Monogram 1/72 - Grumman F8F-1B Bearcat in Indochine

SAU

I felt I needed something battered from Indochina too...

I search around and found my Toko P-63 on the shelf of doom just looking sad.

P-63_t10.jpg

Nope, already to much built to participate here

Bearcat hasn't been chosen yet, so, here it is.

The old Monogram kit from 1967 with useful options like spinning wheels and a Monogram stand.

What I remember, the easiest way is to sand down the fin a bit and make it an F8F-1B.

Decal sheet from Printscale, one choice possible from GC 1/22 'Saintonge'.

Destroyed at Dien Bien Phu in March 1954 by an artillery attack.

Bearcat_r01.jpg

• Like 3

Great to see a Bearcat, I was looking through my decal stash for some Mystere IVA decals and found the Model Art set for the F-8F and did think maybe I could do one of these but I have too much on so your build is very welcome.

Be good to see this one.

Wez

The old Monogram kit is actually very good to represent a Bearcat. Much better than later kits.

Don't forget the long protruding guns for a -1B...

But I am sure it's already part of the master plan!

JR

I also found an inbox review here

Then, it already has the gun pipes and I don't have to do anything to the 3-pipe exhaust if I decide for a F8F-1B. :hmmm:

Copyright 1976 stamped on he wing but I think I've seen an earlier 60's boxing too.

Bearcat_r02.jpg

Bearcat_r03.jpg

Perfect! The seat has belts. No etch required. :)

Bearcat_r04.jpg

A bit worn canopy with some scratches.

Bearcat_r05.jpg

Edited by SAU

The old Monogram kit is actually very good to represent a Bearcat

Indeed!

Another interesting option with French Bearcats are EROM 80(?) aircrafts, fitted with a recce pod made from a drop tank (pod available at model art, and decals with Berna).

Indeed!

Another interesting option with French Bearcats are EROM 80(?) aircrafts, fitted with a recce pod made from a drop tank (pod available at model art, and decals with Berna).

Thanks for the tip, Antoine. If I hadn't had a set of decals yet, it had been an interesting option.

I found a picture of a Bearcat with a recce pod in this blog.

http://avions-de-la-guerre-d-algerie.over-blog.com/article-grumman-f8f-bearcat-francais-121043614.html

I pulled my one of these out of the stash this morning but was overwhelmed by the blueness of the plastic but otherwise was impressed by the competence of the kit so I'm looking forward to where you go with this.

Wez

I went for all black in cockpit, engine cowling in interior green and the engine in neutral grey 43.

Grumman instructions was bottom half interior green but the built models I've seen

have been black or oversprayed black with dark blue.

Bearcat_r06.jpg

Make ready for the F16F Twin Bearcat. :whistle:

Well an odd all-in-one solution to mate the wing and the fuselage.

Bearcat_r07.jpg