(Finished) Trumpeter Stringbag - a long term project...

In the past I alwys had problems with proper washing, any way I tryed, it didn't turned out the way it should. No surprise, It turned out, being an issue of lacking practice, which significantly improved when I took the heart and donored an older model of a F3F Wildcat and gave her a wash, not taking care of the results. And it turned out quite good, will probably post here sometimes, too.

But for me, oil paint and turpentine just turned out for the best.

Another thing I lacked some practice, when I started this Swordfish some years ago, was rigging - using the gaspatch turnbuckles (which honestly I'm not 100% easy with) didn't help either. Bit of overambition, maybe. But in the meantime i started with some WW! planes in 1:48, which improved at least the basic skills, so at least it improved the speed of working, if the result only to a minor level. But here are a few impressions of the rigging...

37036097ts.jpg

37036098wr.jpg

Edited by Chief Cohiba
  • Like 3

Another question, while waiting to continue with the rigging - anyone of you guys know, wht this thing at tail is?

37036605bo.png

I've seen it only on some, some lack it completely and the one in Yeovilton only has the main strut. Looks like some kind of a tube, (and I think of implementing one) but I have no idea, to be honest.

Edited by Chief Cohiba
  • Like 1

• Chief Cohiba changed the title to Trumpeter Stringbag - a long term project...

And - fanfare, please - I can report: rigging complete!

A few images to proof:

37038256fb.jpg

37038258wv.jpg

37038259ug.jpg

37038261aa.jpg

This was a bit of a longer journey up to here, phew...

(And, while not being 100% perfect, I'm happy so far)

• Like 12

11 hours ago, spitfire said:

This is encouraging as I have one in these in the stash but the rigging scares me to death, so its nice to see how to do it.

Cheers

Dennis

At keast I can provide a few lessons how NOT to do it! 😉

But compared to the PE-rigging trumpeter provides almost anything is better.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, shortCummins said:

I've got one of these in the stash, excellent job so far

I'm quite tempted to build my one now

rgds

John

Go for it - it's not the most complicated kit, and even the rigging is manageable. But: it's huge. Nobody told me that... 😉

Edited by Chief Cohiba
  • Haha 1

Wanted to use this evening to go a bit further, but just installed a few minor bitsys...

like the gunsight...

37065241hq.jpg

and the flap control wheel

37065243qv.jpg

as well as drilled the hole for the aerial...

Some days are less active than others. 't night, folks...

• Like 4

In automotive, the "marriage" is called, when the chassis is mounted to the body - and which usually is a larger step to be done. Not considering a marriage in real life...

As I have a bit of freetime today (some call a holiday) I planned to do this today. But prior I found out that my earlier post, stating that rigging is complete, was wrong. I've forgot about the wires between body and upper wing, which I've repared...

37066948yh.jpg

37066950db.jpg

I usually call these "whiskers"...

Also I plan to fix the torpedo sighting bars after installing the wings...

• Like 2

And: Done!

37067250mv.jpg

Also the torpedo sights and whiskers in their final position.

37067251eg.jpg

I must admit that this really went together well for such a large model, especially a biplane. When I think of struggling with some 1:48 thingys, this is very easy compared.

Now I think I will let it dry for some hours, giving myself a bit of an absence to these acid vapours...

• Like 6

Very nice job on the Stringbag! Although I don't normally do larger scales than 1/72nd, this is a kit where I might make an exception. I already have 1/72nd and 1/48th scale kits of the Swordfish, so why not (other than price!).

Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

Guys, while tinkering on various parts to prepare the final steps to put her on her legs, I painted the torpedo.

37085711lu.jpg

And in my memory, as well as on the one exhibited at the FAA museum, the heads had different colours.

37085720pn.jpg

I think I can remember that I've read somewhere the yellow head being for training, but honestly can be completely wrong as well. On some older b/w pictures I've seen something that looks like a glossy black (maybe red), but failed on searching for the truth. Also, I've seen grey heads, red heads, pictures of torpedoes being completely black. Some are glossy, some are somewhat matte, me being confused.

So, may I very kindly ask for a few drops of your ideas on that topic?

What I've learned (and if one has better eyes than mine, probably can read it in the table above)is,  that armed torpedoes where yellow, while red ones where for training. Lesson learned.

So, I went for yellow. But as in my imagination a bright yellow tip wouldn't fit to a wartime-battered bird, I went for Revell's "Sand", which is a matte, bit "mustardy" yellow, which I found suitable for this. With a layer of Alclad it's still shiny enough, at least for my taste. I also painted the tips of the propeller in this.

37087673jx.jpg

Also gave the other parts a Alclad cover, let them try and then go for the bellyside of the bird. Expect some more photos later...

3 hours ago, dogsbody said:

According to Aviaeology, this is what an armed aerial torpedo should look like:

48968931212_a7d818dd11_b.jpg

Some photos:

48891668228_05ebd9a1e2_c.jpg

28391545539_925af76709_z.jpg

Chris

Well, this now just adds to the confusion on colours here - but many thanks for the info!

So, options are, to accept that this one is equipped for a training flight, or change it. As it is already mounted - see next post - chances for the latter are low. 😉

As already mentioned above, went a bit further on the upside down, and mounted the undercarriage, as well as the torpedo carrier.

37092041ri.jpg

I wanted to give the tires a bit of a worn look, and tried the following:

37092049oy.jpg

To put it briefly; that's not the way how to do it. Didn't work out, as I couldn't mount wheel enough balanced, the colour came on just uneven - simply don't. 😉

But no damage done, luckily, I just drypainted the surface in charcoal and it tuned out ok.