Renault RE30B

My final entry for this GB - this one is so far out of my comfort zone that it's scaring me! :door:

R-001.jpg

The Renault RE30 was introduced for the 1981 season but did not do particularly well. For 1982 the RE30B was introduced with a new nose, wing and uprated engine. Again, the car was plagued by unreliability throughout the season, but the problems seemed to disappear for the French Grand Prix. René Arnoux and Alain Prost took first and second place respectively in these cars. The placings caused some controversy as Prost claimed that there was an agreement for Arnoux to give him first place to help his standing in the championship. Arnoux and Prost never seemed to get along...

So, this model will represent René Arnoux's car at the French Grand Prix in 1982. A French car driven by a Frenchman winning a French race! :thumbsup:

• Like 6

Fantastic choice!

I hope it being out of your comfort zone doesn't put you off.

Good luck with this one in particular.

Wez

• Like 1

I hope it being out of your comfort zone doesn't put you off.

I'm making an effort to step outside the comfort zone. Last year I built a tank and a figure. This year I have another tank and this racing car on the go. Maybe another figure later in the year.

The sprues are different colours, maybe to allow it to be built with a minimum of painting - just like the original Matchbox kits! :lol:

R-002.jpg

My eyes! My eyes! :coolio:

R-003.jpg

R-004.jpg

R-005.jpg

I bought the kit off evilbay. As you can see, the decals (top) are way past their best, so I bought some replacements (bottom) from Indycals. http://www.indycals.net/

R-006.jpg

Gee Enzo, on this one you are on your own!!!
I am somewhat allergic to noisy things on wheels turning mindlessly in circle
But that is just me!

Good luck anyway!
JR

• Like 1

Great choice, it's a lovely kit, built it many moons ago but recently bought it again.

Looking forward to seeing what you do with it.

Cheers,

Warren

• Like 1

I lied! I am still watching.

This looks suspiciously like my coffee machine, except mine is not a Renault. But just as noisy I guess.

Not bad at all, I dare say.

Cheers

JR

• Like 1

Jean,

Stop distracting Enzo!

Enzo,

Nice work so far - it's not like any coffee machine I've ever seen!

Wez

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Time for an update.

This is the turbocharger and intercooler assembly.

R-008.jpg

Front suspension assembly in place.

R-009.jpg

And the monocoque parts ready for assembly.

R-010.jpg

Assembled...

R-011.jpg

R-012.jpg

And with the engine and gearbox tacked into position.

R-013.jpg

Painting has been incredibly easy as everything is sprayed from a auto paint rattle can.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Some more work on the engine. Exhausts have been added, as has the cabling. The gearbox and lower surface of the body have also been cemented into place.

R-014.jpg

R-015.jpg

Wheels and upper body tacked on. Starting to look the part now.

The body was sprayed with Domestic Appliance White from a rattle can. It was masked off with Tamiya tape and the yellow was sprayed, also from a rattle can. I thought the yellow would be an easy choice - just get some Renault yellow, right? But it seems as though Renault don't use yellow, so I used Fiat Broom Yellow instead. :D

R-016.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Almost ready for the stickers.

I was expecting that long black cheatline to give me some problems. But no... the Indycals behaved perfectly! :thumbsup:

An hour or so applying stickers, another hour fitting the seat harness and ten minutes adding greeblies gave me this...

R-018.jpg

• Like 1

Arrrrggghhh! Maybe not quite finished!

Look at the Champion logos on the sides... :wall: That's where I held the upper section and the decals obviously weren't sealed. I'll see what I can do about repositioning them.

• 1 month later...

I found the Indycals to be absolutely top-notch. They have excellent colour density and adhere well while they are very thin. The thinness of the decals leads to the only minor drawback in that the long stripes need care when applying so that they don't roll up on themselves. However, that applies equally to any decals.

I recommend Indycals very highly and will certainly be using them for future projects.

• Like 2