cellulose thinners which finally made the wings stay put.

Hey Russ,

Despite the problems you encountered during the build this little bugger looks mighty fine!

Congrats on a great looking finished project!

Regards Jeroen

Edited by Robotics
  • Like 1

What an excellent finish. Another first rate model. We won't see many this well made. Well done Russ.

• Like 1