(Finished) Trumpeter Stringbag - a long term project...

And, mounted the other bits and pieces on the belly. Did come together, once again, quite easily...

37092064mt.jpg

Let her rest for the night and will see if she can handle her own considerable weight tomorrow.

Cheers, folks, and good night!

• Like 3

Now, turned her round, mounted the engine and propeller, and she stands pretty tall on my workbench...

37093257sl.jpg

37093260ry.jpg

37093261jp.jpg

37093258hw.jpg

Now, what's left to be done is the aerial rigging, the struts bracket and, once it's arrived, the Vickers gun.

Seeing a light at the end of the tunnel...

Edited by Chief Cohiba
  • Like 3

And now for the - how are these bars between the front and aft struts called? Struts brackets is correct?

Anyway, I didn't want to go for the PE-bars as well, as I didn't with the rigging, and thought, scratchbuilding them from some Evergreen poly most be easy. Just filed two two small notches to hook the wires in...

37094855sm.jpg

Dryfitted...

37094861tp.jpg

Painted...

37094860bb.jpg

Btw; this was the first time I needed these bend tweezer, but these were essential in mounting them.

What I did, just used a small drop of medium thick CA glue in each notch.

37094857fi.jpg

37094856jx.jpg

And honestly: it was easy. about two hrs, including painting. I expected more, including some unexpected troubles. Well - fine.

• Like 3

A few days off, and now back to continue with the Gaspatch Vickers K. As naturally these are pretty tiny, I once again had one of these "I'm too old for this..."-moments, but then managed to paint, and assemble it...

37129029wt.jpg

37129030wm.jpg

37129034ad.jpg

This piece is so tiny, my cellphone couldn't manage it and I took out the Macrolense for my Olympus...

• Like 1

And then, when I started to work on the aerial wire, I've noticed that it didn't stand firm, but kinda wobbly - and of course, the tail wheel broke off. 

Did I mention that I'm getting to old for this?

Ok, another try and fixing it with some CA glue, holding it in position with Blue Tac...

37129106wo.jpg

Letting it try, and whish me luck, that it works, and will hold the models weight.

Sigh...

Edited by Chief Cohiba
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, LorenSharp said:

Outstanding job on the Stringbag. I had built this many years ago but it didn't any wheres near the excellence you have done so far.

Thanks a lot, but honestly I see a lot of flaws on this, but isn't it alays like this? It's the fun building it, that counts, after all... 😉

Seems as if the tail wheel stands it's weight, and so the only job left is the aerial wire. I thought of trying out something on this, as an antenna wire usually is much thinner than the rigging wire, so I went for EZ's fine thread instead of the heavy one, I used for the rigging.

But, I've also wanted to use another style of turnbuckle, also to give it a test; I've ordered some 1/48 sized in resin from Gaspatch as well, using them on my usual WWI 1/48 models in future.

So, first question: will the fine EZ rigging wire find it's way through the pinhole?

37137107gj.jpg

And; yes, they do! But (and there's a big "but" in it; this is so tiny, I doubt that these are hard to notice after all. I'd say it is about 2mm long, so...

Also, I tried to create a real loop and wrap it around a few times - and this makes the wire almost thicker than the entire turnbuckle. Also, the CA reacts with the wire and "bends" it, so it will not turn out as a straight line.

This is how it looks installed:

37137179pt.jpg 

Looks horrible, right? But it's so tiny, you almost don't notice from a bit of a distance...

37137205ui.jpg

37137201rq.jpg

Hmmmm.....

Ok, let's put this short: I wasn't happy with it. So, for another try - this time I didn't make a sling, but just pulled it throught the pinhole and glued it with CA:

37137952nw.jpg

Btw; a tool I've found hugely helpful in applying CA in vey small doses is this quill (is this correct?):

37138008mb.jpg

A bit of paint, cutting the protruding wire:

37138015yj.jpg

• Like 3

Did I already show you how these turnbuckles come delivered:

37138026sb.jpg

37138029hf.jpg

37138028wz.jpg

Yes, these are really tiny. Honestly it's easier to work with them than expected, but will I do an entire bird, think od an 1/48 Albatros with these? Is it worth the additional trouble? I can't really say right now...

• Like 1

Ok, I guess it's finished. Maybe, as I sometimes do, I'll take her out and maybe do a bit of additional work (thinking e.g. of exhaust smoke stains on the undercarriage), but this is future work.

Before I take some pictures for the RFI, I'll add some last pictures from the mess of my workbench (I've noticed that some are with the non-corrected aerial, so please forgive...)

37138300pg.jpg

37138304gk.jpg

37138311cc.jpg

37138312bs.jpg

37138313dp.jpg

37138316rr.jpg

37138317qo.jpg

37138318ow.jpg

• Like 4

• Chief Cohiba changed the title to (Finished) Trumpeter Stringbag - a long term project...

Beautiful, very nicely done!

The rigging wire attachments can also be made by wrapping a piece of very fine wire (maybe copper wire from an electrical device) around a suitably thin drill bit, then twisting it together. They will be even fine than the resin ones! (and a lot cheaper!)

Ian

• Like 1

1 hour ago, limeypilot said:

Beautiful, very nicely done!

The rigging wire attachments can also be made by wrapping a piece of very fine wire (maybe copper wire from an electrical device) around a suitably thin drill bit, then twisting it together. They will be even fine than the resin ones! (and a lot cheaper!)

Ian

Thanks Ian, went quite fast once I've reanimated her. There are definitely some flaws in it, but it's ok after all.

I know about the method, creating turnbuckles out of thin wire, but honestly never tried by myself. I'm shying away a bit due to the extra work (and time) and these Gaspatch pieces look so tempting. But will see what I'll try on the next biplane. There are quit some in the stash... 😉

• Like 2

Most impressive, I tend to get a bit dissatisfied with aerial wires, I prefer the positive attachment method as well and that looks good. In fact the whole model looks good hope my "one day" Swordfish looks as good.

Cheers

Dennis