Potez 63-11

We've heard about quite a few "ugly" French aircraft from before the Second World War. Well, I'd like to throw my hat into the ring with this one, the Potez 63-11. I have heard this aircraft described as ugly... I will admit that it doesn't have a conventional beauty, but I think it's such a superb looking aircraft. It also gives me the chance to paint that excellent French three-colour camouflage.

P-001.jpg

Edited by Enzo Matrix
  • Like 7

Enzo and his love affair with the Potez 63, I knew this would be along some time.

I would never describe this aircraft as ugly, in fact I think it was rather graceful.

The Free French forces in the UK used a lot of French aircraft when based at Odiham circa 1941, I'm not sure whether any of these were amongst those aircraft but it would be great to see one of these in RAF roundels.

Looking forward to this.

Wez

• Like 3

The Free French forces in the UK used a lot of French aircraft when based at Odiham circa 1941, I'm not sure whether any of these were amongst those aircraft but it would be great to see one of these in RAF roundels.

That option is actually in the box, albeit for an aircraft based in Haifa. It is in standard French camouflage with RAF roundels on the upper wings and fuselage, RAF fin flash covering the entire outer surfaces of the fins (but not the rudders)and black/white wing undersurfaces. With that undersurface scheme, it looks very much like a Westland Whirlwind from below.

the 63-11 is the sexiest of these French twin engine aircraft of that time! With the possible exception of the Bloch 174. These are my own feelings, but I am chuft you are modeling this very plane!

I hope the transparencies are an easier affair than in the old Heller Musee offering...

That is a thread I am going to follow avidly.

JR

• Like 1

That's the very one I was referring to!!!

Caution: Not for the faint hearted!!!

Do you fancy a try?

JR

That's the very one I was referring to!!!

Caution: Not for the faint hearted!!!

Do you fancy a try?

I do! But not for this GB.

This kit has been in The Stash for nearly four decades. I get quite sentimental about these kits and want to do right by my old friends. I have built a couple of them recently

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234929037-an-old-friend/

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234974854-killer-sharks-and-an-old-friend/

The Heller kit of the 63-11 was the one which kicked off my love affair with the aircraft. I bought the kit in 1978 on a family holiday in Brittany (and it was quite old then!) so this one has a lot of sentimental value for me. As you can see from the photos, it has been well fondled and loved.

When I build it (notice the when) I need to make sure that I can give it the attention that it deserves.

A question!

What was the cockpit interior colour of these aircraft. I have seen conflicting references. Some claim that the colour was chamois. Others claim bleu interieur. I'm pretty sure that chamois was used for the wheel bays but I'm unsure about the cockpit and fuselage interior.

Add another devotee of the 63-11 here :)

The Heller instructions in my kit indicate Chamois for the cockpit interior, but those I have seen built on the [email protected] site have all been done in Bleu de Nuit with Chamois wheelbays; in the absence of any input from our French forum-mates, that's what I'll be doing when I do mine ;)

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

As a general rule, bombers are in chamois, fighters are in bleu de nuit. However, Potez were the exception.

John.

PS - this is received wisdom, someone who seemed to be in the know said.

• Like 1

Here we go. Hold on tight, rider! :D

I believe that Azur are an arm of MPM/Special Hobby. The mouldings certain seem to bear that out. Crisp and clean, they are still obviously a product of short-run moulding techniques. There are no locating pins on the fuselage halves and there are some huge ejection pin towers which may need trimming. This certainly won't fall together like recent Airtamigawaduard kits will, but for anyone who has a couple short-run kits under their belt it shouldn't present any problems.

P-002.jpg

P-003.jpg

P-004.jpg

Only slightly crispier than the Heller kit!

What a pleasure to look at!

Interiors in chamois.

Have a lot of fun!

JR

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Nice choice Enzo,

I too like some of these early war french machines, I think it looks quite nice.

Some of the twin engined light bombers and attack aircraft are quite nice and look fast and nimble, it's the heavy and medium bombers that look awful!

Rich

• Like 1

A question!

What was the cockpit interior colour of these aircraft. I have seen conflicting references. Some claim that the colour was chamois. Others claim bleu interieur. I'm pretty sure that chamois was used for the wheel bays but I'm unsure about the cockpit and fuselage interior.

Until end 1939, the interior was "dark and neutral color" (example Breguet stipule "gris bleu" - blue grey)

Since end 39, the "bleu nuit" appears.

"Chamois" for area of fuselage interior except visible areas cockpit

"bleu nuit" for visible area cockpit except instrument panel which will be flat black/

The quality of "Chamois" was not enough protective to be used for the areas exposed at the corrosive agents, so it was not used for wheel wells when there was not doors which close totally

"chamois" was used for closed members (ribs, frame boxes)

below, left: probably "gris bleu" and right , "bleu nuit"

http://i70.servimg.com/u/f70/12/72/19/33/gb_ou_10.jpg

There were three oxygen cylinder, white or grey with white top.

• Like 2

Somewhere in my references I have a couple of photos showing a very light interior colour on the 63-11, for which chamois would make sense. I have to find them though, and that may not be so easy at the mo.

But hell, why not bleu nuit? That was the interior colour on aircraft like the D520, so why not on the Potez, or some of them anyway.

JR

• Like 1

On the technical drawings of MS and Breguet, june 1939, the interior was indicated "gris bleu clair" and "gris bleu". Breguet wrote: All areas not exposed to corrosive agenst will be painted chamois(category 2).
All others paints were category 1 better than category 2.
In the D520 technical manual (1940), it was wrote: cockpit, chamois protective coat will be overcoated by one coat of night blue.

But the pictures of D520 build before 40 show a lighter color. perhaps "blue grey".
Thus the Potez could be painted in blue grey or night blue depending on the date of production(see pictures in my previous post).

On the picture, the interior could appear lighter than reality, the exposure is for show the detail in the shadow.
Look at this pic of Latecoere 298, it is light, it is not chamois, but blue grey (wreckage)cadres10.jpg

All french constructors applied the rules of Ministere de l'air, so the cockpit or areas communicating with the outside were not painted with chamois , or this color was overcoated by one other color.

Edited by BS_w
  • Like 3

A minor update. As shown earlier, I painted the cockpit chamois. I think that it has been established that the cockpit areas were gris blue. The problem for me is that I have already glued the fuselage halves together. No way am I sawing them apart again so I'm going to make an attempt to repaint them in situ. The nose areas will be perfectly straightforward. The main cockpit is relatively open so we will see how things go.

I will be using Xtracrylix XA1126 Dark Blue Grey. The undercarriage bays will still be done in chamois - call it a bit of modellers' licence, but I really want to use that colour on an aircraft!

• Like 1