Bristol Brigand B Mk 1 Valom 1/72 (Pic heavy)

CedB

Hey Ced, that model is looking very nice, and I can feel your misgivings about your results but I assure you it is all in your head. I have the same thoughts about my own work, something like it doesn't quite look like I wanted it to in my head, but I am reassured by the positive comments I get here, thankfully.

Reading from the bottom up of all the updates can leave one wondering what all the talk of 'clubs' was about... luckily that picture of the suit symbol sorted me out.

• Like 1

Your misgivings and misadventures aside, the finish looks superb, very nicely done indeed. :worthy:

Thanks Jon, very kind.

Well.... The paint work looks really good!! Ummm .... Chin up?

Its crap when that enthusiasm drops out, your brigand could catch up with my Hampden over a pint and have a lot on common. Supposed to finish it off by masking the lettering but just cant...

Mr p I bet your happy with yourself!

Rob

Chin is up, thanks Rob, it's just my Brigand enthusiasm that's down!

That's actually looking really nice Ced, you should be happier than you sound... I grant you that the 'club' decal issue is a bit annoying but at least you only have to provide a white square, you haven't got to try to paint a club on a kit-supplied white square :D

Thanks Stew. Perhaps I will have another go at that white square... painting white on black... good game.

No Ced your modelling skills are not average they are exceptional, what you have achieved here is brilliant and looks very good to my eyes. Keep up the good work.

Cheers,

Nigel

Thanks Nigel - I really appreciate that.

Hey Ced, that model is looking very nice, and I can feel your misgivings about your results but I assure you it is all in your head. I have the same thoughts about my own work, something like it doesn't quite look like I wanted it to in my head, but I am reassured by the positive comments I get here, thankfully.

Reading from the bottom up of all the updates can leave one wondering what all the talk of 'clubs' was about... luckily that picture of the suit symbol sorted me out.

Thanks MG. Reading from the bottom up? *

I did attack the props last night, probably not too good an idea at the end of the evening... I didn't want to make too big a hole in the resin engine blocks so decided I'd thin down the prop shafts a bit. How do you reduce the diameter of a short shaft chaps? (Resisted the Dbl-E!)

Then the 'curse of the cowlings' returned. By little tube of CA wasn't producing any glue so I got out a pin (wait for it), pushed it in the end of the tube and got CA all over my fingers - you knew that was coming didn't you! Actually I'm exaggerating... of course... but I do now have two or three hard lumps and for a while I had to walk around doing Mr Spock "Live long and prosper" impressions. I shall have a pick at it... for days.

The little voice in my head is saying"paint the white squares, paint the white squares" so I may tackle that later. Can't do anything about the 'D's though, too much!

Thanks again guys. More later.

* * Dbl-E, score 1, fnaar fnaar.

Gentlemen your support and encouragement has given me a bit more enthusiasm so I did this:

C071BF4B-64F7-4A7C-9F57-234F154ACEEB_zps

Thanks guys.White cut from an old decal. Looks fine to me. I know it doesn't line up with the front of the flash as per the scheme diagram but I couldn't see how that would work so I lined it up with the back. (Edit: OK, the flash is too low, rats) Didn't do the little 'D' on the nose. Enough is enough.

To punish the Brigand for all the pain it's given me I decided to panel line wash it. Here's the before and after shots:

6DF6D9F5-D03A-4ED6-A062-58014BA2CD5B_zpsDEE5F6FF-0D09-472D-AB41-A1A609A06F70_zps

Hmmm. That's the wash for Sky undersides. I have one for bomber black that I've never used before, so here goes.

4aab905f-4f99-406b-adb5-8191cbc0772d_zps18de426d-c018-439f-af90-be5b035d4245_zps

Dirty little Brigand! That little post-it says "Mask me" by the way and is usually on the canopy. Need reminders at my age!

So, later I'll mask the canopy and give it a matt coat, then stick it in an RFI. Thanks for looking, as always.

Edit: Decided the decals on the underside were silvering a bit so just blasted them with MicroSol. Won't be able to matt coat until tomorrow now.

• Like 7

Indeed, kind sir, 'tis... oh, I can't keep this up, sorry!

It's the Ammo Mig Jimenez set here. Not to be confused with Mig productions stuff (like I always do). I bought it in a model shop somewhere on one of my travels for £12.99. Must have been a good salesman as he also sold me the engines and exhaust set which I doubt if I'll use in anger... "The set includes an enamel product to paint spilled fuel (A.MIG-1408 FRESH ENGINE OIL) and two pigments perfect to rust and blacken exhaust". I've tried it and it's OKish but not as good as the panel wash

The panel wash set has three washes for Sky, standard DE/DG and Black finishes. You just blob it on with a brush, let capillary action take it down the panel lines and then wipe off the excess with one of your old makeup sponges. I've used it on a Spit and it really pops Sky finishes: (edited to add this *)

4C482161-7B4C-4335-978D-D3B05E137D70_zps

That was applied and wiped off quickly. Leave it a bit longer (like I did on the Brigand) and you get dirty streaks too).

Also used it on my Anson, new pictures here (he said showing off his new background!)

* Sorry about the edit. The Spit's on the ceiling so I had to get the step ladder out. Even though it's a step ladder, I treat it just like all my other ladders so it doesn't feel left out. Arf arf, humour.

