Hobbyboss MS.406 in Palestine **COMPLETED!**

The reference I have gives the French brown (Brun fonce) as being close to FS 30045, and it's shown as a rich, chocolate brown, darker and redder than RAF Dark Earth. The same reference gives Humbrol 98 as a suggested match.

Hope this helps.

I agree with Mitch re the brown, although Humbrol 133 gives some good results.

Cheers

JR

• Like 1

I agree with Mitch re the brown, although Humbrol 133 gives some good results.

Cheers

JR

That's useful to know Jean. I'm glad someone gets "Good results" from Humbrol! I'm normally a Tamiya user, and XF64 seems pretty close if you go that route.

There was a very nice Potez built on Britmodeller a while ago, when I asked what the paints used were I got the following answer

The Humbrol numbers I used to paint Potez were:
underside - 166 + 89
gris bleu fonce (grey) – 79 Matt Blue Grey
terre fonce marron (brown) – 113 Matt Rust
and the green colour - 159 Khaki Drab

Cheers

Dennis

• 2 weeks later...

Started to lay down the other colours, currently a little washed out as they had to be resurrected but the basic pattern is down. Do people think this looks a fair balance of the three shades?

image.jpg3_zps1cwmphxk.jpg

image.jpg1_zpsf2c3okgz.jpg

image.jpg2_zpsfjwr60po.jpg

Edited by charlie_c67

Hi Charlie,

my feeling is that the brown is not dark enough. It should be more dark chocolate colour.

From your picture the other two colours look pretty much in the right ball park.

Looks good!

JR

Cheers chaps! I've another two WWII craft (D.520 and Cr714) that I want to do as escaped aircraft, but with a Whif twist. Since the schemes were similar wherever you were in the French Empire this is very helpful!

Your brown is now much improved.

Good show.

JR

Hi,

you're still looking for a photo ??
Maybe I found one in the czech Jakab No. 14 MS.406 C1 Vol.2. on page 42.
It shows No. 788 (L-817) after the crash.

Edit:
Ah, sorry, now I see, you're looking for 826.

Edited by MiG-Mech

Just hope the green is Khaki enough when it goes on properly!

It looks about right to me: it's pretty green, not like a British Army khaki.

Calamity! While applying the few decals there are in the kit, I managed to screw up the tail flash :(. The next few steps will have to be exceedingly careful as masking is fraught with risk due to the proximity of the fuselage markings. I hope to have something suitable in my collection, else it'll possibly be back to the paintbox...

Almost finished! Just waiting for a helping hand from Mitch who's kindly solved my tail flash issue, and a final varnish. I've a water based satin finish which I hope will be sufficient. Now to finish the Sea Hurricane...

5D405F0D-DE7D-4C75-B127-2011B58253AB_zps

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

So this happened...

45423101-BC49-4672-8FC9-786D44488E56_zps

2412B523-8F4B-4114-9500-FF970E7592F5_zps

It arrived while I was at work and went straight on that evening thanks Mitch! I will do better pics tomorrow in sunlight for the gallery as well as a final critqué. Just in time for the Tornado memorial build!

• Like 4

F44FDE8E-398E-4C65-A844-5D96742283E6_zps

As you can see, all finished, varnished and now in the gallery! Things I'd do differently? But more time with the sanding/filling. It's not horrendous, but there's a few places that could've been better. More time and patience with the decals as well, hopefully I'll be able to put these to good use in my next group build of the Tonka(s) and the Hurri's!

• Like 6