• Like 8

Chuffed with the finish on the upper weathering (looking on my phone so can't really see the bottom* ) really like the effect it gives!

Also massive well done for sorting out that tail decal and how you have dealt with this kit, fantastic modelling! Well done sir!!

Rob

*bit obvious but made me chuckle

Edited by rob85
  • Like 2

You've overcome all the problems this kit has presented you with and you've got a fine-looking result.

Thanks Beard, it was very educational (certainly taught me a lesson!). I know I've used that before but I think it's funny, so there.

Hot damn, that wash looks mighty saucy!

Thanks PC! Yee haw!

Translation?

I say sir, that tincture is spiffing

Thanks Jon, I was awfully pleased with the outcome of my efforts.

Your panel-lining solution is most efficacious my good sir :D

Might I enquire of the appelation of the manufacturer?

Cheers,

Stew

Yer, we yokels arr 'avin problems wiv all dis posh talk.

Chuffed with the finish on the upper weathering (looking on my phone so can't really see the bottom* ) really like the effect it gives!

Also massive well done for sorting out that tail decal and how you have dealt with this kit, fantastic modelling! Well done sir!!

Rob

*bit obvious but made me chuckle

I'll show you my bottom in the RFI. Another obvious one but score 1 both, fnaar fnaar!

Yes, as the others have said a fine looking result. Most impressive work.

Thanks Nigel. Really appreciated.

Without sounding like an Oscar acceptance speech I'd like to thank you all for your kind comments and I couldn't have done it without you. There were times when the thing nearly went in the bin.

And it won't surprise you to know that, whilst masking the canopy ready for the matt coat (with PC's warning in my head) I thought "What's that sticking into my leg?". (I have my shorts out in this fine weather). It was a prop blade. And it fell off. That's the third one.

Matt coat and RFI in the morning / afternoon. "The Last Dambuster" talk in the evening (yay!). PC I have your book ready to (hopefully) be signed by Johnny - fingers crossed!

More tomorrow.

• Like 1

Well I'm done. Here's what I was (roughly) trying for:

G1044.jpg

and here's what we got:

3243eb64-3f62-4a20-b8c5-5130141c213c_zps

and what a journey it was. (More colour pics below). I've realised I've never done an RFI before so I'm going to save my debut for something I'm happier with. Obvious problems with comparing the two pics;

- No PE on the wings. The kit supplied some for the port wing (wrong shape) and nothing for the starboard

- No aerials; PE for the bottom was rubbish and I didn't think the PE top aerials would take the EZ line - does it?

Anyway my friends, I am leaving it here and calling this done. Mrs B brought some blue paper home from school for me:

AAD7F3C2-19BC-4284-9723-4FE3402E4DEA_zps5F734E4C-5004-4B84-9EFB-FB7D7EBEC307_zps

But I'm really liking the back scene. I've hung the model from the invisible thread and just let it swing (and the model *)

EC01EFD8-A9AA-4135-AD3D-0C5AE5CF8C91_zps

D6E169F1-A5DA-4890-8E0C-C56F668F523E_zps

Huge props! And a final look inside that cockpit:

FA0BF4AF-0A97-44B4-97DB-B252F48BE78F_zps

Can't see a thing - cuh!

That's it chaps. I'm having a nice time and a rest with the Vampire (which is really too late for my period - should have got an earlier mark) and it's, what do you call it, an easy build!

Thanks again for all your support, advice and general camaraderie!

* A final Dbl-E for this thread, score 1, fnaar fnaar.

• Like 9

No aerials; PE for the bottom was rubbish and I didn't think the PE top aerials would take the EZ line - does it?

EZ Line is very stretchy and should not put much strain on the PE aerials so I think it would work.

• Like 1

EZ Line is very stretchy and should not put much strain on the PE aerials so I think it would work.

Especially if you cut it close to the required length so it is under minimal tension (it needs a bit, but only a bit). One of the things I learnt rigging the Moth was to use longer lengths and trim if necessary, rather than stretching lengths to fit :nono:

• Like 1

Excellent work! What a brute it is.

It is only in that last pic that I realise his big it is; makes both the Whirlwind and the Annie look tiny. And it's not as if TSR2 was exactly a small aircraft

Very nice work. I got hold of one of these on Ebay after seeing you build it. Very inspiring and I also didn't realise how big the aircraft really was,

Thanks guys. Yes it is a brute of a plane and the Valom kit does it proud - it's a brute too!

Jim make sure you fit the top wing to the bottom before the nacelles to avoid that alignment problem. And watch out for warping - I ended up sticking parts together in several goes to make sure they aligned properly.

Especially if you cut it close to the required length so it is under minimal tension (it needs a bit, but only a bit). One of the things I learnt rigging the Moth was to use longer lengths and trim if necessary, rather than stretching lengths to fit :nono:

Looks like you two gentlemen want me to have a go at the rigging - har haaar me 'earties. 'Maybe' is as far as I'm prepared to go at the moment, but you know it will niggle.

Thanks guys!

• Like 1

Great result, always god to see another Bristol. Can I encourage you to take more photos and do an RFI?

Know what you mean about cockpit interiors, all that work and you can barely see it, I've cut back on interiors lately and follow the rule that if you can't see it don't waste time on it, there's plenty of other kits waiting!